• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku compatibility question

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
As most of you know I am still quite a newb in modern flashlights. I've been researching my *** off since deciding that I want a Mcgizmo light and want to make sure I am understanding some things before ordering from Don. This is my question:

Can I use the exact same Haiku Xm-L driven by the 3S converter on the 1x123 and the 2xAA Mclicky Pak? I would like to have the 123 for EDC and then change to the 2xAA if so desired. I have very large hands and prefer the 2xAA for camping and general use but consider the 123 pak to be better for EDC. I've read the Haiku and FAQ threads and want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

Thanks,
Matt

PS I don't know how the green laughing dude got up there.

CMAG

Enlightened
Yes you are correct " same Haiku Xm-L driven by the 3S converter on the 1x123 and the 2xAA Pak"
I had the same set up
Also have Malkoff VME head looks good on Don's paks

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The VME head looks good, but it only supports single-mode Malkoff drop-ins. I suppose McGizmo heads could be similarly accused of only supporting modified Aleph drop-ins, but at least they have multiple modes.

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
The VME head looks good, but it only supports single-mode Malkoff drop-ins.

I kinda felt the same way after doing some research, but you guys are right it is a good looking head. I like the fact that the clicky paks can give me the option of different heads in case I feel the need for a different application. It's a new idea for me. I would rather buy new heads than a complete flashlight every time. I like the thought of a couple of bodies (is this what you are calling hosts?) and maybe three different heads. One for pure spill, one with nice spill and throw combo and then one for pure throw. Makes for a cool kit. Nothing wrong with complete new flashlights either!:naughty:

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The term "host" is rather ambiguous. As far as I can tell, it means "the part(s) you're not considering replacing at the moment." I prefer the term "shell" to mean the part that all the other parts get installed into, and from there it can be broken into "battery tube", "tailcap" (if separate), "head", "bezel" (if separate), and adaptor(s) (if any are used).

As far as buying multiple heads to use with one battery tube: it sounds great in theory, but it's not very practical in real life. A bodyless head or a headless body has exposed electrical contacts, and more of an immediate concern, exposed lubricant on the threads. It's hard to keep them clean. Also, if you're going to have multiple heads, you might as well have multiple battery tubes so you can use more than one at a time.

Last edited:

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
As far as buying multiple heads to use with one battery tube: it sounds great in theory, but it's not very practical in real life. A bodyless head or a headless body has exposed electrical contacts, and more of an immediate concern, exposed lubricant on the threads. It's hard to keep them clean. Also, if you're going to have multiple heads, you might as well have multiple battery tubes so you can use more than one at a time.

Thanks for the vocabulary lesson, I need it. I did plan on having two battery tubes. The 123 and 2xAA Mclicky Paks. Starting off with the Haiku XM-L 3S converter and probably the Mule later when I can raise the cash. This would also give me different battery options. I have alot to think about.

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Also part of my kit, five mega makes stainless clicky packs that support 18650