Help me decide: UK4aa led verses Reactor

Raven

Enlightened
I plan to order one today (one for me and a second as a gift), and I can't decide which to buy.

The only other factor is that I might use a battery charger, and I vaguely remember a post warning that Reactors don't perform well with NMHD batteries.

Raven

LightScene

Enlightened
Where do they sell the UK4AA led?
That sounds interesting. They are apparently making a led conversion available for those who have the Xenon 4AA.

The Reactor 3 works fine on rechargeables, and is only slightly longer than the Reactor. I think it's a great light for the money. It's excellent for walking and other every day uses, especially on rechargeables.

Raven

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that it is the 2 cell Reactor that I am considering, because it can use lithiums.

Will the 3 cell version do better with NMHD batteries?

Raven

paulr

Flashaholic
The 2 cell Reactor can pretty much ONLY use lithiums. Even alkalines are awfully weak (too low voltage) in it. Forget rechargeables. But batterystation has the 2 cell reactors for 15 bucks if you really want one.

The 3 cell reactor should be ok with nimh, though not really great.

I've never heard of a UKE 4aa led. Maybe you mean the Streamlight 4aa led, which is a nice light with seven 5mm leds.

Raven

Enlightened
Wow, I must be more tired than I thought. Yes I mean the Streamlight 4aa led. What was I thinking - sorry.

Raven

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
well if you're thinking of getting the original Reactor, like Paul said, it's available from one of the CPF sponsors for $15 on the CPF members-only page..

i just ordered one myself the other day, so soon i'll be seeing how it is.. i know it'll be white, but i'll have to compare lithiums to alkalines.

badabing: http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

paulr

Flashaholic
Actually the 2 cell reactor was notorious for coming with awful led colors (green, purple, etc.).

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2AA Reactor was recently replaced under warranty and the new one is beautifully white. IMHO it is a lithium only light as alkalines just don't have the voltage needed to direct drive the Luxeon. However, it makes extremely good use of lithiums, providing about 25hrs of runtime before dimming to 1/2 the original brightness.

Link's to Roy's runtime plots:
Lithium plot
alkaline plot

JJHitt

Enlightened
If it were me, I'd go with the 4AA... no question what color the light will be and a longer runtime.

The Reactor is smaller, and possibly easier to pocket, but my Reactor (3AA) is disappointingly dim and green.

The SL 4AA is my pick for the over-all best band for the buck light out there.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the Reactor's runtime depends critically on its led's Vf, which has to vary from unit to unit. I'd really skip the Reactor, or anyway get the 3 cell one if you must. Otherwise, spend a little more and get a minimag/sandwich combo or something like that.

2watt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
...it's available from one of the CPF sponsors for $15 on the CPF members-only page..

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do I find the members only page? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif