Dereelight nightmasterv2 vs. saabluster's modded small sun?

serpantslayer

Newly Enlightened
Hey Im looking for a nice thrower and I don't know weather to get the small sun from onestopthrowshop.com or a dereelight nightmaster v2. Any input would be great!

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost Identical, you get 90k lux on both.

How about the FandyFire STL V6 of onestopthrowshop? It's rated at 115k lux, more throw than both lights you mentioned and costs the same as the small sun. Good thing about this is that you get good spill.

If you want a better thrower (with a bigger spot) you could go for the Dereelight XSearcher or the Crelant 7G5V2 with Collimator head, you get 100+ lux on the XSearcher, while you get about 90k+ on the Crelant w/ Collimator.

Of course, all these will be beaten by the modded TN31 which has 235k lux. This puts this light in the "big boy" thrower light range along with the SR95 UT and SR90, etc etc etc...

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
One of my very reliable friend get fandyfire and small sun flashlights... I will not tell his identity... But is experienced flashaholic...

So true story is that Fandyfire throws equal as Nightmaster V2, and Smallsun throws less...

Following measurements taken by him 10 meters converted:

small sun - 75Kcd
fandyfire - 90Kcd
XSearcher-XM-L U2 - 96Kcd
XSearcher XR-E EZ900 Q5 - 152Kkcd
NM V2-S - 90Kcd

And I am pretty sure that aspheric Xsearcher with modded 2 amp R2 EZ 900 pill would throw same like Saabluster TN31...

Fandy fire has very nice reflector and nice throw with all beam characteristic, he does not like small sun at all...

About [FONT=&quot]fandy fire and small sun they come dedomed, the pills has not direct copper bonding; the fandyfire has a big circle aluminium PCB with a de-dome XM-L emitter, the shape of the reflector looks good to throw; the small sun has a very thin beam, thinner than NMV2, about 1/3 area and de-domed XP-E emitter.[/FONT]

Trevtrain

Enlightened
Hard to directly compare the TN31 with the nightmaster as they are totally different beam profiles.

Even though the lux for both may be similar on paper, I find my Dereelight more useful for long range spotting of stationary objects when there is little ambient light. The target stands out from the surroundings.

The TN31 is awesome and overall more useful but to me, distant objects are not as distinct due to my night vision being compromised by the Thrunite's flood.

It really depends on your purpose which one is more suitable but you can't rely on lux or lumens in this case. The two lights are apples & oranges.

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
Roadkill - Yes... About lux readings do U maybe know what institution has authority to do lux meter calibration? I want to calibrate mine to measure as Saablusters than I would have 117KCD for nightmaster and 180KCD for Xsearcher :)

Trevtrain- Yes I agree with you...

Stock nightmaster will easy outthrow stock TN31... In fact it will easily outthrow almost all stock reflector LED throwers in a world including biggest ones...

With aspheric you will certainly see further into the night because it does not spoils your night vision... Eyes are very sensitive organs so I think it is important what U can see and not just paper numbers of mostly inaccurate light meters...

So plenty of people here are talking about aspheric as pencil beams, laser beam, are not useful, they are just for playing etc. etc...

But I can say from mine experience that they are very wrong... For me aspheric is number one for distant searching, and beam is definitely not laser :) Hotspot of aspheric is just incredible and stock LED reflector throwers can not match that kind of intensity...

So aspheric is all about throw, true dedicated throwers that comes in acceptable size...

So people use your eyes not numbers...