Help needed in buying UV shortwave

migeroo

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm trying to find a "practical" UV Shortwave portable light for mineral collecting. I need it to be powerful so I can be at least 15 feet from rocks I shine light on. I don't know enough about lights to build one myself. I have checked all kinds of sources and they don't seem to sell anything practical.... the most used I found is a "Superbright" but it only has 8W and you have to hold the objects close up to see anything, not to mention a separate battery pack... not my thing... Any recommendation will greatly be appreciated. Or if you are willing to build me one let me know the specs. Thanks .....

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
A solarforce l2, l2m, l2t or other p60 host and a nailbender or other UV drop in. Eagletac T20C2 MKII has a UV drop in as well. Other options and more pricey is having a UV mag built using some of the larger led's like the cbt-120 UV.

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
Shortwave UV is extremely hard to find in LEDs. There are a few out there, but they are $300 and up. Your best bet is to find an incandescent lamp that produces a lot of UV at the wavelength you want and then get a lens made to filter out everything else you don't want. Hope this helps.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There's a thread on Nichia UV LEDs, but for 365 nm, 15' is actually tough.

I too am always on the lookout for longer range UV lights, but, its a tough bandwidth.

Florescents seem to be best so far in practice. I have some 395 UV with very good range, but, 365 nm is an elusive range.

migeroo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I know it may be pricy. And I'm willing to pay $500 or more if its a good set up. I guess I could go down to maybe a solid 5 ft of illumination. I would like to be able to walk while I'm looking for stuff. I just don't want to be inches from the ground at night.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
Sorry to dig up an old thread but wanted to know if anything has changed in the last couple of years. Is there a P60 drop-in that produces short wave UV (100-280nm)? I can only find fluorescent type UV lights in that range on the internet. Thanks.