Walk Softly and Carry a Really Bright Flashlight

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I live in a very nice condo but it's backed up against another building. The space between our buildings acts like a sound amplifier as noise bounces between the two structures. Last night was pretty loud as parties raged well into the AM to welcome the New Year. One nice Russian family really knows how to party and are always VERY loud. It was about 3:30 am and the party moved out onto their balcony. Ah, yes... there's nothing like drunk guys shouting at one another when you're trying to get some sleep. Instead of calling the cops I reached for my SureFire 6P, which is the brightest flashlight I have (At least until my TigerLight gets here this week). Just as the ringleader turned to face me I turned on the light. At first he tried to swat the beam away as if some pesky insect was attacking him. I kept the beam on him and he gave up with little fight and they all went inside and turned down the music - no muss, no fuss. I saw him this afternoon when I was jogging. I thought he was going to be mad but instead he just smiled and said, "Hey, mister KGB. Where can I get one of those flashlights?" Moral of the story - Walk softly and carry a really bright flashlight. Happy New Year to all!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
in texas that will get you a beer bottle upside the head or shot. i don't shine my lights at people.
wink.gif

Skyline

Enlightened
LOL, I use my M6 for similar purposes. I usually have to follow up with some shouted curses and threats to call the cops.

*sigh*
frown.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having been born literally a few miles from the Alamo, I have a unique understanding of tkl's sentiments.

I think situations like that are hard to describe. Unless you are actually there it is difficult to appreciate why instincts dictated this response.

I know of one member that explained to me that they were ordering a 6P because they kayak fish and needed a quick-draw, bright light to let motorized boats know the presence of a small boat in their path.

I'm beginning to understand why so many CPFers don't mind the expense of running a SF. I've learned that they are not intended for extended use. I've learned that they are intended to be used as an easily carried, readily available, easily deployed bright light. I've learned that ownership of one requires a higher level of responsibility than most other flashlights. Yes, it took me 6 mo. but I did learn, thanks to CPF.

The first flashlights were not called flashlights. They attained that name because the batteries were so inefficient and expensive that the users found it necessary to just flash them when using them. So, until I can figure out rechargable LiIons, I guess I need to get over the expense thing and look into a starter E2E or C2 or 6P.

Glad it worked out. Maybe the incident can be used as a basis for building rapport. Maybe the neighbor needs a nice hobby.

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I was real careful not to shine the light in his eyes; I would only do that if I felt physically threatened and I needed to temporarily blind someone. It was meant to be a way for me to get his attention... he couldn't hear me over the loud music. I'll watch my step when I'm in Texas. :)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
No judgement call here Joel. Like I was saying...
Originally posted by Icebreak:

I think situations like that are hard to describe. Unless you are actually there it is difficult to appreciate why instincts dictated this response.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If anything I was just saying unless a person were a party to the situation you described, IMHO, that person wouldn't really know exactly what happened. Your reply did clarify it though. I sincerely hope you don't feel I was being judgemental. If anything your post propelled me to think about how important a 6P could be in my world.

Most of the rest of my reply was to let in Incan experts know that I appreciate the understanding I've received by reading this forum.

Thank you for letting me read about your experience. I would also like to repeat that there is a good possibility that you and your neighbor might become friends if you determine he is really interested in your excellent light.

High Regards,

Jeff