Need help.

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
Any suggestions for a headlamp to go through brush/creeks. And things of that nature.

Using. AA/AAA
under $100
Waterproof tough and reliable

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA would be any of the Princeton Tec, Black Diamond, Petzl detached (rear) battery pack headlamps (Apex, Icon,Myo XP) and single AA aluminum lamps would be from Zebralight and Spark.

Traditional AAA plastic headlamps would be BD Storm, Petzl XP2, and PT EOS.

The Storm and the EOS are waterproof. I don't know about the rest in that regard.

Beyond that I think you would need to be more specific as to what you're looking for...type of beam, brightness, spot and flood, red LED?

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also see the "Threads of Interest" sticky at the top of this sub-forum for additional help shopping a headlamp.

tbone1993

Newly Enlightened
Beyond that I would you would need to be more specific as to what you're looking for...type of beam, brightness, spot and flood, red LED?

Honestly im not sure, a red led is not a necessity. Since if I have a light to use im not worried about conserving my night vision and im not following blood trials. As for birghtnrdd and the type of beam I was wondering if anyone with outdoor experience had a prefernce.

I live in the city so its difficult to find a dark enough spot to test the differences between a floody headlamp and one with throw. I have little to no experiennce with high quality floody lights.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can give you a few lights to find online and to look up reviews on and to check the specification for. For hiking/climbing/outdoor use I use the Black Diamond Storm which uses 4 AAA's. It has a spot and a flood mode.

Many people like Zebralights and you might check out the H51 and the H51F models. They each use 1 AA battery. The H51 is the spot model and the H51F is the floody model (although not a pure flood).

Personally I like pure flood for inside a tent or for just sitting around camp but for hiking in the dark I want something with more throw than a pure flood. A slightly diffused spot beam works well for hiking in the dark as long as there is enough spill close to your feet to see where you are going.

A lot of this is personal preference so at least you now have a few lights to read about.