Looking for ideas, on how to improve grip on a Maglite 4D?

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened
Like the title says, looking for ideas, on how to improve grip on a Maglite 4D? just too slick in the hand for my liking.

Thanks for helpful hints!!!!

Poppy

Flashaholic
There is also a "stretch and seal" plumbers tape, it has a rubberized feel to it. There is an electrical tape that is also similar, a rubberoid tape that sticks to itself.

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Koppo (sp?) paracord wrap, i use it on my 4D, 6D, and 2D. Provides grip(much more than any tape) and a lanyard with length to grasp the end and access the switch. Highly recommend. Very easy to do, how to videos are on YouTube

here is a pic of my 6D (there is 17' or so of useable paracord on that wrap)
http://imgur.com/KQEBEUF

edit- leaves no glue residue obviously and gives you 10-20 feet of usable paracord as an added bonus should the need arise. I'd never tape up one of the maglites I love

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjyFc2AgS0

Last edited:

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I use the "Nite Ize Grip N Clip" for D-cell flashlights. It slides on and can be taken off if you want. There's a clip at the top for hooking onto your belt and offers alot of security and comfort. I'm finding them on line for $5.95-8.00.

Slazmo

Enlightened
Military grade heat shrink with a rubberised cross pattern texture - we use them here in Aus for fishing rod grips. Expensive stuff but would tie in well with a black Maglite! Can be found readily on eBay and other sites.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
I stretched sections of bicycle inner tube over the body of my D-cell and C-cell Maglites.
This is also a great idea. I have used this on other items besides flashlights and it works really well. Not only is it grippy but it's also protective in nature. Not to mention fairly inexpensive.

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest utilizing skateboard tape cut into 1/4 inch strips wrapped on a diagonal.
Grip tape works really well, and that's been a trick used in the firearms community for years as well. You can get the same stuff for less money if you search for traction tape, or non-slip / anti-slip / non-skid safety tape. The other benefit is that traction tape is usually available in narrower widths than skateboard tape, so you can get a more flashlight appropriate wrapping width to start with. You can get a 2 inch by 8 foot roll of "Skid Guard Safety Tape" for about $6 at most home improvement / hardware stores. If you want some nice color options search for KSC super grip tape.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smurftacular had it done first that I saw. Rhino liner. I had my EL BNG partially done but its in my semi at work and I am off for vacation. They shot mine free when they did my truck bed. This is Smurftaculars http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=w6wea&s=5

Last edited:

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Grip tape works really well, and that's been a trick used in the firearms community for years as well. You can get the same stuff for less money if you search for traction tape, or non-slip / anti-slip / non-skid safety tape. The other benefit is that traction tape is usually available in narrower widths than skateboard tape, so you can get a more flashlight appropriate wrapping width to start with. You can get a 2 inch by 8 foot roll of "Skid Guard Safety Tape" for about $6 at most home improvement / hardware stores. If you want some nice color options search for KSC super grip tape.

Yes those are great choices as well. The reason I like skateboard tape is because it is easier to cut into custom widths, especially narrow widths. I use a rotary wheel paper cutter, and you have to align it with the edge of the machine. If the strip is too narrow it tends to skew to one side. With the skateboard tape because it is in actual sheets I get straight lines when doing thin strips because you have more control inside of the machine (until I use up 2/3 of the sheet).

Ana

Newly Enlightened
Military grade heat shrink with a rubberised cross pattern texture - we use them here in Aus for fishing rod grips. Expensive stuff but would tie in well with a black Maglite! Can be found readily on eBay and other sites.

Elastomer rubber heat shrink tubing is a 2:1 military grade, has a cross-linked texture making it ideal for something like this and it is quite expensive but if you trawl the web someone might have some for a lesser amount, but it's quality.

LuxN

Newly Enlightened
Try the Dupli-color spray can truck bedliner. I've tried other brands on different things and none of them have the "rubbery" feel of the duplicolor. I've sprayed multiple things with this and it works great. My son beat up his stock to his old pellet gun and I took it apart and sprayed the stock, came out nice. Wish I still had a picture. No prep needed either, just spray it on.

*just realized this thread is over a year old.. I doubt OP is even around anymore.

Last edited: