headlamp decision... I'm thinking ZL

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Hello to all, new member here. I'm looking to upgrade my lighting, and thinking about getting a quality headlamp. I've used that flat curvy 3 led units that clip onto the brim of a hat and do like the light being on my head, but these are absolutely wimpy, and have to be wearing a baseball cap. Then on some hiking trips with my friend I was blown away with his headlamp - how bright and useful it was. All my hiking gear is old so I am upgrading it little by little and my only light I bring is an old AA mini mag with a Teralux ministar extreme upgrade from a few years ago.

My most critical application would be hiking, I typically go on a few mountain hiking trips a year (anywhere from 2-5 day trips). But something that could be versatile enough for general purpose stuff too... an EDC, and maybe night jogging.

I need something with multiple brightness settings, good efficiency (good runtimes at least on low/med), and something reliable. I'm really wanting to stick to AA format (have tons of Nimh, Lacross 9009), plus my camera takes AA's I hike with.

A big plus would be if the light could easily start in low mode (I hate waking up in a tent and blinding myself with a flashlight). Or the ability to also start in max would be useful sometimes. The ZebraLight seems to have a nice UI that allows you to start in like any mode. And some of the mods you guys have done make the light seem very versatile!

I think I have decided on the ZL. The brighter Sparks would be ideal if I didnt mind the extra weight/size and battery format, but I think for EDC/light weight hiking the ZL is perfect. Do you guys agree? I guess my biggest decision yet is which one. I think I like the spot+spill of the H51. I think I would like the H501 for purely up close stuff but just doesnt have the range I'd like. I'm interested in the upcoming 502 but dont think I can put it off much longer. Then there is still the reg/W/C but after watching the youtube videos I think I would like the extra brightness of the regular.

saypat

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat. I want the H51 but I also want the H51F because I like floody lights. Someone around these forums sells some diffuser sheets that they say works very well. I may just get the H51 and some diffuser sheet and make the best of flood and throw. By the way, the sheets are very inexpensive.

thaugen

Enlightened
I went with the H51fw for hiking trips and reading at home in bed. I love this headlamp! It has good throw, nice flood, small spot, multiple levels of brightness for every situation, runs wonderfully on eneloops or any AA and all this comes in a very small package. The tint on the regular cool tint H51 is nice as well, but I prefer the neutral for outdoor use. I don't think you can go wrong with the Zebralight.

400funEX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for asking my question for me!

I have been trying to decide on a headlamp as well. I think I've decided to go with the H51Fw because I want a headlamp to free up my hands, so the flood is perfect since I will only need to see what right in front of me. When I need something that can throw I just grab one of my other lights.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Thanks for the thoughts fellas. I might order something soon as I have a hiking trip towards the end of September, plus with daylight starting to diminish I might be doing some night jogging before to long.

saypat - I have seen a few references to diffuser sheets and that sounds like a good temporary flood option since I dont think I want to make it permanently flood. I've been in a few situations at home and on the trail I needed much more throw (what was that noise, a bear?). I wouldn't mind a true flood light, but only once I'd get a small thrower to go with it, and I only have $ for one purchase right now, but maybe at some point later I'll get a flood - I'll be watching for the release of the H502.

thaugen - sounds like you really like yours!

400funEX - Like thaugen above sounds like the H51Fw would be perfect if you don't need as much throw as possible. For stuff more up close and personal it sounds great. Now I am almost thinking of the F version as well, and just accept I won't have throw until I get another handheld.

snakyjake - I'll be watching for that one as well looks very interesting. Sounds like it might be competing pretty well with the H502, but with an extra battery. I really like the 2XAA and for my next handheld that what I am looking at but for a headlight mainly for hiking and running I want minimum weight, and I can always have a couple AA's in my pocket or pack, I just don't want to wear any extra on my head if I don't have too!

Again, thanks all for the comments. I've learned so much from these forums even before this (first post); I've been spending literally hours reading on here the last couple weeks.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for asking my question for me!

I have been trying to decide on a headlamp as well. I think I've decided to go with the H51Fw because I want a headlamp to free up my hands, so the flood is perfect since I will only need to see what right in front of me. When I need something that can throw I just grab one of my other lights.

One option to think about: if you only need to see what's right in front of you, you might also consider the H501w and get a longer run time and lighter weight. Depends on exactly how you define the "right in front of me" part and how intense the light needs to be to do accommodate your needs. I've been using the H501w a lot since I got it a couple of months ago, but I got it for times when I just need to light things up enough to easily get by hands-free, mostly around the house and yard (garage, attic, hauling trash to the curb after dark, checking pool equiment at night, taking the dog out, etc.)

I see another ZebraLight Headlamp in my near future and I wouldn't mind adding something along the lines of the H51, but since I have the H501w for the lower end, I might take a bigger jump to the H600w when it comes out (I have plenty of 18650 batteries, so it wouldn't mean the added investment in batteries and charger for me). If I were looking for something really good in the middle, I think some version of the H51 would be it.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
No version of Zebralight has super throw so I would get the H51f and a small cheaper thrower. It doesn't take much throw to be more than a headlamp.

I have both the H51 and H51f but have put tape over the lens of the H51. It still throws more than the H51f but has a nice beam than without the tape (IMO). Without the tape the beam quality is fine but the has that hard cut-off that feels like you are looking through a tunnel.

H51f and a small 1 AA XR-E is a good combination for hiking (or most anything else).

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
No version of Zebralight has super throw so I would get the H51f and a small cheaper thrower. It doesn't take much throw to be more than a headlamp.

I have both the H51 and H51f but have put tape over the lens of the H51. It still throws more than the H51f but has a nice beam than without the tape (IMO). Without the tape the beam quality is fine but the has that hard cut-off that feels like you are looking through a tunnel.

H51f and a small 1 AA XR-E is a good combination for hiking (or most anything else).

I am debating on that same config, more of a floody headlamp and have more throw in the handheld. I have read mixed reviews on the F version of the H51 though, I wonder if I should wait for the 502 to come out? I can get a handheld soon so I would have a nice modern light and then get the head lamp later after the 502 has some reviews...

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;3731096 said:
I am debating on that same config, more of a floody headlamp and have more throw in the handheld. I have read mixed reviews on the F version of the H51 though, I wonder if I should wait for the 502 to come out? I can get a handheld soon so I would have a nice modern light and then get the head lamp later after the 502 has some reviews...

Your call on that of course but I personally wouldn't want something with less throw than the H51f for hiking/camping. Something that would only throw 15 feet wouldn't be too useful.

If you are using it to work on something at arms reach then pure flood (H502) might be good. To me the H51f is pure flood since it has the frosted lens but it is directed a bit so it has a bit of throw to it but no hotspot as far as I'm concerned. Maybe if you shine it on a wall 3 feet in front of you a slightly brighter center might be noticeable.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Just wanted to say I just placed my order :naughty:... after debating quite a bit I ordered a ZL H51W. It seemed to be about the best all around light for what I wanted in a light. I'll be doing some mods as well, maybe a tailcap magnet and different headband like some have posted in the ZL mod thread. I might experiment with some diffusion ideas as well to make it into a flood. I really debated on the F model but I figured half or more of my usage I wanted decent throw so I didnt want to restrict myself to the F model - hoping I can diffuse it DIY enough for those times I am doing up close stuff.

This is quite a chunk of change for me to spend on a flashlight! I'm not used to lights costing much more than ten bucks! So it might be a while before I get a handheld to go with it / backup. But I'll be watching the T5 and Q50 threads closely.

Now the wait until it comes in the mail... :sigh:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;3739165 said:
This is quite a chunk of change for me to spend on a flashlight! I'm not used to lights costing much more than ten bucks! So it might be a while before I get a handheld to go with it / backup. But I'll be watching the T5 and Q50 threads closely.

I predict that once you get your hands on something of the kind of quality (fit/finish/ability to do the job), you'll be hooked. My bet is that you are really going to really like H51w and be very pleased by the output given the small size and weight.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;3739165 said:
Just wanted to say I just placed my order :naughty:... after debating quite a bit I ordered a ZL H51W. It seemed to be about the best all around light for what I wanted in a light. I'll be doing some mods as well, maybe a tailcap magnet and different headband like some have posted in the ZL mod thread. I might experiment with some diffusion ideas as well to make it into a flood. I really debated on the F model but I figured half or more of my usage I wanted decent throw so I didnt want to restrict myself to the F model - hoping I can diffuse it DIY enough for those times I am doing up close stuff.

Now the wait until it comes in the mail... :sigh:

I have the H51W. I like it a lot. I think you will too. Trust me I am the cheapest guy I know. It wasn't easy for me to spend that kind of money on a light. But things are usually worth what you pay for.

You have taken the first step -- buying a great light. Don't forget the second step when you get the light -- making it even better with a few simple mods. I am very disappointed when some people just use their ZL light as is and then complain about the stretching headband, bulky silicon holder, etc. The mods are very easy to make and will turn this great light into an amazing light.

1. Make a headband/lanyard out of shoelace or cord.
Why? With a lanyard you can discreetly store and use the light around your neck. You can also use it as headlamp. This is how
I use my H51W 80% of the time.

2. Make a headband out of Velcro.
Why? Velcro doesn't stretch like elastic and it has a larger surface area than a cord. The light, thus, won't bounce around too much when you run.

3. Add a magnet to the tailcap.
Why? A magnet will let you attach the light to any metal, thus making the light even more versatile.

I am sitting in a public library right now as I type this post. I have my camera with me, so I took a few pictures of my H51w and headbands to show you. BTW, It's the only light I EDC on my person and use.

H51W with lanyard and Velcro headbands.
IMG_6825.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

Velcro headband is worn on my wrist so I can have it at a moment's notice.
IMG_6830.jpg

The watch goes over it. I am already wearing a watch, so it's the perfect place for the Velcro headband.
IMG_6829.jpg

I keep the clip on the light at all time. If I am dressed up and want to clip the the light in the pocket, I just take out of the lanyard and clip it in the pocket. Most of the time, though, I just wear it tucked behind the shirt.
IMG_6288.jpg

I hope you will find this light as useful and as versatile as I have.

Last edited:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
1. Make a headband/lanyard out of shoelace or cord.
Why? With a lanyard you can discreetly store and use the light around your neck. You can also use it as headlamp. This is how
I use my H51W 80% of the time.

2. Make a headband out of Velcro.
Why? Velcro doesn't stretch like elastic and it has a larger surface area than a cord. The light, thus, won't bounce around too much when you run.

3. Add a magnet to the tailcap.
Why? A magnet will let you attach the light to any metal, thus making the light even more versatile.

Yep those are the exact mods I had in mind. I'll try the stock headband out but I do plan on running with the headlamp so I figure it'll have the bouncy problem and I'll probably have to go the route of the velcro one. Only question I have there is the elastic tube piece, did you sow a flat piece into a tube or can you buy them that way?

Magnet... sounds very usefull to me. Especially while working on the truck or something, just stick it anywhere.

Shoelace/paracord lanyard sounds like an easy way to edc, depending on what clothing I am wearing it would simply be in a pocket or this lanyard.

Thanks!

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIΩDΣ;3740016 said:
Yep those are the exact mods I had in mind.

If you haven't (although I suspect you have) make sure you check out the ZebraLight Mods thread. There are lots of good visuals and variations discussed.

ZebraLight Mods