This is how my Surefire A2 became my favorite light

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Hello guys,

I always been looking with interest the Surefire A2 aviator, not only because of the advantage of an incandescence bulb that is regulated (only few regulated incan out here), neither because of the tailcap masterpiece, that allow you 4 differents modes + LOTC. No, i really was interested in the ability to change between 100 lumens from an incan to 30 lumens from 3 LED.

I have to say that i have been really lucky lately with Surefire old stock hunting here in Europe. I was able to find 3 NIB A2-HA-WH for almost nothing (not the 4 flats version, the newer).

I start looking what has been done on this light in CPF, this amazing database. Then wanted an Aviatrix multimodes LED ring, dead end on this project.
found Onion ring from Koala, ordered 1 ring, single mode, 2-3ma to 40ma to led, regulated, contain a led driver, so doesnt need resistor for each type of led (red, UV, blue etc...)
I was able to use my user dedicated A2 intensively during my month of army duty (militia system here in Switzerland), this light had the onion ring from Koala installed, with 3 Nichia 140° warm white led (2 die per LED, max 70ma const.) I mostly use the incan beam for vehicle check-point inspection at night, or for medium range spotter (50yard-ish), i loved how white was the beam. We where changing from one bunker to another bunker almost every 2-3 days, often coming in our section dorm (triple bunk bed...) with small groups splitted, late during night or early morning, i found that the nichia WW LED were just awesome, in comparaison with some chinese angry blue LED flashlights from my buddies. Everything seemed more soft, more contrasted. Only downside, not enought throw, 140° its a lot for 5mm LED, a real flooder.

Then i was lucky enought again to be able to receive 2 Calipsoii multimodes led ring from Canada, knowing that the sales thread was close for almost a year. (thanks again Mike!)

I order the semi finished version of it, i wanted to be able to install my own LED (snobby i know...), i found the perfect led that i wanted, Nichia released them not so long ago, they are the same as the flooder before (2 die per led, max 70ma - 26lumens) BUT this time with 35° angle and still in Warm white (2900-3300K)

im going to skip long detail on Calipsoii led rings (you can find all the information in this forum), but basically there is a micro-controller that allows you to switch between 2 led to 1, works with power pulse from the tailcap, and allows you to choose the intensity of each mode with a ramping mode.

i Wanted one ring with 2x WW nichia 35° + 1x Red from nichia too. and the other led ring with 2x WW nichia 35° + 1x Yellow/green (Calipsoii source).

Here is the unfinished multi-mode led ring, note the little SMD resistor.

photo_1.jpg

here is the led ring with the 3 SMD resistor soldered and the 3 led soldered (2WW + 1Y/G)

photo_2.jpg

look at the size of this SMD componant, you better not to be shaking.

photo_4.jpg

Left Calipsoii multimode, center Koala onion ring (off, too bright for the picture), right Calipsoii multimode

photo_2_1.jpg

another angle

photo_1_1.jpg

left Koala onion ring, the rest Calipsoii multimode, first with 2 Warm white in lowest mode, next to the red on his lowest too.
photo_3_1.jpg

Here you can see the temperature difference between the same Nichia 35°(NSDL570GS-K1 F3-6 P8-10) in cool white and the Warm white version (note that the left has 3 LED at 40ma, its the koala onion ring, on the right its the Calipsoii multimode, with 2 Warm white lit at 30ma)
photo_1_2.jpg

the following beamshots are taken at 4 feet from a white textured wall (led on max setup):

Yellow/green, not too ringy (sand blasted, then slightly polished), i like how throwy is the beam.
photo_2_2.jpg

Nichia RED (NSPR510GS Rp U/T), no artefact, beautiful! (note the center spot sandy texture, its my wall texture)
photo_3_2.jpg

Nichia warm white 35°, best beam i have seen on 5mm led, and very powerful too. (on 5 led, not much color variation between them, but if you order them in cool white, you should order more samples, because color variation are more important from one led to another)
photo.jpg

I hope this make you want to search for your old A2 aviator, in my opinion this light is a perfect all-arounder.

I did not mention that i found a Strion bi-pin kit for it, from Fivemega, in the Market place (lucky again).
The spot is more intense, and throw considerably further, but i believe that the life of the bulb will be shorter than a original SF LA. (still Strion bulb cost 9USD here, i still consider it a nice uprade)

I run all these lights on 2x 16340 IMR (550ma) from AW (35-40 min on strion bulb, 10 hours on LED)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Excellent review and photos, on one of my all-time favorite torches :thumbsup:

By the way, why do you use IMR in your modded A2, instead of (protected) RCR123A ?

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Won't the high voltage of the li-ions kill the light? Can the electronics handle it? And if they can, I figured you'd be overdriving the LEDs and the Incan bulb something fierce.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Won't the high voltage of the li-ions kill the light? Can the electronics handle it? And if they can, I figured you'd be overdriving the LEDs and the Incan bulb something fierce.
The Incan bulb is regulated - and stock LEDS will be slightly overdriven - but the Koala led ring, and possibly the Calipsoli (I'm not sure, I haven't read into it) are fine with the extra voltage

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
The Incan bulb is regulated - and stock LEDS will be slightly overdriven - but the Koala led ring, and possibly the Calipsoli (I'm not sure, I haven't read into it) are fine with the extra voltage

For me it appears to be a moot point. I can't fit my AW RCRs in.

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Excellent review and photos, on one of my all-time favorite torches :thumbsup:

By the way, why do you use IMR in your modded A2, instead of (protected) RCR123A ?

Thanks,

I decide to use IMR, because they Handle better (more runtime) the 1.3a load of the Incan lamp, in comparison with a RCR.
Second reason is that I had a wrapping failure with RCR keeppower, the wrapping got damaged at the bottom of the light, and made a direct short with the voltage sensing tab on the RCR, luckily for me the overload protection of the battery kick in on time, but the batty was really warm, and got discarded.

Less risk and more runtime with IMR on a A2.

el_Pablo

Enlightened

Exactly, both led ring are taking care of the extra voltage, while the Incan regulator handle with no problem the extra voltage.

For me koala ring is a no brainer, you press and get a nice amount of light regulated. Each led driven at 40ma max

Calipsoii ring as the possibilty to use two different color and ramp between different mode with a really good user friendly software. Each led driven at 25-30 ma max.

They are both totally complementary and depends on your preference.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it appears to be a moot point. I can't fit my AW RCRs in.

The protected RCR's usually won't fit, the A2's body specs are fairly tight. The IMR's fit as they are the same size as CR123A's (unlike the fatter RCR's) and are a better choice anyways for the current draw.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never run them low enough to find out. I believe you're not supposed to run IMR's below 2.5V though. I think the A2's lamp is around 4.0V-4.2V or something like that, so by the time the lamp shuts off, the batteries would be pretty dead. Might be an interesting experiment to try out. I might try just running mine on the IMR's and see how long they go. I think the A2's lamp shuts off typically before CR123A's reach 2.8V, IIRC but I think that's more to do with them running out of energy under load than voltage.

el_Pablo

Enlightened
I've never run them low enough to find out. I believe you're not supposed to run IMR's below 2.5V though. I think the A2's lamp is around 4.0V-4.2V or something like that, so by the time the lamp shuts off, the batteries would be pretty dead. Might be an interesting experiment to try out. I might try just running mine on the IMR's and see how long they go. I think the A2's lamp shuts off typically before CR123A's reach 2.8V, IIRC but I think that's more to do with them running out of energy under load than voltage.

For what I remember, it was 2.38v just after the regulation drop (suddenly yellow color and low output).

and after few minutes of resting, they will come back to 2.55-2.6v
on IMR 16340

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been several years since I used an A2 for long enough to kill a set of batteries, but I remember the incan "low" mode, which pretty much means the batteries are finished. Thanks for the info.

archimedes

Flashaholic
For what I remember, it was 2.38v just after the regulation drop (suddenly yellow color and low output).

and after few minutes of resting, they will come back to 2.55-2.6v
on IMR 16340

That's lower than I would want to go .... Thanks for the info.

el_Pablo

Enlightened
That's lower than I would want to go .... Thanks for the info.

I will double check again this week, but if you stop when you drop out of regulation, you still are in the spec for the IMR, back to 2.5-2.6v after few minutes.

the nice thing about it, is that if you have to go below that voltage, and destroy your 6usd cells, you can do it.
it's nice in case of emergency. For what I know, the problems can start if you try to recharge a lower than spec depleted cell. If you know you went too far for emergency situation, you can just discard the cells.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually put shallow discharges on my cells. If you do happen to drain it down to 2.5-2.6v I recommend recharging it again as soon as possible.

mhs

Newly Enlightened
I also have A2 with Calipsoii multimode LED ring, 2 warm white + 1 red. I frosted all LEDs and now the low beam is very floody and smooth. I use RCR123s in it but I never let them deplete to the point incan fall out of regulation. I check voltage often and recharge if it's less than 3,8 V per cell. For backup, I carry 2 lithium 123 primaries and 1 or 2 16650s. Voltage from 1 Li-Ion is not enough to power incan regulator( I get ~30 s regulated runtime), but each 16650 has 2 Ah and using only LEDs gives very long runtime in emergency situation. I had many higher power LED flashlights, but they just can't compete with Aviator's versatility, it's my favorite light too :thumbsup:.