Got my first ZL!

Websniper

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to post that I got my first ever ZL after much deliberation and wish to share my thought so far.The model I selected was the H51Fc. The reason for my selection being that I was looking for a head lamp to assist me while field dressing game. My research on the forum pointed me towards a higher CRI light that would seemingly render reds and browns better than most other LED lights, and in that regard, I would say this light will perform admirably. I find the tint fairly pleasant, and it does make reds and browns quite distinguishable. Though I will say, in the closet test, I lose blues quite a bit compared to cool LED's, but I suppose this is to be expected. Lighter to medium color blues tend to wash out as grey. However, it doesn't concern me terribly, as I plan to use this light outdoors in most cases.The UI on this light is pretty sweet, and I like being able to select which mode I want out of the sub-levels. This is my first electronic clicky, and I must say I do find myself missing the solid snap of a mechanical clicky. That being said, I think having the switch for a headlamp on the end of the light is going to take some getting used to for me, and I kind of find myself wishing I had gotten a Spark at times due to the more common placement of the switch. Either way, I like the light and think it will serve it's purpose. The worst part is, I find myself wanting to get a Neutral (W) model ZL to compare the tint to! I really do want another one for every day use, so I might snag an H501w or wait for the 502 neutrals to come out.... In closing, I would like to thank the forum and it's members for being such a wealth of information. I did a LOT of reading before deciding on this light....PSI forgot the mention I purchased directly from ZL and the turn around time on my order was excellent! I would definitely continue to purchase from them.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight is known for selecting good cool white tint. But yeah, neutral white is really nice. I hope you will find your ZL light as useful as I have. Please check out the "Zebralight Mods" thread to see ways to make it even better.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I used a neutral tint HL and field dressed an Antelope this August. Worked great for me. Not to sure what the difference a cool beam would have made?

Websniper

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've been cruising the ZL mod thread.... Lotsa cool stuff there.

As a matter of fact, I just picked up some elastic today to experiment with using the spare GITD silicon holder.

I think I'm going make a hand strap using the spare holder to use while walking with the wife. Normally, I carry my SF E2D, but I my tryout the ZL The next time or two. If I end up liking this one, I may get another; one for the hunting pack and one for daily use.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any AA or CR123 ZL light makes a terrific EDC light for daily use, if they are small enough to carry in your pocket, both light and headband. And they are after the lanyard headband mod. The only useful headlamp is the one you have with you when you need it.

Enjoy your new ZL light and be sure to share your ideas and experiences.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Reading all these great posts got me excited. I ordered my first Zebra Light last week and it will be here tomorrow. Looking at all the mods in another thread really got me to thinking of ways to make this light more handy.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading all these great posts got me excited. I ordered my first Zebra Light last week and it will be here tomorrow. Looking at all the mods in another thread really got me to thinking of ways to make this light more handy.

Which model did you buy? Looking forward to hearing your experience with it.