2013 Honda Accord Touring V6 interior led kit,also back-up lights,license plate

Hot Brass

Enlightened
I have a 2013 Honda Accord Touring V6 sedan on order and I would like to change out all the interior bulbs(8) and also the back-up and license plate bulbs to led.Which is the best brand for plug and play and zero fitment issues? Thanks,Hot Brass

SemiMan

Banned
I am not sure I have ever changed an interior bulb on car .. or license plate either for that matter. Incan is not terrible for interior lights, the lack of blue is good for keeping night vision.

Backup lights are considered safety equipment and it is not illegal to change to a non approved and non testing bulb such as virtually any LED bulb. It must be qualified and tested in the reflector and you can bet not 1 ever has.

Not sure about the license plate bulb ... Schein?

Of course, why would you want to bling a Honda Accord Sedan?

Semiman

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I have a 2013 Honda Accord Touring V6 sedan on order and I would like to change out all the interior bulbs(8) and also the back-up and license plate bulbs to led.

You can mess with the interior lights all you want, but putting "LED bulbs" in the car's exterior lights is illegal and unsafe. They do not (cannot) work effectively in accordance with what is required by law. Legally-required safety lights such as the license plate light and the reversing light are closely regulated as to all aspects of their performance, and they do not (cannot) perform as intended when the wrong type of light source is installed.

Hot Brass

Enlightened
You can mess with the interior lights all you want, but putting "LED bulbs" in the car's exterior lights is illegal and unsafe. They do not (cannot) work effectively in accordance with what is required by law. Legally-required safety lights such as the license plate light and the reversing light are closely regulated as to all aspects of their performance, and they do not (cannot) perform as intended when the wrong type of light source is installed.

Actually my Accord comes from the factory with LED headlights and Led tailights.Backups and license plates are boring incandecent.Thanks,Hot Brass (Canada)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
You're misunderstanding the point. LED lamps designed as LED lamps are great, but putting an "LED bulb" into a lamp intended to take an incandescent ruins the lamp's safety performance. Don't do it. Your license plate lights and your reversing lamps are neither "boring" nor entertaining. That's not their job.

Hot Brass

Enlightened
You're misunderstanding the point. LED lamps designed as LED lamps are great, but putting an "LED bulb" into a lamp intended to take an incandescent ruins the lamp's safety performance. Don't do it. Your license plate lights and your reversing lamps are neither "boring" nor entertaining. That's not their job.

Thanks! Hot Brass

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some red LED "194" bulbs for the map lights in my car and am happy with them. I actually like the look of incandescents in the dome lights, foot well lights, puddle lights etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTerrence

Newly Enlightened
I'd be curious to hear whether there are any real benefits to interior LED lighting. I know that some luxury cars use LED dome lights and the like. I think that I read that the new S-Class will use only LED lights on the interior, for example.

Is that just for the purpose of being distinct, e.g. a different colour, or are there other factors to it? Normal advantages of LEDs, including long life, low power usage, small size, and the ability to illuminate in a particular colour, don't seem like they'd be terribly useful in an automotive interior context. (As dome/map/accessory lights, anyway.)

SemiMan

Banned
I doubt they have any significant advantage other than styling for interior at least w.r.t. light output. You could perhaps control the light better such that the passenger light say does not bother the driver. Other advantages would be packaging ... i.e. very thin/small and no need to make a bulb replaceable. Small advantage perhaps of reduced wire thickness/cost as well.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I can think of one big advantage: if you leave the interior lights on, you have a lot longer before the car battery goes dead!

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
Oh yeah...duh forgot about that obvious advantage. :)

And as Semiman said, definitely more control on the design end of things. Smaller, less glare to the driver, dimmable, etc. Also the fact that LED is the marketing thing right now (not to knock the technology as I enjoy it too) so companies can sway tech minded people in their direction.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have very big thread, with pic, and real world experience with few brands.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have very big thread, with pic, and real world experience with few brands.

"Real world experience" is meaningless if we're talking about sticking LED 'bulbs' in regulated motor vehicle safety equipment, such as reverse lamps and registration plate lamps. Noöne's "real world experience" can get around or excuse the fact that these LED drop-ins are unsafe and ineffective and illegal.

SemiMan

Banned
Many cars shut off interior lights automatically now after a period of time if there is no activity.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many cars shut off interior lights automatically now after a period of time if there is no activity.

Mine shut off automatically just as soon as the battery runs down!

Actually, a friend gave me an LED panel that came with various adapters. I put it in the second dome light of the Previa. I'd gone to lunch and taken coworkers, and the one didn't close the sliding door all the way. When I got out to the car after work, it was still shining quite brightly but hardly touched the battery. I'd have noticed a stutter had it been a DE3175 burning all those hours.

Sad, though, that the LED panel LOOKS bright but it just doesn't cut it compared to a DE3175. One might think "whoa, bright enough" but it doesn't light the cabin nearly as well, and it's kindof a ghostly moonlight color. Saved my battery-bacon, though! (Sure, it's only a nominal 10W bulb, but still.)

Last edited:

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
That's why we see the market in LED replacements for interior bulbs in RV's. They live off their batteries for long periods. An LED replacement for the 921 bulb in my Corolla reverse lamp is a non starter. But there is a wide choice of LED replacements for 921 RV interior bulbs, including some that look like little cards rather than bulbs. Inside a Winnebago you just need enough light to get around, but you do need a good battery in the morning.

splew

Newly Enlightened
I'd be curious to hear whether there are any real benefits to interior LED lighting. I know that some luxury cars use LED dome lights and the like. I think that I read that the new S-Class will use only LED lights on the interior, for example.

Is that just for the purpose of being distinct, e.g. a different colour, or are there other factors to it? Normal advantages of LEDs, including long life, low power usage, small size, and the ability to illuminate in a particular colour, don't seem like they'd be terribly useful in an automotive interior context. (As dome/map/accessory lights, anyway.)

Good LED replacement bulbs provide more light, at a more pleasing color temp, while also drawing less power that the cheap incandescent bulbs most cars come with.

I replaced all 4 dome lights on my car with 9 LED (IIRC they are 5050 SMD) boards with bulb adapters. They are really bright.

019_zpsb9d14bd4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

020_zps57f9f2d8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The pics aren't the best, as they were taken at night with my iPhone, but you get the idea.

SemiMan

Banned
That would be great stationary but kill night vision while driving if your passengers are looking for anything.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

fyrstormer

Banned
That would be great stationary but kill night vision while driving if your passengers are looking for anything.
I've had cool-white LED bulbs installed in my car's interior dome lights pretty much since the day I bought the car, and I've had no trouble with my night vision. The LED bulbs work better in that respect, because they don't have to be as bright overall in order to generate the necessary amount of blue light to see clearly. I know everyone's vision is different, but I can't see for s*** if all I have to work with is yellow light -- my pupils open too wide to get sharp focus. With the cool-white lights, passengers can find what they're looking for more quickly, so the light doesn't have to be turned on as long.

Also, my car came with HID projector lowbeams, which are fantastic; they have excellent fill in the area they cover, and the sharp cutoff lets me know exactly how far I can see, so I can adjust my driving accordingly. I've never had any trouble seeing where I'm going with them, even with all the passengers' interior lights on. I will never buy a car without HID lowbeams ever again.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had cool-white LED bulbs installed in my car's interior dome lights pretty much since the day I bought the car, and I've had no trouble with my night vision. The LED bulbs work better in that respect, because they don't have to be as bright overall in order to generate the necessary amount of blue light to see clearly. I know everyone's vision is different, but I can't see for s*** if all I have to work with is yellow light -- my pupils open too wide to get sharp focus. With the cool-white lights, passengers can find what they're looking for more quickly, so the light doesn't have to be turned on as long.
Blue light focuses in front of the retina, causing a sort of nearsightedness. The "pinhole camera effect" requires very tight pupil constriction; levels of light causing such constriction for very long will wreck night vision.

I've never had any trouble seeing where I'm going... even with all the passengers' interior lights on.

Your seeing performance goes down with the presence of interior lights whether you know it or not, or whether you believe it or not. This is just a simple fact, in part based on that night driving uses mesopic vision, and an abundance of interior light will 'break' that-- especially if it contains much blue.