Suggestions for 'something nicer than a box cutter' for less than $30.00

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
Just a nice EDC folder, small, light weight, inexpensive (so I'm not scared to use it) and has a pocket clip. This search started when I came across the CRKT M16 with the little flipper on the blade, I love the Tanto style but this knife is far too big for my pocket at work.

I don't want a traditional box cutter because its not always cardboard boxes I'm opening.

I'm in Australia BTW.

Thanks for stopping by.

SQ

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
SOG Flash I

I
carry one everyday and even slip it into my suit pocket at weddings.
Tiny, light, great clip.
Can be had for $30 if your shop around.

98GPF

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if woot.com will ship to you in Australia, but I got a nice Kershaw Compound for $17 shipped, or Amazon has a Spyderco Tenacious for just over $30, shipped free if you have Amazon Prime.

awdiwdwf

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the Spyderco Ambitious. Big enough to do most jobs, small enough to easily fit in a pocket, and only $26 shipped from amazon.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
want cheap, look at sanrenmu, enlan, bee.. and other chinese knives. (exduct.com for instance.. they can compete many more expensive knives with their quality)

nothing wrong with sog flash1. (it is soooo tiny one forgets its there and still can do many tasks.. assisted opener too) cant go wrong with anything spyderco either.

AmperSand

Enlightened
DO NOT try and get anything shipped in from overseas at the moment. It's extremely hit and miss with what will be accepted as a few of import laws regarding knives changed not that long ago for us.
There are a few Australian online retailers that import stuff and pass sell it off at quite ok prices. PM me if you want a contact for one.

Harry999

Enlightened
Not sure what knife laws are like in Australia but in the UK my favorite legal edc knife is the Spyderco Kiwi 3 Slip it. Very nice design and very easy to use given the excellent ergonomics. It has a great price as well.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
The SOG flash was a great knife and I was really sad when I lost it. Don't get the cheaper SOG stuff, they're all made in china...and not at the good plants. After I purchased a couple of mini knives that turned out to be crap, I quit buying SOG stuff. Manufactures need to realize that their name stamp reflects on their company even if its a 'cheap' knife. The flash was really great though.

bm1974

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if woot.com will ship to you in Australia, but I got a nice Kershaw Compound for $17 shipped, or Amazon has a Spyderco Tenacious for just over $30, shipped free if you have Amazon Prime.

+1 on tenacious. If you haven't looked Kershaw skyline, it's an awesome knife.

Dirty Bob

Newly Enlightened
Buck knives are much improved in recent years and are turning out some great little knives for the price. I'm a fan of their tiny(!) fixed blades, as well as their small, all-metal Caper. It's about $20 in the US and makes a great neck knife, once you make a Kydex sheath for it.

In your neck of the woods, why not look across a much smaller expanse of ocean to NZ, where Svord knives makes the really cool Peasant Knife? Perhaps shipments from NZ are treated more kindly, or maybe Svord knives are sold in Australia. My Peasant Knife (with plastic scales) was about $15 USD, and it's one of my favorite knives. No lock, just the long tang that uses your grip on the knife to keep it open. Simple, and you can take it apart for easy cleaning and lubrication. I consider it a screaming bargain.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

ToyTank

Enlightened
Kershaw makes some decent cheap knives.

I'd also look at a multitool. Maybe a leatherman Freestyle. I bought a leatherman freestyle CX for $17 on sale.

SunnyQueensland

Enlightened
DO NOT try and get anything shipped in from overseas at the moment. It's extremely hit and miss with what will be accepted as a few of import laws regarding knives changed not that long ago for us.
There are a few Australian online retailers that import stuff and pass sell it off at quite ok prices. PM me if you want a contact for one.

+1

I'd really like to source something within Australia.. makes my search pretty difficult though. :-/

Samy

Enlightened
I recently purchased a Swiss Army "Trekker" (sometimes called Trailmaster) with the serrated blade from a place in Moss St, Brisbane. It also has some other attachments including a mean diamond saw. I went this way because carrying something that's "just a big knife" can be frowned upon whereas i'm just carrying a swiss army knife... ;)

cheers

AmperSand

Enlightened
Samy,
Was that downundercamping? I have a Forester with dual density red scales I picked up from there too. I have quite a few alox SAK's that I carry too because they are basically no questions asked legal. Fav at the moment is a Cadet II plus in silver alox.

Chicago X

Enlightened
My favorite cheapie box-slayer is the Cold Steel "Tuff-Lite"

The Wharncliffe blade shape makes for excellent tip control while dispatching all types of packing materials, without cutting into the vitals.

The new, larger version (not the mini) fits my hand well, but YMMV.

It also comes scary-sharp from the factory, unlike the last 3 Ontario RAT knives I've purchased.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Something like this:
VictorinoxCadet.jpg

Vic Cadet. They come in other names with different tools. I would rather have an awl than a nail file, but that's just me.
Come in other colors too.