HELP - Which Led lights in a tall sloped ceiling

dee66

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a 17x22 foot room which has a 2 story ceiling where the only lighting is from the ceiling fan. We need to replace the ceiling fan and want to also put in recessed lighting with led lights. I am worried about which led bulbs would work best. The ceiling is 21 feet high and slopes on the sides with a flat middle. The ceiling fan will have a six to eight foot downrod in the middle of the room. I have about 6 feet on each side of the fan blade tip to the side walls. I want to make sure I do not get a strobe effect from the recessed lighting, but also provide adequate lighting in the room. This is our most used room in the house where we watch tv, read, play with the kids, etc.

Should I use a PAR type bulb or a BR type bulb. I was considering 3 sloped cans on each side and 2 regular can in the middle with a
Sylvania Ultra HD PAR 38 bulb (http://www.polar-ray.com/Sylvania-Ultra-HD-PAR38-LED-Bulb_p_294.html)

or a lighting science BR40 4000k bulb (http://www.polar-ray.com/Lighting-Science-Dimmable-BR40-LED-Bulb-_p_337.html)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I use a PAR type bulb or a BR type bulb.

Neither. If its a recessed fixture use a dedicated recessed LED fixture; Cree LR6 or equivelant clone.

jmac30

Newly Enlightened
If you are installing new recessed cans which it sounds like you are definitely bite the bullet on cost and go with a fixture designed and built from the ground up for led use - lifetime will help offset initial cost and make sure you get the right dimmers as well good luck there are (or used to be) online tools for lighting layout based on lamp photometrics use those to help plan your layout

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Use a designed fixture.

Home depot sells the CR6 fairly cheap. If you need a lot more light, look at the LR6-DR1000 units- but even those are now dated (And do NOT dim well).

There are 1000 lumen CREE LR4 units available and should be LR6 soon too.

Don't buy bulbs.