Laser Safety Thread

dragonhaertt

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
Maybe it is a good idea to post a general laser safety thread, as there is many warnings and regulations scattered around this forum.
I do not know enough about this matter to make one, so i would ask you smart people to compose a simple and easy safety guide, including:
Cleaning (disarming your laser)
Power levels (general use, range and permanent damage)
IR filters
Goggles
general use (NEVER point at someone)
and what i really miss on the forum, do not ever point a laser at a aircraft or helicopter. Not only is this illegal (atleast where i live) but once you have had it happen to you you'll know why. Especially at night a helicopter pilot will be totally blinded even by a 5mw green laser.

lazerphase

Newly Enlightened
-Goggles are needed for any laser above 5mW
-532nm Green lasers sometimes emit dangerous levels of IR and if the laser is powerful enough (about 200mW or more) IR protection is needed
-IR filters are recommended for 532nm green lasers
-If you are new to lasers, stay under 100mW, if you don't have goggles stick with 5mW
-Never point a greater than 5mW laser inside without goggles, however, you can point a greater than 5mW laser up to the sky without goggles
-Keep your laser locked away and disarmed from any child or inexperienced user who may come to harm by it.
-And YES, never point your laser at someone!

Eidetic

Newly Enlightened
The first rule of laser safety is "Terminate the beam". Always know where the beam will end and what can happen at that point, before the beam gets there. Rule #2 is "Control the beam path". Never allow anything or anyone to have access to the beam, to either move through it or put anything into it. Rule #3 is "Always work with the the least amount of power necessary". Goggles are a last resort. If these three rules are always followed, goggles are as unnecessary as bicycle helmets.

candlelights

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed that there are many people wanted lase here. It is so necessory for this thread. Good thread! Good job.

mpcrice

Newly Enlightened
Be careful about shining the beam at shiny objects as it is sometimes difficult to know where the beam will go upon reflection.

Even be careful about non shiny or matte surfaces as a high powered beam may scatter enough light to be dangerous to those nearby.