Recommended bulbs for 2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L

DrVeghead

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
What bulbs would you recommend considering for 2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L low beam headlights, in the USA? The originals are burning out.

The car parts store web sites point me to various H11 bulbs, e.g. Sylvania XtraVision and Philips.

Further, is there an HIR bulb that would be a good option? I am not familiar with H11 but have modified an HIR2-9012 bulb to fit a 9006 base on older cars.

I searched the forum but didn't find such info.

Edited to add:
I did see this post about the 2014 Odyssey, but it's asking about using H9 and in a prior generation of the van.
Further, the H11 recommendations linked in posts such as this one
are no longer available on Amazon.

My headlamps appear to be projector style.

Last edited:

EJR

Newly Enlightened
For the lamps in your Odyssey, you can upgrade to the Philips H9 successfully. These bulbs will have the highest output over any H11 high performance bulb. This particular bulb basically maxes out the lighting potential of your headlamps.

For the high beams, you can upgrade to the Sylvania 9011, sold at Auto Zone.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 2018 pilot, more likely that not it uses same projector unit inside the headlight as Odessy, i did swap h11s for h9s, it did improve somewhat, but there was no night and day difference, however h9s have no dark tip, and in theory should not be used, but i had my wife drive it while i was driving another car in front of it, it did not blind me that much, probably more glare than with stock h11 with blacktip. but nowhere close to how led or hid kits would blind you.

EJR

Newly Enlightened
I had 2018 pilot, more likely that not it uses same projector unit inside the headlight as Odessy, i did swap h11s for h9s, it did improve somewhat, but there was no night and day difference,

The halogen projectors in your Pilot (made by NAL/Koito) are not the same as the halogen projectors in his Odyssey (made by Stanley). Different optics but both lamps still benefit with the H9 upgrade.

however h9s have no dark tip, and in theory should not be used,

This is only true with certain lamps. For your Pilot and the Odyssey, its perfectly fine.

but i had my wife drive it while i was driving another car in front of it, it did not blind me that much, probably more glare than with stock h11 with blacktip. but nowhere close to how led or hid kits would blind you.

Projector lamps have shields inside which produces the sharp cutoff. It prevents light from reaching above the horizon. Depending on the optical design, some light is allowed to escape above the cutoff (referred to as uplight) to illuminate signs. Putting in a brighter bulb, such as a H9 in a H11 lamp, will increase that uplight slightly but it doesn't necessarily mean that light directed towards the glare zone is going to reach levels that would be considered non-compliant.

For example, here is your Pilot low beam with factory H11 on top and Philips H9 bottom. I've outlined a border in white which represents the glare zone. Notice how that region is darker than the illuminated uplight box above it? The H9, though it is brighter, does not really increase the measured light in the glare zone but there is noticeable increase in the uplight box.

koito black h11 vs h9.png

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless there is a specific problem with the performance of the lamps you have (had), I am a fan of oem parts. I have a 2011 Honda CR-V with the original lamps now 13yo. Love them and wouldn't change a thing.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is they suck, design is not that great.
For Pilot, maybe, for your purposes. They're great in CR-V for mine, and OP didn't express any such thing about Odyssey, nor any reason to change from oem. He merely asked for recommendations.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is because your crv has reflectors, not projectors, i liked reflectors in my 2009 accord better than projectors in later 2013 accord.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I like is halogen as opposed to xenon or LED, but reflectors don't hurt, and I do prefer them.