headlamp purchase advice?

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
So i find myself needing a headlamp more and more, and the fenix headband is too heavy for hours on end use (at least for me). what do you guys think the "best" headlamp around $100 is a little more is fine but no $500 custom................. I could list what i need but I rather just state my edc light. HDS rotary with trits, that should give you an idea of what i am looking for. And I dont want to void any great lights by saying it has to be xxxx. thanks guys.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I love the everything about the HDS, except maybe lumen output. The main reason I need a headlamp is its just too heavy for hours on end use. Any one who works construction and has worn a hardhat for 8 to 12 hours knows what i mean. My basic needs are high, med, low, 200 lumen good runtime and tough. nothing to crazy but it must light. my neck is killing me from wearing the fenix headlamp,

Mods- can you please move this to "recommend me a light". thank you!

xenodrone

Newly Enlightened
I'm new and have a limited knowledge, but I really love my Black Diamond Storm. it's only 100 lumens, but it's got all those features. the Black Diamond Icon is 200 Lumen and probably every bit as good with the addition of a battery pack and probably some other features. as far as operation, I think it's the same as mine, one button controls everything, one high power LED, two low and two red LEDs. with exception of the red, the other two settings have the ability to control the brightness just by holding the button down to the low or high setting or anywhere in between. two other little features, a battery indicator LED lights for 5 seconds showing green/orange/red and the ability to lock the button to prevent accidental lighting in your backpack or pocket.

Like I said, I don't know a lot, but I love this light. I'll try to answer any other questions about it if you have any.

Gimpy

Newly Enlightened
Love my zebralight h600. That might be more light than you need, but they have plenty of models to choose from. I'm going to assume that I missed something, though, since 5 billion people haven't already made the suggestion :p

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should consider Surefire minimus. Single cell, light and comfortable headband setup. 1-100 lumens using a twist dial. Bomb proof and has got fresnel lens that organizes the beam for a nice flood. Price between $100 to $130.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
yeah, i was thinking about that one or the new 500 lumen one, but its a bit out of my price range.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all my headlamps the one I choose first is the Surefire Saint Minimus with adjustment to 100 lumens.

The newer one from Surefire with up to 500 lumens would not be a good choice for working or being around other people; 500 lumens in someone's eyes would not be welcome.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
completely agree with you i find a 100 offensive in certain conditions, I will using it when I am alone in most cases, does anyone have the weight on the maximus?

Megatrowned

Enlightened
I recently picked up a ZL h600fw. I got this solely for work, and I have even attached it to my hard hat on a few occasions. Best headlamp I have used. The flood is great, and being neutral in color, it is pleasing to the eyes. And the amount of light + runtime is rediculous compared to any AAA or AA headlamp one could buy at a "Big Box Store".

Just my 2 cents.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
For construction I would consider the Spark SD series. They have the beam pattern you want while working with your hands. . I If you end up on the SD52, run it on 2 IFR14500 batteries to get the most trouble free results. I used an SD 52 all of last winter. It came in handy on the short days of winter. we were working 10 hour days. Dark when you start and finish the day. I put the strap around my hard hat and taped it in a few places. It worked good. Another thing I like about my spark is the magnet. it is useful as a utility light or to store it out of the way when not in use.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a hand held light for years but since I've been using a bicycle to do my patrols at my part time security gig, someone suggested to me to use a headlamp. I looked around and decided to go with a Zebralight H600. I've been using it for a few nights now and it is fantastic. The best thing yet if that it it's light weight and comfortable to use. The UI is easy figure out and it uses a 18650 cell.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2