MAGLED concerns

sniper

Enlightened
Before....Oh, many years ago, as man reckons time, people were bemoaning the fact that MagLites were not "modern" and were "old technology".

During my catch-up reading after being absent for a few years, i find they have caught up on the technology, or are running hard to keep up, but are still being carped at. (I guess some things never change, right?)

One thing I read was that the LED drop-ins Mag used to sell weren't properly heat sinked, (sank, sunk?) and after a while, they would dim. The LED upgrade modules don't seem to be present in the market any more, but, iirc, the same claim was made of the early Mag LED lights.

Frankly, I'd like a LED Maglite or three...the new ones look really interesting...but what is the story nowadays?

Have they overcome the original problems, or if/when I buy a new Mag, can I look forward to a drop in brightness that my two older 3D Mags, one with Terralux drop in, and the other a Luxeon III hotwire don't have?

Thanks.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a very recently made Mini-MagLED 2xAA light, and I like it fine.
The regulation ain't the greatest, but it throws really well and has decent hi and low setting, and a couple flashing modes that I could live without.
I got it for $10.97 at Lowe's on Black Friday. Can't beat it for that money.
I think it you aren't a super fussy flashaholic, and you're looking for a pretty impressive light for cheap money, the new Mini-MagLED ain't bad.

wrf

Newly Enlightened
[...]can I look forward to a drop in brightness[...]

For the 3D models, unfortunately yes, but it's not so bad. Just no good way to heat sink the spring loaded plunger that is at the core of their focusing design. There is also a very good thread in the reviews section.

I picked up two packaged sets, one at the well known warehouse club and the other at the nationwide home supply chain. The first was a black 3D with an off center XPE and a red mini-mag with a rebel (and batteries). The second was a blue 3D with a well centered XPE and a blue mini-mag with an XPE (and 2 spare mini-mag lenses). I'm happier with the blue ones. Mag beams never were pretty, but the off centered LED is very noticable when twisting the head to focus.

I didn't do much with the mini-mags. Twisting the head for different modes and strobe is just not my thing. It did, however, entertain my girlfriend for like 15 seconds (so it was worth it).

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
new ml 100-125 are made as led lights from the start, not incandescent light retrofitted with led and deeper reflector, i would think their heatsinking abuility is better than classic d shape maglite.