Orange peel reflector vs. Lens with LDF coating

PeterB

Enlightened
has somebody experience with both beam smoothing techniques? Do they result in similar brighness and beam shape?

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll throw acrylite in as a third option that I would like to see compared. Otokoyama?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a mini-Mag lens with the LDF on it. It was a much more diffusive lens than the Acrylite mini-Mag lens I have. I thought it took too much brightness away, myself, and it didn't leave much of a hotspot with a NX-05. But then, the NX-05 already is a pretty nice beam.
I haven't tried it on a reflectored light.

The Acrylite by itself, is very nice material. I forget all the grades of it, but some diffuse more than others, although, I found it impossible to tell the differences by eye only.
I have tested the Acrylite on an Inretech Super6, and a lambda Megaclops SE. The Super6 casts a swath of light, and didn't really benefit from the diffusion, but the Megaclops did.
At the time I tested it, I didn't have the Krylon sputtered reflector. The Acrylite smoothed out the minor artifacts present with the side emitter and Mag reflector, and completely removed the shadows from the die leads that were visible in the beam.

I have a headlamp with an orange peel type reflector, the older style Pelican HeadsUP Lite. The beam is pretty smooth, no rings or voids, but it isn't perfect. It's kind of raggedy around the edges, or splotchy.

lambda's Krylon sputtered Mag reflectors smooth a beam very very nice, as well. If they're not going to be used in very hot incandescent mod, it's a great alternative.

I don't have a light in which to try all three.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
You can see the difference between Acrylite and an "orange peel" reflector in this Comparison of Incandescent Flashlights review. The source is a Carley 808 driven by 6Cs. The main purpose of this thread was to compare the TigerLight to the Streamlight SL-xx series.

The "orange peel" reflectors have a very nice "round" beam as a number of people who soon receive their Perfect Mag Reflectors will find out.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the orange peel reflector and it is really nice.
I don't have any of the diffusing lenses, so cannot do any comparison. I use the reflector in my mag 5W mod and the result is absolutely superb. no more donut hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

great job, otokoyama /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ups, i hope this does not count as cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
shiftd: I'm not surprised that you're the first to report since I could have practically thrown the reflector to you. I'm glad you like it! Actually, I'm relieved!

I posted pictures of a stock beam and beam with "orange peel" in this CPF thread. Here are pictures of the same lights with stock reflector and Acrylite lenses. Please note that these pictures show more area than the ones in the other thread.
AcryliteTest.jpg

The "orange peel" is rounder, brighter, and slightly more diffuse, but for $4 the Acrylite is an inexpensive way to get a decent beam without losing much brightness or getting too diffuse.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woot, i did not notice it that you are in the so cal also. that is why i get is fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
anyway, i was trying to post a pic of lux 5W with reflector and cam version and really, i found it difficult to depict what really happen in real life to a picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I'm sorry that I didn't make this clear. These images are intended to be an Acrylite column added to the stock and "orange peel" columns in the other images.

The top is Mag 2C stock reflector with Acrylite. The bottom is Mag 3C EverLED and stock reflector with Acrylite.

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, I see.. they are both stock with acrylite, but sifferent lamps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif (must get more coffee...)

Otokoyama

Enlightened
That's right. The other image has the stock without Acrylite and "orange peel". No coffee needed here, just sleep.

soloco

Enlightened
I think orange peeled reflectors are far superior to any kind of LDF trick. I've tried both and I definitely can tell that I am losing brightness with the LDF.

rodfran

Enlightened
I am very happy with my Megalite HD from Lambda. It has the orange peel reflector and does a great job of beam smoothing.
I have not used Acrylite or LDF, but I have read reports of reducton in brightness.
Otokoyama`s perfect mag reflector sounds like the best combination to me-orange peel in a metal reflector. I got in too late to order one. Maybe he will make another run someday-hint,hint!

Otokoyama

Enlightened
soloco: I hope you're not equating "losing brightness" to losing photons.

Diffusion lenses and stochastic ("orange peel") reflectors both spread photons over a larger area. Any individual area within the beam will appear to be "losing brightness" with "throw" definitely affected, but the end result is a beam that may be more useful because it is more uniform, with most photons remaining on target. This is somewhat like the "throw" vs. flood debate which has developed within many threads.

The more diffuse the lens, the less bright the beam will appear. My understanding is that the LDF is rather diffuse, but I've made some diffusion lenses that make the LDF look like a laser.

Reflectors/optics aren't 100% efficient either. The reflective surface isn't 100% reflective and the output from the light source may be 30 to 60% wasted as "spill". But they do collimate to varying degrees, which is sometimes more useful than 360 degree radiance.

I do believe that orange peel reflectors are superior to existing diffusion lenses. Existing diffusion lenses appear to lose some photons, but that's not to say that a better diffusing lens material can't be found that loses fewer photons. I've been looking.