Can you run the L1 head on 2x123 like a KL1?

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
Paging McGizmo!

Paging Mcgizmo!

(This could be the CPF equivalent of "Calling Dr. Bombay"
on the old Bewitched show - we need help)

(I think that he did some "bolt on" type mods
with the L1 bezel awhile back)

Anyone know for sure?

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
It says that the L1 is regulated and dual intensity. I have heard that the tailcap housed the intensity switch but do not know if the boost is in the head or the tail switch. But I would guess that all the heads have the same build and construction so as to standardize for ease of production. As such the L1 head should be safe to run on 2xcr123. Just dont hold me to it!!! But if you do hold me to it you are welcome to come to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Was it any brighter? Sure would be nice to be able to put the L1's tailcap on the L4, eh?

HunterSon

Enlightened
The head is a "dumb head" meaning it has an unregulated LS in it. 2X123s will most likely make it very bright, if only for a very short time, then it will be a very light (pardon the pun) paper weight. 6 volts will seriously shorten the life of the led.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ooooh, you're lucky it didn't smoke. The L1 head has no electronics. If you stick that on a 2x123 body, you're in serious direct drive mode, my friend. The regulator in the L1 is in the body of the light. Guess if you smoked it, you can upgrade to a high dome L1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr Bulk,

The L1's tailcap has a resistor that probably wouldn't survive extended periods of running in the L4. It will run but you're most likely exceeding the power rating of the resistor. I know, I know. I too am in search of that dimmable L4. Haven't found it yet. Actually, I haven't had the time to pursue it. It can be done.

CM

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, what tyler said. V8, I've abused Luxeons much worse than with 2x123s to see their limits. How bout 12V from a car battery? That would actually be about 14V /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It ran a surprisingly long 20 seconds. So 2x123 *shouldn't* blow it.

CM

Blikbok

Enlightened
Related question: will an L1 head run on an A2 body?
(Please SF, release a retrofit 5W for my A2!)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Blikbok said:
Related question: will an L1 head run on an A2 body?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, the threads on the L1 head are different from the threads on the A2 body. I think the L1 head has slightly too small an inside diameter to fit on the A2 body.
I just tried mine, in order to find this out.