Me and my flashlights. Introdusing myself.

nirrebosse

Newly Enlightened
Im new to this forum, but have had good help last weeks before being a member when trying to get myself a good light.

Im living i the middle of Sweden and we have one half of the year with a lot of light as the sun stays up almost the whole night and we have one half of the year when its many dark hours.
Its been a long time since I bought flashlights.
Up until this year I had a Maglight solitare, a mini maglite, a princeton tec impact 4XAA and a Silva L2 headlamp. I also use a bicyclelamp recargeble with crypton lamp. I have a futon on my keys.
Up until recently I thought this was mighty fine flashlights.
But then the other week I walked into a hardware store with flashlights from Led lenser. They impressed me much with their throw of light. It ended up I brought meself a P3. My choice was between that and the P5 but the P 5 seamed to loose baterys so quick. The P3 was a good size and weight to EDC and was very bright with my standards but It also started a quriosity about how good a modern small flashlight could be. I read a lot here and looked at your recentions and knowledge and it ended up I got myself yet another flashlight. This time I bought it over the internet to get what I realy wanted.
Im now the happy and proud owner of a Fenix LD10. Small, strong, wetherprotected, battery regulation, You name it, Im so fond of this thing. And only one AA. I also got a set to make it a headlamp and a gizmo that makes it a bicycle lamp. I also dicowered that I mostly want to drive it in the turbo mood at 132 lumens. I can run with it as a headlamp or see good when ricing my bicykle or realy look at things in the dark for ex like now during the dark nights after mooshunting. But the baterys dont last so long in this mood so i also got myself a GP powerbank with GP recharables at 2700.

I dont understand if the Turbomood is bad to run constant as for the lifelenght of the Cree XP-G premium R5 diod or if the moods is just about battery time?

The headband had 2 moduls to fasten a flashlight so one of them is on my Silva L2 to give it extra light. this two lights togeter will give me a extreemly good light for a light weight to cross country ski in the dark this winter and it will be sheap cince I can reload my GP 2700s. I just hope the batterys can cope with minus 15 degrees celsius.

My "problem" is that I now also want to bye a bigger flashlight driven on 2, 4 or even 8 AA to get even more lumens to get light further away and more important broader in the short and midrange. Probobly I want a bigger reflector but I wiil read more in this exelent bank of knowledge about how to think about lumens ws candelas.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to forum. Hang on to your wallet as this ride can get expensive.
Check out the 4 Sevens lights like the Quark 2 AA.

Lot's of knowlage and friendly people here to point you in the right direction.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome nirrebosse!

With the "turbo" mode of your light, I can't say for certain as I don't have the Fenix LD10, but as a general rule, turbo mode is only dangerous for the LED if the light gets really hot, as it's the heat that will damage the LED. At 132 lumens, I don't think you're in danger of overheating the LED. Also, with a good brand name like Fenix, most of their lights are designed to not let the LED overheat. So, I can't say for sure, but you're probably fine spending a long time on the turbo mode of your LD10.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on a Quark AA2. The Quark with the R5 LED in it has great balance between throw & flood, and it puts out 205 lumens on 2 AA batteries. Or you could get the new Quark X AA2 with the new XM-L LED in it. It's brighter (280 lumens) and is more of a flood light.

For a really bright AA based light check out the Fenix TK41 (8 AA batteries) and is 800 lumens. Nice light, but it's big.

Last edited:

nirrebosse

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your kind answers.
I have seen that this forums seams to be a friendly and knowledgable place.
This is why I registered, just reading could have been done without it but a kind place should be payed attention.
I hope this flashlight interest stays at a good level for me but I already feel the urge to try to by a little bigger flashlight and also a new and brighter headlamp then my silva L2 that just have a 1 w kind of led light. I will look into the suggestions.

Trying to talk in the metafore of water I think my fenix is a small amount of water under high presure and if I by a new bigger flashlight I want a broader pipe that delivers more liters of water, not nessisarily with higher presure. Hope this metafore is possible to understand when writing about it in a forign language.

Thank you for the information that my Fenix probobly will run without harm on my turbomode at 132 lumens. Seams like I guessed since other flashlights seam to take more than 200 lumens out of the samt Cree-diod. 132 would mabye be considered medium temperature?

Bosse