What is the best Windproof, refillable cigarette lighter?

GLaDOS

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a fairly inexpensive, refillable, windproof cigarette lighter for my wife, but I have no clue what is a good, reliable brand and/or model.

Ideally, she would be able to pull the lighter out of her purse or pocket, light a cigarette with little or no trouble, and then toss the lighter back into her purse or pocket without having to worry about it leaking or coming on by accident. She currently buys those disposable Bic lighters, but they don't light well (if at all) when it is windy.

A link and/or brand name and model number would be most helpful.

:anyone:

egrep

Enlightened
I recently aquired a Windmill Trekker. It's somewhat large perhaps. The Windmill classic and delta may be more to her taste. These lighters are good to 80MPH winds. Also there is the Brunton Storm which uses the same method (tungsten coil).

Enjoy

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a plain ole zippo? They don't stay lit in 80mph winds but how often are you going to be in that environment?

GLaDOS

Newly Enlightened
What about a plain ole zippo? They don't stay lit in 80mph winds but how often are you going to be in that environment?

It doesn't necessarily have to be 80mph winds, but I would like for her to be able to have the window open in the car while she's driving and still be able to light it. She's not able to do that with the disposable lighters we currently buy.

GLaDOS

Newly Enlightened
I recently aquired a Windmill Trekker. It's somewhat large perhaps. The Windmill classic and delta may be more to her taste. These lighters are good to 80MPH winds. Also there is the Brunton Storm which uses the same method (tungsten coil).

Enjoy

Where would I find those lighters? Are they available at most smoke shops, or would I have to order them online?

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
Teh Google is yer friend. But I bought mine from Amazon. I think Bug Out Gear USA has them as well (I think I got my best overall price at Amazon though). The vendor for the Brunton Storm via Amazon never fulfilled my order so I may one day try that again. The Windmill however has met my expectations nicely.

Good luck in your quest! :)

Philip2

Newly Enlightened
Zippos leak evaporated fuel, even if sealed with tape. So I consider them outdated.

RTR882

Newly Enlightened
Coleman makes a great windproof butane lighter. Piezo ignition and very windproof. Lightweight too. Find it in the camping section of stores. Ten to fifteen bucks.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colibri makes some nice models too, there's some that look like an old Zippo on a certain auction site for under $30. Windmill, Coleman, et. Al. Might be functional but esp. When buying for wife aesthetics are important. In fact I may pick one up because I had the same experience as Philip2 with Zippo - if you use it every day it's fine but not if it's used infrequently; when you need it it'll be dead. Also modern piezo butane lighters get rid of fussing about with flints. All you need is butane and in a pinch you can get it in the tool section of your local hardware store if you can't get cigar aficionado quality butane conveniently. I don't smoke but having fire available is good and a using a fire steel and the spine of your knife when someone in a bar asks you if you have a light or you want to light some candles may get you strange looks :)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk