Malkoff Headlamp

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Lets see a show of hands..Malkoff fans or not.
Even if you're not an owner of Malkoff products, if you've been on CPF for any length you:ve probably heard about the very high quality, reliability, excellent service backing, and lifetime warranty of Malkoff Devices products.

The question: How many CPF folks would spring for a Malkoff headlamp if he made one of his own design and manufacture?

I'd buy two of them right away.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Knight_Light

Enlightened
Malkoff makes excellent products (I own them). There is no doubt that they have quality but the ultimate decision would be based on the final product. How small compact it was. How efficient the driver was. They would also have to get into firefly modes to satisfy some of the headlamp crowd. But that is an excellent question you pose and hopefully that's something they will consider doing in the future.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love one! But headlamp needs to have more than 2 modes. It's been awhile since i followed Malkoff products. I don't recalled Malkoff products having more than 2 modes. I guess less modes = simple, and simple = less failure.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
H-M-L would suffice for me.....around 200 lumens or so on HI would be good. Make the mode spacing 100-50-10 percentage wise. Beam profile like an M61....mostly floody, wide hotspot with nicely graduated transition. AA/14500 preferred. Keep it simple, Malkoff style. No blinkies, no red, no battery indicator. Regulated for a while, then direct drive with gradual output drop.

Make it tough. Reliable. Make it so you feel good about dropping 80-100 bucks on it. If its a little bigger and heavier than ZL, who cares. Add a topstrap to the headband to take the weight.

This I ask of the Flashlight Gods, amen.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love one! But headlamp needs to have more than 2 modes. It's been awhile since i followed Malkoff products. I don't recalled Malkoff products having more than 2 modes. I guess less modes = simple, and simple = less failure.

One of Malkoff's latest Drop-in's, the M361 has Low/Medium/High and if you use it in the Malkoff MD2 with the High/Low ring then that gives 6 different outputs.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I would jump all over a 18650 headlamp in the (zebralight) angle head or (spark) T head style using a P-60 drop in. And his 2 mode UI with a twist head would be fine with me that's all I really need for most tasks. Malkoff would be great, but I would get on if offered from anyone!

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headband with a hinged e-series threading and a switch in front (or threading for the md-2 head). Put the battery on the back for balance. That way we could use our md-2 with any drop in . Or the vme, a surefire e series, or mdc heads.

Kammerat your inbox is full.

Last edited:

jamie.91

Enlightened
I'm not an headlight user any more (change of job) but if I was on the market for a headlight again I would definitely consider a malkoff!

It might be bulky but if it was P60 compatible the possibilities would be phenomenal:)

For my preference and to suite the last job i had where i used an headlight (railworker) the best setup would be 2x18650 battery pack on the rear for balance and 2 modes, 200 lumens and a turbo mode for short bursts.

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may not be what you guys were expecting, but malkoff released a headband for his MDC lights.

photonmaster

Banned
Kind of impossible to answer without knowing what it would be like.

Maybe, therefore.

Like the idea of finding out about one that's for sure. Would he be able to actually supply them though?

gsr

Enlightened
I looked at the Malkoff web site. and the head band looks pretty good. It gives you two (maybe three) mounting options. One option points the light down, and the other forward from the left. There may be a right side mount loop, but I couldn't tell from the photos on the site. As an MDC owner, I can tell you that it is a light worth having.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
For 20 bucks, I think its worth a lookee. My guts tell me Gene Malkoff wouldnt have it in his lineup if it werent tough and 110% funtional for what is is intended to do. From the looks of the wide flat webbing Im betting its extremly comfortable...no folded over double thicknesses of strappage fed through plastic square rings. All pressure points. My new XTAR H1 strap is the most severely miserable thing Ive had on my head to date.

Ill be ordering one.....just not this week...:eek:

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least two loops to hold the 2 MDC. Gives you another reason to get multiple MDCs. Imagine walking around with 2 MDCs on your head.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
And both running 14500's. :eek:

My MDC is unbelievably bright on a 14500 cell