Battery Space 3300 mAh LiFePO4 Cell tests

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I purchased eight of these cells to power a pair of bike lights and thought I would share the results of my testing. I ran capacity tests on all eight cells at both 0.2C (660 mA) and 0.5C (1650 mA). I also tabulated the results of charging the same cell at both 660 mA/3.65V and 3300 mA/3.65V, plus discharging it at 0.2C, 0.5C, 1.0C, and 2.0C.

First, the capacity test results of all eight cells at 0.2C discharge in mAh:

1-3290
2-3273
3-3195
4-3244
5-3257
6-3279
7-3179
8-3210

Capacity test results at 0.5C discharge in mAh:

1-3220
2-3204
3-3130
4-3181
5-3208
6-3190
7-3132
8-3133

The cells are speced at 3200 mAh minimum at 0.2C discharge to 2.00V at 23°C. They all either exceed this or come very close. Note that the test area was around 19°C. This would account for some cells falling a little short. Also, there is a margin of error in my results because I only measured current to 0.1% accuracy. One interesting thing to note is the 0.5C results fall about 2% short of the 0.2C results, but if I let the cells recover to 3.00V, then discharge again to 2.00V, the capacity results are very close to the 0.2C numbers.

Here is a chart of my testing of cell number 2 at various charge/discharge currents:

BatterySpace3300mALiFePO4.jpg

The maximum continuous discharge current is 2.0C, or 6.6 amps. The cell voltage sags by roughly 0.25V compared to 0.2C discharge, but the cell still performs rather well, delivering 3146 mAh ( compared to 3276 mAh when discharged at 0.2C ). In my planned service the cells won't see anything above about 0.5C, and then likely only for short bursts. Most of the time they will be operating at 0.2C or less.

It's interesting also to compare the amount of charge and energy in and out of the cell. At 0.2C discharge the cell put out 10,416 mWh. This dropped to 9,106 mWh when discharged at 2.0C, the difference going into heating the cell (it reached about 45°C). Here is a chart of the both the current and energy efficiencies at different charge/discharge rates:

ChargingEfficiency.gif

Note first of all that the current efficiencies are pretty close to unity. This makes sense. Generally mAh out equals mAh in. The energy efficiencies ( energy out divided by energy in ) get worse if either charge current or discharge current is increased. This makes sense because the cells have a non-zero value of internal resistance. Still, the results are interesting. Even worst case ( 3300 mA charge, 6600 mA discharge ) you still recover over 78% of the energy you put into the cell. At 0.2C charge/discharge you recover over 93%. I assume these numbers would approach unity as the charge/discharge currents approached zero.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with these cells given their low cost. They meet their specs and hold up OK under high discharge currents (although not as well as the A123 Systems cells).

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Hi jtr1962

Be careful with the 1C charge rate. These are designed for high energy density, and although they are rated for a max charge rate of 3.3 A, this is quite fast for this particular cell design. If you consistently charge at that rate, you will likely see faster capacity fade than you expect. I would stick with a C/2 charge rate or lower if you want to get maximum cycle life out of these.

Cheers,
BG

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had originally discounted these and was going to buy the equivalent capacity K2 cells.

Which would you guys choose, based on these test results?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had originally discounted these and was going to buy the equivalent capacity K2 cells.

Which would you guys choose, based on these test results?

I've been experimenting with some of the K2 cells, but I don't have self-made discharge curves like the ones above (although there are curves published in the data sheets). From my limited testing so far the K2 cells are working well.

My gut feel is the K2 cells would have the edge on quality and performance, just from I've seen of the source and documentation.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I share that feeling. For a few extra bucks, I'll probably spring for a pair of A123 cells for the high draw light, and a pair of K2 for the lower draw light. I was always taught that all else being equal, the cell with the lower internal resistance is the higher quality cell. The blue Batteryspace is spec'ed at 30mΩ, while the K2 is half that at 15mΩ. For the really high draw lights, the A123 at 8–10mΩ is the top of the heap. :)

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the K2 is half that at 15mΩ. For the really high draw lights, the A123 at 8–10mΩ is the top of the heap.
Also note the K2 26650 cells come in two versions: the LFP26650EV "energy" version, and the LFP26650P "power" version. The 26650P has a quoted impedance of < 9 mΩ, so it may be similar to the A123.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Hi jtr1962Be careful with the 1C charge rate. These are designed for high energy density, and although they are rated for a max charge rate of 3.3 A, this is quite fast for this particular cell design. If you consistently charge at that rate, you will likely see faster capacity fade than you expect. I would stick with a C/2 charge rate or lower if you want to get maximum cycle life out of these.Cheers,BG
Both myself and the person I'm making the second light for have no need for fast charge. Overnight recharge will work just fine here. My plan is to recharge them at 0.2 C or less in the interests of maximum cycle life. The difference in recharge times between 0.2C and 1C isn't as dramatic as the numbers suggest. 1C gives a full recharge in about 2.5 hours. 0.2C takes about 6.5 hours. 1C does get you to 80% SOC about 5 times faster, but like I said, for my purposes overnight recharge works just fine here. I realize these are high capacity, not high rate, cells, and plan to treat them accordingly.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I had originally discounted these and was going to buy the equivalent capacity K2 cells.Which would you guys choose, based on these test results?
I think it depends upon how close you plan to run the cells to rated maximums. Even though the spec sheet for the Battery Space cells gives a maximum charge rate of 1C, and a continuous discharge rate of 2C, I would be hesitant to run at those maximums repeatedly. The K2 cells seem to have better specs. I might feel more comfortable with those if I needed 1C recharging and 2C discharging, but I don't. Here 0.2C recharge and 0.5C or lower discharge will work just fine. If you need to run closer to maximums I'd probably go with the K2s. If your requirements are similar to mine the Battery Space cells will probably work just fine.