Updated 04/09/11 - Toshiba 6.5W E-Core GU10 | Philips 4W Master LED GU10

Bass

Enlightened
I'm looking to change 9 x GU10's ceiling mounted (fire rated) downlighters in our home office from Halogen to LED. I'm currently running 35W, with a dimmer switch.

Having done some research these two appear to be the best option:

Toshiba-GU10.jpg

Philips.jpg

I'm favouring the Toshiba for the higher output but wanted to throw it out on this thread to get any opinions and user experience of the two, or alternatives. I'd like to hear from CPF'ers who actually own them and what they are like in replacing Halogen GU10's.

If possible:

• Opinions on colour - very warm white(2700K) or warm white (3000K)? - How close are they to the warmth of Halogen?
  • Colour rendering? Both seem to be in the 80CRI region.
  • Actual output - how close does 6.5W get to 35W Halogen in real output?
  • Beam spread - deg angles? I'd go for the 40 deg but need a a nice spread of light (not 9 spot beams reflecting off the floor!)
  • I'm not overly technical but have read that several LED's may require a compatible dimmer to work properly (no pulsing / flickering). What do I need to check or purchase a compatible dimmer?
  • Any other info you have!
I'm in the UK, so 240V but am keen to hear from anyone / any country but obviously I can't pop down to Home Depot in the US!!

Thanks. All info appreciated.

Last edited:

BM_lol

Newly Enlightened
Re: Advice needed - Toshiba 6.5W E-Core GU10 | Philips 4W Master LED GU10 - Which?

If possible:

• Opinions on colour - very warm white(2700K) or warm white (3000K)? - How close are they to the warmth of Halogen?
    I believe halogens are around 2700K, but you should always judge the color in person. Ask if you can place the LED GU10 alongside the halogen GU10 to see which one you prefer.
  • Colour rendering? Both seem to be in the 80CRI region.
    No difference between Toshiba and Philips there
  • Actual output - how close does 6.5W get to 35W Halogen in real output?
    Toshiba GU10 gives off slightly more light (what they claim) as they consume more power.
  • Beam spread - deg angles? I'd go for the 40 deg but need a a nice spread of light (not 9 spot beams reflecting off the floor!)
    Toshiba offers 25 and 35 deg, where Philips offers 25 and 40 deg.
  • I'm not overly technical but have read that several LED's may require a compatible dimmer to work properly (no pulsing / flickering). What do I need to check or purchase a compatible dimmer?
    You can probably send an email to Philips and Toshiba to ask for a dimmer list that could work for their respective lamps.
  • Any other info you have!
I'm in the UK, so 240V but am keen to hear from anyone / any country but obviously I can't pop down to Home Depot in the US!!
Is dimmable a must for you? I've found a Philips LED GU10 that gives out more light but it's non-dimmable
http://www.led-master.co.uk/philips...-5-5w-50w-2700k-40d-par16-240v-40-000hrs.html

The size is always something you want to consider depending on where you want to place the lamps. Toshiba GU10 (63.5mm) is much longer than halogen GU10s, and the Philips is shorter (46mm) (just an appearance thing).

Thanks. All info appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

kalekainxx

Newly Enlightened
Re: Advice needed - Toshiba 6.5W E-Core GU10 | Philips 4W Master LED GU10 - Which?

There are reports of philip bulbs having overheating issues.

Bass

Enlightened

kalekainxx - thanks, that's good to know. Do you have a link or reference to the overheating issues?

I'm set on the Toshiba's - does anyone have them?

NX3

Newly Enlightened

I've got the Philips, had it a while now with no issues. It has a beam pattern of very bright in the middle compared to a halogen 50w GU10 and the spread isn't as wide. Its on the end of a rail of 4 in the kitchen where it does an ok job but I wouldn't buy anymore. The rest of the rail uses 50w halogens still.

Bass

Enlightened

Thanks NX3. Probably hard to differentiate as you have Halogens on the rail as well but how does the Philips compare colour wise to your Halogens - Is it a pleasing colour or yellow green? Do you have the 25 or 40 degree Philips?

I'm curious as to why you woudn't buy any more?

NX3

Newly Enlightened

I've got the 25 degree version, temp is meant to be 2700k but its whiter than halogens and Philips 12w LED standard bulb replacement. The Philips spots is ok but if I replaced all the GU10 halogens on the rail the kitchen wouldn't be lit as bright as it needs to be. I bought it just to try, I'll replace the rest once 50w halogen replacements are commonly available and not expensive. Colour wise I'd say its near a cool white than yellow white but its not overly blue white.

Bass

Enlightened

Thanks NX3, I somehow missed your reply :thinking:

This has been my experience with LED GU10's so far - great but not 'quite there' yet. Problem is the light from halogens is so nice (and bright) there is still a way to go yet.

I ordered 9 of the Toshibas, so will update when I have installed them.

Bass

Enlightened

9 x Toshiba 6.5W e-core GU10's arrived. I've not installed them as I have since found out the existing dimmer is not compatible. I'm having a conventional switch fitted, so loosing the dimmer capabilities - Just can't justify another £70 on top of the cost of bulbs.

Here is the compatible dimmer switch list for the Toshiba LED range: http://www.toshiba.co.uk/newlighting/Global/Products/pdf/dimmer-compatibilty.pdf?epslanguage=en

Intitial impressions of the build quality are favourable. They appear solid, nicely made and good heat sinking.

Toshiba_Ecore_6-5W_GU10_LED_2700K.jpg

Toshiba_Ecore_6-5W_GU10_LED_2700K_02.jpg

Toshiba_Ecore_6-5W_GU10_LED_2700K_03.jpg

Toshiba_Ecore_6-5W_GU10_LED_2700K_04.jpg

I'll update once installed.

BM_lol

Newly Enlightened

Bass, from the 3rd picture the Toshiba LED GU10 seems significantly longer than the halogen GU10. Was wondering if you can show some pictures of the actual application (when installed). Thanks

Bass

Enlightened

BM lol, yes - the Toshiba LED GU10's are longer. I am using them in ceiling mounted fire rated downlight application.

It was blind faith when ordering, I wasn't sure if they would be too long but they do fit perfectly. I'll update the thread with pictures and specs of the downlight housing as soon as I have time; I've been meaning to do it for several days!