FLASHLIGHT CHALLENGE includes free Surefire clickie

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Here is my challenge:

There are currently available two 2x123 lights that will out throw all other 2x123 and 3x123 non-turbo lights of any manufacturer currently on the market or mentioned on CPF. These lights are the ASP Taclite and the TACM III.

This is a tall claim, and I invite any CPF colleague, dealer or manufacturer to attempt to disprove it. Anyone who does so to my satisfaction (I'll be reasonable!) will receive as a prize, a free unused Surefire clickie.

Anyone claiming that they have beaten my challenge must support that claim with at least one and preferably two Flashaholics as witnesses, along with a detailed description of the test conditions and methodology. Beam shots are excluded since it is very difficult to take reliable ones and if not done to exact criteria can be misleading. (I won't even speak of deceptive shots!)
smile.gif

A few points about contest criteria:

1) All tests must be conducted from a minimum distance of 125 feet from light to target; maximum distance is unlimited

2) All compared lights must have identical 123's (preferably Surefire), which are tested, voltage matched and have identical dates.

3) The Taclite must be the internal focus model using the teardrop shaped Triad lamp.

4) The Taclite must be adjusted to optimal "semi permanent" focus, a procedure which many owners fail to do properly, as it takes some time and effort.

5) In the unlikely event that a light other than the TACLITE and TACM III wins the contest, and if that light is one that I have previously tested, the winner will receive the SF clickie, but I will request that the light be lent to me to satisfy my curiosity as to how this result was possible. I will of course pay the two-way postage for this.

Brief description of TACM and TACLITE (Weight includes batteries)

TACM III..L: 4 5/8"...Wt:3.8oz...Bezel D:1 6/16"

ASP TACLITE: 5"...........5.4oz.……........1 6/16"

The TACM III has a Delrin body with interior metal sleeve, similar to the Surefire Nitrolon lights. It uses a proprietary integrated lamp/reflector, as does Surefire. Unlike Surefire it has a smooth reflector. There are two backswitch models, the regular version with a single front o-ring and the dive version with two, which is a true dive light.
Construction and fit are more than adequate, and the tail switch, while of a rather primitive design is perfectly functional.

The ASP TACLITE (Internal Focus Model) has an aluminum body and bezel with an excellent recessed tail clickie. It has a separate smooth surface reflector with a unique integrally mounted and focus adjustable lamp holder. The teardrop shaped TRIAD bipin lamp (mandatory for this contest), is firmly secured within the adjustable lamp holder by its pins and a rubber shock absorber that surrounds the lower end of the lamp. This is a very well built and elegant looking light with excellent ergonomics enhanced by an effective non-slip material covering most of the body
Both the Taclite and the TACM III have smooth reflectors which may partly account for their capabilities.

Although my description of the two lights seems to favor the TACLITE, both lights are remarkable performers and preference is a matter of personal choice. In fact, I currently EDC the TACM III because of its smaller size and uncommonly light weight.

Please note:

It is imperative to take all the time necessary to obtain optimal focus with the TACLITE. Once you achieve this it will remain set until you change it. It will not defocus inadvertently. This is the great advantage of the "Set and forget" feature.

Once in a great while, you may get a less than perfect TACM lamp module or TACLITE lamp and/or reflector. Unless you have more than one of each there would be no way to check this. This is one reason that I have included point #5 (above).

Finally, please remember this is a long throw contest. Beam aesthetics and 20' white target prettiness are irrelevant. These are powerful real world lights that can only reveal their true abilities in situations requiring intense light at medium to long distance. For example: This evening I walked past a low rise theater and flashed my TACM III at the top, approximately five floors above. The resulting spot was brilliant. The distance was far too short to test the light's capabilities. That is why I have set 75' as a minimum distance for this test.(EDIT) In fact, I am changing it to 125'.
Good luck to all and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Hmmm,

I see this went over like a lead balloon. I'll leave it up one more day and then Kevorkian it.

Brightnorm

Inverse Square

Newly Enlightened
I can't help with the challenge, but I do thank you for the tip on these lights. Looks like they well worth further investigation!

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I feel confident that you will be keeping the prize. I have 2 Tac's and Surefire makes nothing other than the turbo that can touch them in throw.
John

LightBright

Enlightened
Sounds like basically they have the tightest beam angle. I suppose a more efficient bulb is helpful also, and that usually is followed by a shorter lifespan. Thanks for putting a "spotlight" on these in particular!

JoeyL

Enlightened
Well, I won't enter, but now I'm interested.
Where do you buy a Taclite or TACM?
What would be a good price?
Thanks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by .:
There is an old-timer CPF member that is a dyed-in-the-wool Taclite owner and user. Can't think of his name, though.
wink.gif
grin.gif

I seem to remember that he replaced his original Surefire 6P with a Taclite, bought a Surefire M2 thinking it would replace the ASP light, and ended selling the M2 because it didn't have the features of the the Taclite. ....hhhmmm, whart was his name.
tongue.gif

Happy Holidays.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi KT,

Glad you still visit from time to time. I sure wish you'd post more because you always have much to say that is worth listening to, you say it in your special style and you have a wealth of experience to "draw" from.

CPF is getting so big (too big?) that many unique voices from the "old" days who don't post frquently may be forgotten. This is a real shame because some of these voices can contribute greatly to our group. KT (I assume you don't want your former CPF name used) is without question one of those voices.

KT, I hope your current job is proving rewarding and that things are copasetic (sp?) in general.

Regards,
Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There is an old-timer CPF member that is a dyed-in-the-wool Taclite owner and user. Can't think of his name, though.
wink.gif
grin.gif

I seem to remember that he replaced his original Surefire 6P with a Taclite, bought a Surefire M2 thinking it would replace the ASP light, and ended selling the M2 because it didn't have the features of the the Taclite. ....hhhmmm, whart was his name.
tongue.gif

Happy Holidays.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brightnorm,
Thanks for the accolade. You are as cordial as ever. The new career has given me more time for the grandkids. That is always good.
I miss posting more more frequently. I can't even seem to read as often, either. I'll have to find some time over the holidays.

The Taclite is the only lithium battery powered incandescent flashlight I own. I have tested several other makes and models and none of them has replaced it.

It is not odd that more CPF members don't own it. The projected spot has artifacts and rings. It is more prevalent in the non-flashaholic user population.

No challenge from me. The fact that I can focus the beam into a reeaaallly tight spot (with the unit that I own) makes this the champ.

Merry Christmas.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am now the proud owner of a Taclite. I have wanted one for a long while because of postings by an oldtime member that espoused the virtues of this fine little light.
To sum up, he was right.

JoeyL. Go take a look at Botach's site for prices and models of the Taclite. I have only found the TACM at the manufacturer site www.tacm3.com
Note: They have poor photo's.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been told, but cannot verify, that the backswitch model (53000) is external focus and the side switch model (53001) is internal focus.

brightnorm, I did not set up up to the plate on your challange as I have both lights and I know they out throw the other 2X123 lights.

BTW, have you tested them both on a side by side with each other? I might do that at later time.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Dana,

Either switch can be attached to either model. On a recent trip (and during every trip I make via aircraft), I attached the sidesaddle switch to my Taclite, attached the spare bulb compartment endcap, and placed the light next to the borrowed Tigerlight. They looked like little and big brother standing side-by-side bezel down on the seat back tray table.

A flight attendant walked by and gave one of those "what a crazy old loon" kinda look.
icon15.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I have both the back switch and the side switch for the baton. Both are new and both are internal focus. In real world use, I never notice the non-perfect beam...but I do notice, over and over again, that it out throws every (2 or 3 cell) Surefire, Legend, Scorpion, etc. that I own! This does not include turbos.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by sunspot:
I have been told, but cannot verify, that the backswitch model (53000) is external focus and the side switch model (53001) is internal focus.

brightnorm, I did not set up up to the plate on your challange as I have both lights and I know they out throw the other 2X123 lights.

BTW, have you tested them both on a side by side with each other? I might do that at later time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dana,

Dana,

My backswitch models are both internal focus. I hope ASP hasn't changed that.

I tested them side by side a while ago, but not formally or at great length. I really should do that again. I know the ASP is a finer light (and cheaper!) but I really love the TACM's incredibly light weight and short length. (That is, without the relatively new (I Think) clickie which adds length. I still prefer the original switch, extremely crude though it may be.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

That is the internal focus model as evident by the knurled, brass Lamp Adjuster Assembly. Another clue is that the body or battery compartment extends all the way to where it meets the Interchangeable Lens Ring. This configuration will not allow for external focus.
It truly is "focus and forget" as Brightnorm has said. It is then, essentially, fixed when focused.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post because aren't these guys, (or one of them), from the old "Tekna" Co. I still have an old 4AA cell Tekna that was one of Tekna's dive lights, (it's short and stubby), and it's still one of the thickest plastic, (I believe it's ABS), bodied flashlights I've ever seen. It also came with one of the first, gas-filled halogen bulbs I can remember and has a wonderful, tight, long throw.