Any new 10440 capable keychain lights?

cashrip

Newly Enlightened
i just recieved a ray s20 and im running 10440s threw it. its just as bright as my ld20, roughly 200 lumens. only problem is that after a min or so it starts to heat up, but i think any light this small running those batteries will. go check em out on the marketplace, $29 shipped.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could try iTP's A3 EOS Upgraded. It's cheap, but same as what cashrip said, just a few seconds running it, it WILL heat up so much. Leaving it on low (about 10+ lumens) and medium (about 40+ lumens) should keep it running hours longer than if it was on primary AAA's. The max is 200+ lumens on 10440's but in less than 15 seconds, it will be hot to the touch, im sure if left on, the light will die in about a minute or so. (i guess this depends on the climate, it is already hot here as it is (tropical climate))

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run a 10440 in my LD01 with no problems. To give you an idea, on high the beam is indistinguishable in every way from my H51.

flashflood

Enlightened
you could try iTP's A3 EOS Upgraded. It's cheap, but same as what cashrip said, just a few seconds running it, it WILL heat up so much. Leaving it on low (about 10+ lumens) and medium (about 40+ lumens) should keep it running hours longer than if it was on primary AAA's. The max is 200+ lumens on 10440's but in less than 15 seconds, it will be hot to the touch, im sure if left on, the light will die in about a minute or so. (i guess this depends on the climate, it is already hot here as it is (tropical climate))

The iTP doesn't die. It's a total champ. It does get warm, but that's not a bug, it's a feature -- it means the LED heatsink has a good thermal pathway to the body, so it is effectively dissipating the heat. Hold it nice and tight so that your body provides continuous liquid cooling -- very effective.

I have much bigger and badder lights, but pound for pound (that's gram for gram for you metric people) it's the best thing going. Cheap, powerful, durable, tiny.

belomeclone

Enlightened
I'm rolling with the Tank007, and people say it works, should I just pop one in (aka buy one) and find out?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
The iTP doesn't die. It's a total champ. It does get warm, but that's not a bug, it's a feature -- it means the LED heatsink has a good thermal pathway to the body, so it is effectively dissipating the heat. Hold it nice and tight so that your body provides continuous liquid cooling -- very effective.

I have much bigger and badder lights, but pound for pound (that's gram for gram for you metric people) it's the best thing going. Cheap, powerful, durable, tiny.

That's great to hear! I didnt want to risk an LED burnout. hehehe... I just got this iTP A3 EOS Upgraded! hehehe.... I tried running it longer, about a minute or so by holding it up to the aircon vent for cooling, it still got warm.

Would you know if the Quark Mini's are as bright or brighter on 10440's and on 14500s for the AA version?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, check out the lumintop WORM:
Lumintop-worm-R5.jpg

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened

So how may minutes continuously you turned on your itp a3 on 10440?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Just a gentle reminder for people running 10440s in lights not explicitly designed for 3.7v - the reason these lights are so bright is because they are running direct drive and pulling high current from the battery. Most regular 10440s are not designed for this high current draw, but IMR 10440 batteries can cope better, and so are less likely to go poof! when recharging. IMR 10440s are a bit harder to find, but worth the effort for the increase in safety.

Have fun with your little BRIGHT lights :)

flashflood

Enlightened
Just a gentle reminder for people running 10440s in lights not explicitly designed for 3.7v - the reason these lights are so bright is because they are running direct drive and pulling high current from the battery. Most regular 10440s are not designed for this high current draw, but IMR 10440 batteries can cope better, and so are less likely to go poof! when recharging. IMR 10440s are a bit harder to find, but worth the effort for the increase in safety.

I have been unable to find any IMR 10440 with a brand name on the label. By "brand name" I don't mean "good brand name", I mean "any indication whatsoever who the manufacturer is". Have you found a trustworthy source for them?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use trustfire unprotected 10440's so far no problems. i check the voltage from time to time with my tester, especially after long usage, so if ever its running a bit low, i take it out and recharge it. i wont wait for it to die, as what you said, the light goes into direct-drive mode therefore no regulation, right? that way, the battery wont be completely drained and no "poof"-ing will occur :)

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are there any disadvantages with the IMR's compared to the Li-ion's?

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wont wait for it to die, as what you said, the light goes into direct-drive mode therefore no regulation, right? that way, the battery wont be completely drained and no "poof"-ing will occur :)
You're not looking at just depth of drain being an issue. Direct drive does give you warning for that issue as the brightness dips.With a 10440 direct drive can take you past the rated spec for max discharge rate. With small bodies, you're also tending to do that in a condition where the cell is under quite a bit of heat stress. That still leaves some chance of "poof" even without completely draining the cell.