Give up AA for CR123?

Uncle Alvah

Newly Enlightened
My small flashlight collection is primarily AA lights, and I have a decent stash of rechargeable and Lithium batteries for them.
I need a new EDC light and am considering the Surefire G2x Pro. However that means I'm now looking at having to put together a supply on CR123's.

What might I be gaining or losing if I make this switch from AA to CR 123?

The Surefire AA Outdoorsman is above my budget, and the G2X, at about $70 is pretty near the top of my budget, even a tad over to be honest.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
If $70 is the top of your budget how are you going to afford cr123 batteries?

Foursevens, Fenix, Olight and Nitecore have some nice AA lights if you want to stick with using rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

Uncle Alvah

Newly Enlightened
how are you going to afford cr123 batteries?

Well it would seem I have to educate myself about the cost of the 123's, I really never paid attention....but I'm about to fix that....

if you want to stick with using rechargeable batteries.

Rechargeable CR123's are not available?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't give up on AA lights. Personally I think they are more important than the CR123 types because of the availability of batteries. Doesn't hurt to have both if your interests are there. I don't have any single CR123A lights but have some 18650 rechargeable lights..........single AA's (rechargeable Eneloops) and single 18650 lights are my favorites.

Uncle Alvah

Newly Enlightened
.but I'm about to fix that....

Just aquick peek says about $1.00-$1.50 each.
Hard to make a judgment on that without knowing how long, compared to AA's, they will run, I suppose.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't give up on AA lights yet. The latest emitters (particularly XP-G2) make this format interesting. A 14500 li-ion has the about the same capacity (mAh) has a 16340 li-ion and delivers the same voltage. You need 2xAA primary/Eneloop to reach the voltage of a single CR123 primary. So it is not likely that a light running a single AA primary/Eneloop will have the same output (lumens) as a light running a single CR123. But that single AA light will have useful output. And if the lights can handle li-ions, then you're on the same playing field. This is particularly relevant if you're on a budget. You can get a good AA light that can take 14500 li-ions, run it on primaries/Eneloops for now and save up for good cells and a good charger.

The L3 Illumination L10 (SBFlashlights) is available with the Nichia 219 emitter. A low cost entry to the wonderful world of hi cri. I run mine on an Eneloop, but it also takes li-ion. I don't run it on a li-ion because I don't need that much output and it gets hot fast on H. I mention the L10 but there are many good AA lights out there.

Uncle Alvah

Newly Enlightened
but you should educate yourself on the proper use of Li-ion if you go that route.

Frankly, I need to educate myself on a whole lot of stuff to run with you folks! :help:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What might I be gaining or losing if I make this switch from AA to CR 123?

With lights like the SC52/SC52w out there that give you 280 lumens on a NiMH AA, I'm not too sure that there are any real benefits to going with CR123 batteries. Plus, with most of these AA lights, you also have the ability to go with 14500 batteries for more brightness if you wish (but runtimes are thermally limited on turbo just like CR123 lights). Of course, everyone's opinion may differ. But I look at CR123 batteries as oddball batteries that tend to be costly (unless you order online, which presents problems if you need them NOW) and often impossible to get in small town 'mom and pop' stores. Furthermore, if you tire from spending money on primaries, rechargeable RCR123 batteries don't work on all CR123 lights due to the higher voltage. But, as I said, all of this is based on my own use of lights. Depending on how and where you use yours, they might work out okay. But these days, I don't see CR123 lights as offering alot over 1xAA or 2xAA lights.

Anyway, here's something you might try. Try getting an inexpensive CR123 light and some batteries. See how much you like it and use it compared to AA lights, and go from there.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my lights are a mixture of AA/AAA and just a couple on 123 cells.But as i have found a reasonable source for the odd ball cell going to buy that new Fenix PD12 when it comes available.

I will continue to buy all 3 cell types.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I have bought a couple of 123-powered lights in the past, but they don't get nearly as much use as my AA and AAA and 18650 lights. I don't see any reason to buy another 123 light. They are not the smallest, not the brightest, not the longest runtime...