New guy...just got a ITP A3 EOS

songa

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, brand new to the forums here and getting into some good quality LED lights...just got a ITP A3 EOS after reading all your recommendations on here. shoudl come in shortly!

quick question...i was looking at the Maratac AAA's as well, but why do they still use the XP-E Q5's? does anyone know if they'll ever upgrade to a XP-G R5?

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, songa :)

I'll move your thread next door to the LED Flashlights section.

Deal4

Enlightened
hey guys, brand new to the forums here and getting into some good quality LED lights...just got a ITP A3 EOS after reading all your recommendations on here. shoudl come in shortly!

quick question...i was looking at the Maratac AAA's as well, but why do they still use the XP-E Q5's? does anyone know if they'll ever upgrade to a XP-G R5?
Hi songa! :welcome:
Well, I don't personally have this light so I cannot comment much, but I thought I would warn you that the Maratac is made by iTP so is basically the same light. I have heard that Maratac is a little more money too.
I have a good friend who had the Maratac AAA, but lost it as the clip broke off and he lost the light. He warned me away from the light.:shrug: Do what you want with that.
Well enjoy your time here at CPF, I sure do!
Shad

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Welcome songa

I have both the A3 EOS and the preon revo in both XP-E and XP-G, and I'm not sure I can tell the difference in brightness. The XP-G R5 may be looks brighter but I wouldn't bet too much money on that.

What you will notice is the beam profiles are very different and you will probably immediately prefer one over the other. The XP-E beam profile in a AAA light is much more focused hotspot, I hesitate to say throwy because a AAA is not really made as a thrower, but you get the idea, it is more focused and appears to throw further. The XP-G on the other hand has a wider hotspot, and slightly more spill.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't say hands down the XP-G R5 is "better than" the XP-E Q5. They are different and I would not avoid a XP-E Q5 because it is still plenty bright for a small light.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightness difference between XP-E Q5 and XP-G R5 is negligible when you are comparing it in lights that use a tiny cell like AAA for power source.