Small AA/AAA Travel Charger options

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are attempting to save travel space as I am, here are some AA/AAA charger options in order of size from smallest to largest:

The Sanyo USB charger NC-MDU01 is a smart charger for 1 or 2 AA _or_ AAA cells without a discharge function. It is intended to be plugged in to a USB port on a laptop. Remember to turn on the sleep-charge function of the USB port if you want to charge while the laptop is off. The cell(s) become noticeably warm at the end of the charge cycle as expected. This charger can charge either AA or AAA cells via a flip-up bar, but not both sizes simultaneously. The single blue charge LED blinks slowly during charging and steady when the charge cycle has completed for both cells. It will reject a "bad cell" by fast blinking. The LED is physically hidden behind the front case shell, but is very bright in use. I placed a couple layers of dark blue tape over that area. The instructions state that there is a high-temp protection function to stop charging if necessary. My experience with this charger is a few months.

The Sanyo AC-based "Compact Charger" NC-MDR02NU is a smart charger for 1 or 2 AA/AAA cells without a discharge function. The cell(s) become noticeably warm at the end of the charge cycle, as expected. This Sanyo charger can charge an AA and an AAA cell simultaneously. The single red charge LED is on during charging and shuts off when both cells have completed their charge. The instructions state that there is a high-temp protection function to stop charging if necessary. It uses a US-style flip-out plug to connect to 100-240VAC. My experience with this charger is less than a month.

The Sony BCG-HRE is a smart charger for 1-4 AA/AAA cells in any combination in any slot. There is an LED for each slot. The LED will be on steady when that slot is charging. It will reject a "bad cell" by blinking the LED for that slot. The LED turns off when charging in that slot is complete. A discharge/charge function is available. A single buttom will start the discharge for all slots, however all slots have to reach the set discharge voltage before charging is initiated on all slots. It uses a US-style flip-out plug to connect to 100-240VAC. I have more than a dozen of these chargers in the old (with LCD readout) or new version (LED only) in use in my extended family and acquaintances in the US & Germany with no reported problems.

The Titanium TG2800 is a smart charger for 1-4 AA/AAA cells in any combination in any slot. There is a 4 segment LCD readout for each slot. It will reject a "bad cell" by blinking for that slot. A discharge/charge function is available. The discharge starts with a single button, but initiates charging automatically for each individual slot when the set discharge voltage has been reached. It uses a US-style flip-out plug to connect to 100-240VAC. My experience with this charger is less than a few months. This charger was reviewed by Silverfox - look in the Charger Comparison in the sticky compilation by Unforgiven at the top of the forum.

The next size up would probably be the LaCrosse BC-700 which offers more functions, including an evaluation of mah capacity. I had no problems with my 2 copies. However it is getting too large for my travel style.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A few small chargers that have been discontinued that are decent are the energizer duo USB charger 1-2 AA/AAA 2 separate channels and the duracell mobile charger 1-4 AA/AAA built in flip plug for the US versions and it had a standard 12vdc input for operating in a vehicle also. I use my mobile charger almost daily while the energizer duo sits unused because I don't travel or am not away long enough to need to recharge batteries away from home.

bruintennis

Newly Enlightened
Of these these travel chargers, which is best? I'm looking to buy one or two as a gift and use to recharge Sanyo Eneloop AA/AAA batteries. My friend travels worldwide, so input voltage should accept 100v to 240v.

1) Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HLD2RN 1000 mAh Power Charger with 2 AA Pre-Charged Batteries ($11.48) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GS6FIE/?tag=cpf0b6-20

2)Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HRE4KN Quick with Refresh Charger and 4 Pre-Charged 2000 mAh AA Batteries ($30.69) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DL9WDG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

3) Sanyo eneloop NC-MQR06 AA AAA Size Battery Quick Charger Batteries Recharger ($19.00) - http://www.ebay.com/itm/190655219243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thank you.

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned
I dunno about first 2 ones, but I have 3rd one - Sanyo NC-MQR06W - and it performs great for it's size & price! Always terminates properly, charges all cells individually, quite fast (1120mA) with 2 cells, ultra-fast with just 1 cell (1680mA) and still has acceptable charging rate with 4 cells in it (560mA).

bruintennis

Newly Enlightened
I dunno about first 2 ones, but I have 3rd one - Sanyo NC-MQR06W - and it performs great for it's size & price! Always terminates properly, charges all cells individually, quite fast (1120mA) with 2 cells, ultra-fast with just 1 cell (1680mA) and still has acceptable charging rate with 4 cells in it (560mA).

Thanks for the input!

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bruintennis: ref your list of chargers 1,2,3,.

Charger #2 is the charger I referred to as the Sony BCG-HRE charger. The Sony cells have proven to be effective in my use. of the 3 chargers, this is the unit that I would recommend from years of experience.

Charger #1 is a question. The cells are AA-sized, yet only about 1/2 capacity. I would not want to bother with those. The charger evidently does charge individual cells, but has only one indicator which has to serve all 4 slots. That is rather confusing because you do not know which cell has finished or not, or which cell is bad. That forces the user back to trying out each individual cell to figure out what is going on.

Charger #3 has one indicator for 2 cells, so that means not so much confusion during charge or a bad cell indicator.

I strongly prefer chargers that can charge from 1 to x cells and each slot is controlled separately. I also stongly prefer having an indicator for each slot. The combination of both requirements drives up the cost. I also reject outright any charger that attempts a full charge for an AA cell in 15 min (or 30 min). All that does is ruin cells in my opinion.

pellgarlic

Newly Enlightened
Charger #3 has one indicator for 2 cells, so that means not so much confusion during charge or a bad cell indicator.

I strongly prefer chargers that can charge from 1 to x cells and each slot is controlled separately. I also stongly prefer having an indicator for each slot.

just FYI - the Sanyo MQR06 _does_ have an indicator per slot (so it has 4). They might just not be obvious on images posted on websites, but I have this charger, and it definitely has 4 separate indicator lights (and more importantly, charges each channel separately) =)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Sanyo Eneloop MDR02
It has only 2 slots and it's slower to charge than the MQR06 but it's lighter and more compact: ideal for traveling. It does have only one LED though.
I have both teh MDR02 and the MQR06 and they are both good chargers for that price range. They both can charge using one slot. The MQR06 is faster when charging only 2 cells but also bulkier and slightly more expensive.
You can see specs for both here

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
just FYI - the Sanyo MQR06 _does_ have an indicator per slot (so it has 4). They might just not be obvious on images posted on websites, but I have this charger, and it definitely has 4 separate indicator lights (and more importantly, charges each channel separately) =)

Correct. In another thread, a link to the Sanyo MQR manual was posted - whereupon I read the manual and realized my erroneous assumption. Sanyo saved some $$ by not providing a cutout in the case for the independent channel LEDs. Rather, the channel LEDs are evidently mounted just beneath the surface of the case and the glow can be observed thru the case plastic.

This is the same indication method used in the Sanyo USB charger, although that charger does have only one LED for 2 independent slots. The blue LED indicator illuminates the case so brightly that I had to place a couple layers of tape over the top of where the LED is located to cut down the brightness.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct. In another thread, a link to the Sanyo MQR manual was posted - whereupon I read the manual and realized my erroneous assumption. Sanyo saved some $$ by not providing a cutout in the case for the independent channel LEDs. Rather, the channel LEDs are evidently mounted just beneath the surface of the case and the glow can be observed thru the case plastic.

This is the same indication method used in the Sanyo USB charger, although that charger does have only one LED for 2 independent slots. The blue LED indicator illuminates the case so brightly that I had to place a couple layers of tape over the top of where the LED is located to cut down the brightness.

agree. too bright at night. disturbs my sleep

but the NC-MDU01 is one of my favorite chargers

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Sanyo MDU01 charger. Always carry it. The ultra bright blue LED is a bit distracting though.

An alternative is the Sanyo mobile booster 2xAA which I mulled over before getting the more compact one above.