flashlight help please *newbie*

pops

Newly Enlightened
hi all newbie here so please take it easy..

my friend has recently bought an o light flashlight 2200 lumens which has got me interested so been looking for budget flashlight but i honestly dont know a thing about them, so what im looking for is something that has a tight beam but bright and has a beam throw of around 100-150meters for around $40-$50 been looking on ebay but dont have a clue so thinking best to ask the experts and hopefully someone can help me in my search,

pops

Gary123

Enlightened
I am not aware of anything in your price range. And most companies grossly misrepresent the throw of their lights. Some will rate a light at 200 meters based on the barest amount of light touching the target, even if it is a practically useless amount of light. Look at the reviews of thrower lights, if that is really what you want. There are numerous threads.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 problems:
1st: 100-150 meters ... hmm :thinking: possible, but useless
2nd: the brighter the light, the more power it needs, the bigger/heavier it is, the less runtime it has

and 3rd problem: what battery setup to choose?

my advise goes for a small, portable light which is used often and for someone who does not yet have a rechargeable setup with Ni-Mh charger (expensive!) and cells ... and has no need for certain cells (means: no GPS an thus multiple AA Ni-Mh)

DX links removed

note: these are all low quality parts, but for all the ones I have recommended so far the last year, they all work quite good.
In case You like the general setup You can still get better parts but the setup (--> 1*18650) is not to beat in the moment.

PS: that almost is what I use for mtb-nightrides and I am not going to switch to more powerful led.
Brightness + size + runtime of this is simply perfect for my taste

Last edited by a moderator:

pops

Newly Enlightened
hi all newbie here so please take it easy..

my friend has recently bought an o light flashlight 2200 lumens which has got me interested so been looking for budget flashlight but i honestly dont know a thing about them, so what im looking for is something that has a tight beam but bright and has a beam throw of around 100-150meters for around $40-$50 been looking on ebay but dont have a clue so thinking best to ask the experts and hopefully someone can help me in my search,

pops

looks like 100-150 is too far so say 50-100meters must be something someone can reccomend

weez82

Enlightened
What do you need this light for? Most newbies (myself included) think that throw = more light = cool. But after getting different lights and using them I have learned that flood = useful = cool. I still have a thrower but it will not ever see much use. Anyways, answer that first question first and then look on youtube (goingprepared has many flashlight over views and outdoor beam shots) and look at the review section on this site. Lots to chose from and in all honestly most people dont need throw. Just something to think about ;)

pops

Newly Enlightened
my mate does a bit hunting with his lamp so really just wanting a budget version of his to se ehow it compares, to be honest it will be for walking the dog through the woods etc at night but would like to be able to see a fair distance aswell