Spy Rip Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light has been around for some time. There is a closed thread on the coolfall sub forum. Probably not a good idea to start another thread / discussion.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
They needed to machine over 2000 bodies to get their machining shops to start work at a reasonable rate...so I'm guessing there will be lots of ZIP20 lying around unsold. The finishing is 2nd rated at best and without a dedicated "off" switch, it is so easy to accidently switch on the light while in your pocket or pouch. Not a good copy...bad choice to screw your brand in the marketplace :thumbsdow

nbp

Flashaholic
Now that I have actually owned a 007 and seen the craftsmanship and ingenuity that went into it first hand, these make me even more angry than when they were first introduced. :mad:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose one way of looking at it is like downloading free MP3s in the late '90s. You can download them as much as you want, but you have to buy the original album on CD. In a similar way you can buy a ZIP20, but you have to buy a SPY 007 as well. Or two 007s. :)

Arm and Leg

Banned
I suppose one way of looking at it is like downloading free MP3s in the late '90s. You can download them as much as you want, but you have to buy the original album on CD. In a similar way you can buy a ZIP20, but you have to buy a SPY 007 as well. Or two 007s. :)
Exactly, I always buy the real thing after buying a clone.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It wasn't confusing, I totally got it. :) By "To each his own" I meant just that: Every person is entitled to his or her personal preferences, tastes and choices. Whatever floats your boat.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, that was confusing, I meant, I always buy the real thing if I buy the clone to it.

Since you have decided that you will eventually buy both, may I suggest that you buy the real one first. Perhaps after you have used a real one, you may decide after that the fake one is not worth it. That may save you some money at the end of the day not buying the fake.
:)

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why even support the fake one in the first place? To save money? who doesn't want that but that's expletive removed excuse to me! You'll understand it once you have your own idea or work stolen and passed off as an inferior work for half the price. I like Niteye and some of the work they've done for Jetbeam and (rumoured) upcoming work under the brand of Niteye but this is not cool at all and reflects very poorly on their brands and the owners, especially with their intention to becoming a major player in the market now that they have killed off the Jetbeam brand.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
... You'll understand it once you have your own idea or work stolen and passed off as an inferior work for half the price.
Unless you have a patent on the product (and in the country of concern) and you have the means to defend it (and are fully prepared to do so), then you will have to live with it. That's the way the world turns.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been covered at length. Niteye withdrew the ZIP20 (check out their website as there is no sign of it there). It seems though that some made their way out into the marketplace and so the sellers will flog them off. Unfortunately for Niteye their name is on these lights, so even if they no longer have any association with them, the backlash continues.

Check out the earlier thread/s as this has been thrashed out before.

stateoftheart

Enlightened
What are the LEDs on the side all about it looks like a hds 60 copy with red LED, if anyone does buy it let us know how terrible it is please, as i am intrigued someone went to all that effort in producing a non commercial product. It must have been their director being a little bored...?

Status
Not open for further replies.