NEW XML Thrower

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
I have come a long way since my first couple of posts. I was tired of buying all of my flashlights and wanted to start making some. I didnt realize it gets pretty expensive as well. Well I have been getting more and more professional in my mods. I have made about 10 LED mag mods and 1 incan mod. Of the different emitters that I have messed with, I would have to say I like the XML. Its a lot of light and its a pretty small emitter. I have hooked them up to 2 different drivers and have run several direct drive combinations.

This is what I came up with.

LightRodXML200-1.jpg

LightRodXML200closeup-1.jpg

LightRodXML200wallshot-1.jpg

It big, its fun, and its direct drive. (More than 4A less than 5A)

Out-throws my R2 behind a 66mm lens. At 150 yds it makes a superbright square. I will try to get some beamshots taken soon enough.
Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hope you have very good heatsinking at that current

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
Ok here are some beamshots. They didnt turn out very good but I am not the best with cameras and I am only using a sony 7.1MP camera that I use for work. The settings are a bit off and the colors seems to be more blue that it really is. Anyways take a look.

XMLTreeshot-2.jpg

XMLTreeshot-1.jpg

XMLBeamshot.jpg

XMLandR2.jpg

The last picture is and R2 version of the same light I have no quite completed.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
i hope you have very good heatsinking at that current

It seems to be well heatsinked. I have built a lot of computers and I couldnt imagine this led having any problems. I have run it for 10 minutes intervals and it seems to do just fine. The heat moves down the flashlight body very well. (Thermal paste in the neck seemed to help a lot)

Last edited:

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
Its actually some liquid rubberrizing stuff i brushed on. I think next time i might try bedliner roll on or a spray. This stuff came out good but I feel like if I dropped it that it may bounce up and hit me...... Pretty durable and waterproof though.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
what kind of batteries did you go with (and how many)? Also, I what's the head made of - under the rubberized material I mean. Would hate to be in front of that thing when it's on - wow.

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
I hope its not too late to add a couple of photos to this thread but I found out how to use my camera and made some good wallshots......
R2---- (approx 300k lux with my cheap 40$ meter so dont bust my chops :)) as reference point HS-802 was reading out to 31k.
R2Wallshot2-1.jpg

XML-----(approx 250k lux)
XMLWallshot2-1.jpg

Also, how do you go about selling a light you have made? Just post it in the forums under buy,sell,trade? I am starting to get too many lights around and I have already mimmicked this light. I just like modding and want to hopefully break even on this hobby....

-Kevin

Last edited:

budynabuick

Enlightened
Its I feel like if I dropped it that it may bounce up and hit me...... Pretty durable and waterproof though.

-Kevin

Man I could see it bouncing up and hitting you in the head:sick2: when I read that LOL. The pics came through real good on my end. That is a wild light and it looks as though it may cut a hole in that wall.

Keith

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LightRodXML200-1.jpg

The idea of a toilet plunger with a light to see if its working was brilliant!

Making it so the light could evaporate the water and then light up the entire sewer system was even MORE brilliant.

Now, there are blinded rats in the sewer system as a result of this, and the ASPCA will come down on you for your abuse.

I hope you're happy with yourself....RAT HATER!

:D :D :D

Its a Rat Thrower.

Last edited:

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
The idea of a toilet plunger with a light to see if its working was brilliant!

Making it so the light could evaporate the water and then light up the entire sewer system was even MORE brilliant.

Now, there are blinded rats in the sewer system as a result of this, and the ASPCA will come down on you for your abuse.

I hope you're happy with yourself....RAT HATER!

:D :D :D

Its a Rat Thrower.

Ha! Its the 3-D body...... my 2 D version looks much better and less of the plunger look.... or a short plunger at that. It does however have less runtime. :(

dspencer

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way we could get a peek from the top? Whatever lense and reflector you are using seems to focus the beam pretty tight.

kjelrod

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way we could get a peek from the top? Whatever lense and reflector you are using seems to focus the beam pretty tight.

Sure here is a quick iphone picture I took. Excuse the dog toy :huh:

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Sure here is a quick iphone picture I took.

XML250kdown.jpg

-Kevin

OMG, Its enormous, and he seems to have knocked out an escaping convict with it!

:eek:

The poor thug's brains may have been fried by the concentrated beam, or perhaps he was bludgeoned....

Last edited: