Looking for a great thrower.

mitchzas

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light with a lot of throw. CPF helped me find my last light which was a jetbeam RRT-2. Amazing light but I'd like to upgrade, a friend bought one so i need to out due him again . Used mostly for hunting and on the farm.

Preferences- (not necessary)
1. Would like to stay under $200 but recommendations above are fine.
2. 18650 batteries with good runtime
3. Size doesn't matter much
4. Would like to have low med high settings
5. Neutral or warm tint.

After doing some searching here are some Lights of interest-
1. tiablo A9, A10
2. Olight M20
3. solarforce masterpiece pro-1
4. Deerelight DBS, Where can i buy this light?
5.catapult XM-l, V2, V3 which model?
6. thrunite TN11
7. Crelant 7G5
8. sunwayman TC40s
9. Jet beam 3M, very Pricey$

what else do you recommend?

Is there anything above that sticks out as a good choice? I noticed while searching some of the reviews and posts about which lights are better are over a year old, are all these lights still available. Is there a certain model of them i should look for?

samuraishot

Enlightened
I haven't tried out the lights you mentioned, but the DEFT-EDC is definitely something you might want to look into.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll volunteer this much: I own the Masterpiece Pro 1. It's an incredible thrower. By the numbers you are going to read that it out throwns almost everything on your list. I would not necessarily recommend it however if this will be your first/only thrower. The beam is pencil thin, and has absolutely no spill. This doesn't seem like it would be a problem if you're looking for a thrower, but trust me it becomes almost completely unusable at close range or if you are really trying to identify something at range that requires you to scan with the light.

Of those you have mentioned, I would check out the Catapult V3. It's one I've wanted to get my hands on for some time.

Cheers !

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight DBS will match to each of your preferences. You can choose neutral or warm XML or neutral XP-E. I would opt DBS with Nailbender drop-in. XR-E if you want max throw or XML if you want max output. Nailbender offers warm and neutral tints for both leds.

If you are looking for throw the lights on your list are in 3 groups.

1. Dedicated throwers (XR-E) ~50K lux Tiablos and Solarforce MPP-1
2. XML thorwer ~30K-40K lux Catapult, Thrunite TN11, Sunwayman, Crelant and Dereelight
3. Tactical lights under ~10-20K lux Jetbeam and Olight

It depends what you want, narrow pencil sharp beam reaching forever (XR-E, possibly with aspheric lens) or wide long reaching beam (XM-L). One thing to note about XR-E lights is great runtimes. XM-L needs a lot more juice than XR-E to get long reaching beam. Note that Solarforce is 1-level where Diablos have levels. Check out Tiablo A10 GR2/5, great throw and variable brightness option.

Warp

Enlightened
I went researching/shopping for a thrower a week or two ago. I already had an older (early 2009) Olight M20 R2 that throws pretty well but is lacking in total output compared to what is now available. I also already had an EagleTac T20C2 MkII XM-L T6. It has a very impressive total output but is basically a floodlight (which is fine, just different). I just ordered a Thrunite TN11 a few days ago. It arrived yesterday. Playing with all three in the backyard last night I concluded that the TN11 was roughly equivalent to throwing the output of the T20C2 the distance of the M20. This was on a single 18650 for the ET and TN11 and CR123 in the Olight (I only have 2 18650s right now). I am very happy with the TN11's performance so far. While it throws very well it isn't an extremely narrow all throw beam, the hotspot is still wide enough to be quite useful and there is, to my eyes, a surprising amount of spill for a 'thrower'. It is, after all, an XM-L

I ordered from lightjunction. It was $93 shipped after CPF discount and arrived in two days.

I was also strongly considering the Thrunite Scorpion and the ArmyTek Predator. I decided against the predator because it is an older emitter with less total output and you know how us CPFers can be about output and the latest tech emitters. I decided against the Scorpion because it was more expensive and the user interface (UI), for my use, was overly complex and potentially, from what I read, less reliable. Also, the TN11 comes with an extension for the body that allows 3xCR123. I will pick up a 4th extension as well as that allows 4xCR123 or 2x18650

And because I like pics, here are some

c802099f.jpg

d9e1fd40.jpg

cefe0307.jpg

Last edited:

mitchzas

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight DBS will match to each of your preferences. You can choose neutral or warm XML or neutral XP-E. I would opt DBS with Nailbender drop-in. XR-E if you want max throw or XML if you want max output. Nailbender offers warm and neutral tints for both leds.

If you are looking for throw the lights on your list are in 3 groups.

1. Dedicated throwers (XR-E) ~50K lux Tiablos and Solarforce MPP-1
2. XML thorwer ~30K-40K lux Catapult, Thrunite TN11, Sunwayman, Crelant and Dereelight
3. Tactical lights under ~10-20K lux Jetbeam and Olight

It depends what you want, narrow pencil sharp beam reaching forever (XR-E, possibly with aspheric lens) or wide long reaching beam (XM-L). One thing to note about XR-E lights is great runtimes. XM-L needs a lot more juice than XR-E to get long reaching beam. Note that Solarforce is 1-level where Diablos have levels. Check out Tiablo A10 GR2/5, great throw and variable brightness option.

Thanks this helped to explain the difference between the LEDs.

mitchzas

Newly Enlightened
Any ideas how the Jetbeam RRT-2 would compare to the Catapult V3? seemed like the jetbeam had good throw, will the catapult blow it out of the water or is it only a little better? can't find a side by side review of the two.

Chidwack

Enlightened
You might want to add another one to your list. Olight M3X. It just might out throw most if not all on your list including the Catapult.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catapult outshines and outthrows RRT-2 easily. Olight M3X is superb thrower but Crelant 7G5 is at least as good (both around or over 50klux/1m) and costs less.

mitchzas

Newly Enlightened
Seems like there are not a lot of posts for the crelant 7g5. any reasons for this?

mitchzas

Newly Enlightened
what about fenix lights? they seem to have alot of output and decent throw.

Chidwack

Enlightened
The Fenix TK41 and the TK60 have just about as much throw as the Olight M3X. The TK70 will out throw most everything with the exception of maybe the the Olight SR90 and it's brothers but at a lesser price tag.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a CREE XM-L Thrower Showdown Video Review that may help you. After watching this video, I purchased my Olight M3X. However, although my M3X has a green tint to it's beam I use it as my open area thrower, so the green tint (like most I had) isn't noticeable. I run the M3X in it's short configuration using x2 18500 batteries or with it's extension installed x2 18650's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9XosPlnhAc

The three lights that I have on me while working are (on my belt) a TN11 (short configuration with x1 18650), HDS 170 Tactical (my EDC little thrower), and (in my pocket) Sunwayman's V10R (using it's AA extension).

There is another I'd recommend (if your budjet is in the $150'ish area, because you have to buy seperate batteries and charger for it) that throws out a wall of light and at distance for it's size and one that I truely miss (since I recently sold it, not because it didn't perform as expected, but a personal thing with/about the company behind it), but may not be what your looking for, not sure.

One of my next for fun lights (or a light to complitment what I have) that I'd like to purchase is the OMG DEFT. This one for it's dedicated throw abilities when I'm back on a large construction project.

Here are a few links to TurboBB and Selfbuilt's reviews that may also assist you in finding what you're looking for;

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...N10-amp-TN11-Review-(pics-runtimes-beamshots)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323966

http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/

Last edited:

mitchzas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help! I went ahead with the olight M3x. a light that wasn't on my original list, glad i asked.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thrunite Catapult: 47800 lux/1m (mobbed V2 I think)
Crelant 7G5: 59100 lux/1m
Modded:whistle: And that's why it's even more powerful than stock V2. Why? Because Thrunite not only swapped an emitter but also reduced current from about 3,5A to 3,0A. 'coolperl's' Catapult has XM-L driven at 3,5A and still 7G5 outthrows it easily.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll volunteer this much: I own the Masterpiece Pro 1. It's an incredible thrower. By the numbers you are going to read that it out throwns almost everything on your list. I would not necessarily recommend it however if this will be your first/only thrower. The beam is pencil thin, and has absolutely no spill.
I don't agree on the no spill bit. It got the same spill as any other xr-e light, but the spill is more narrow than a "normal light" because of the ultra deep reflector.

Agree on the "too bright to use close up part". Its a singlemode and the hotspot is really blinding at close range. I have made a diffuser out of a pringles lid. I cut it so it fits perfectly inside the besel and locks in there on the little gap between the besel and the head. I have to bend it out of there, but its flexible so no problems to put on/off the diffusor in seconds.

AFKAN

Newly Enlightened
Don't discount the Scorpion V2 :D I've just got one and my God it blows my RRT2 out of the water :O

I also went for the the extra throw head and so far I'm really impressed :D It's nearly as good as my RRT3 (but not quite ;) )