buying advice mr16 12v led spot

felipe007

Newly Enlightened
hello everybody,

i came to this subforum cause i know there are some experts out there that can help me.

a friend of mine has a shop, she is running 18 * 50w halogen spots in her shop, making up for a huge amount of money on electricity.

i told her to get led spots, and she did, but the lighting advisor just ripped her off.
(not enough lumen, way to wide flood.... and extremely pricey)

so here i am, i'm looking for a led spot mr16 of 12v, i don't care if it is a single led, there are 3 leds or there are 65 or whatsoever leds.

the halogen spots that were used where 50 watt at 60 degrees,
having an average of 20 lumen per watt: this makes 1000 lumen at 60 degrees.
1000 lumen is way out of reach of a normal cheap led spot. But at 60 degrees i find the throw too wide, so we could settle with somewhere between 30-40 degrees.
a quick calculation shows that with 300 lumen at 35degrees, or 220 at 30 degrees i can get the same lux. (since it is only for throwing light on some items in her shop, she don't need a lot of lumen and wide flood).

what should i buy guys ? there are plenty things outthere. there are no brands but with an edison led inside... there are big brands(for big money)... and there are the no brands with no brands stuff in it (i don't wanna buy these cause they might get broken very fast);

thanks a lot
greetz

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't belive what sellers tell you , i've tried many (few dozens) of led mr 16, not one is as bright as 50w halogen, the brightest one i got is 3x3w leds, seller said it is as bright as 50w lamp, well b.s. close to 20w halogen.
also don't calculate output by lm\w, leds in those bulbs are not driven to full potential, they have to build a lamp that might be used in fixtures that are sealed, so no airflow=heat issues, that is why they are not near 90lm\w or so , whatever datasheet for led says.
don't expect any single mr16 be as bright as single 50w halogen, few of them may be.

if you could increase voltage to halogen bulb to 16-18v you will see output jump dramaticly, you can use 20w halogen overdriven it will be almost as bright as 50w driven normaly, just get long life bulb 2000hours or more.

Last edited:

felipe007

Newly Enlightened
that is an interesting view, but changing all the transfo's to 18v might be a bit more than the owners wants. i'll try to convince her.
in her case the mr16 are free floating in the air, and can give all their heat to the surrounding so that would be okee.

i think she don't need 50 watt's, what she needs is more focus, i bet she would do fine with a 35 watt at 30 degrees. so that leaves even more room to back down on power. in your theory maybe a 20watt at 16v could just do the trick.

still i'm hoping of some kind of led solution, my solarfoce l2r at 2.4 volt is throwing enough light for the purpose,
i looked at solarforce, and they have modules that take up 18v. even at 260 lumen i guess it could be allright

thanks a lot

felipe007

Newly Enlightened
mm, i thought about something,

those halogens at 35watt are rated at 12v, if you gonna put 16-18v on it, they will use more power; even if the resistance isn't lineair, the power will go up at least to (35/12)*16v = 46watt , so that makes a 50watt halogen. so that might not be an answer to the problem, or am i mistaking ?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh i thought we talking about 1 bulb, if you got many, don't bother with tranfo's replacment you pbly wont win much $wise, if at all.
also i just looked at the data, running 20w bulb at 18v will give you 3x lumens at around 40w, but the worst thing is bulb life will be way too low for fixture, it would be acceptable for a flashlight, but not for fixture, my bad.

but what i said about led mr16 still true. also you might wanna buy 1 to test before you pull the trigger to raplace all, i stil can't find led bulb to replace all mine gu10's (same mr16 but for 110v), good thing i use those bulbs i tried (that didn't perform as 50w halogens) for flashlight builds, otherways i'd lost lots of money. on avarige each is $20.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, i have not seen that builb yet, 10w with a fan!!! that is new, i hope they make gu10 version.

felipe007

Newly Enlightened
mmm, a led with a fan, i'm just not so much a fan of that. the fan will make noise, and with 20 in a room, this is not an option, and you can be shure they will break after a few years, so the 50.000hours will not be achieved. the ledbulb of 7 watt looks good if it has no fan, i might even drill holes in the plasti case, so that there is a lot of air moving around; i'll look into it thanks guys

felipe007

Newly Enlightened
i have looked around but nowhere i can seem the find a shop that sell the azelite. with 7 watt at 27 degrees i would probably make it. i will order one and see what it does;

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Search ebay for 12v 10w cree mr-16 and you'll find the azelite.

My fanned LED lights are silent. My CFL's and LVD's hum louder than the LED w/fan. Definitely worth getting one of the fanned Philips MR16's from Homedepot or lightbulbsusa for testing.