Quality Replacement Table Lamp Switch - Do They Exist?

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a high quality replacement lamp switch? You know the really crappy cardboard with the really thin brass(?) covering that are installed in about 10 million table lamps across the world. That you can either twist a knob, pull a chain, or push a plastic rod to switch the light on or off? I hate those things, they are so cheap and poorly constructed. They never last. My local Home Depot and OSH don't have anything better, though. Do any of you know of any quality replacement piece so I can stop repairing my lamps every two years?

IMHO, a waste of time and money. Please enlighten me to something better out there.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy replacement units from Leviton and they are the same quality as what was taken out of the lamp. I haven't seen anything better.

Here's my most recent purchase: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT2J3C/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Another choice would be to leave the switch "on" and find some other way to switch the power to the plug on and off.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
I buy replacement units from Leviton and they are the same quality as what was taken out of the lamp. I haven't seen anything better.
Yup, that's exactly what I've been buying all these years and replacing. Like I said, I've tried all the variations of this type of switch, with equally unsatisfactory results.

Paul, your idea of leaving the switch on and plugging it into, say, a timer with its own switch is an interesting one. Probably won't do it, though, it's just not as convenient. I thought about using a remote corded switch like you'd use on your Christmas tree, but that adds more nightstand clutter. I really just need a better drop in switch replacement.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you're in the LA area. Have you checked out Lamp Clinic in San Marino ?

I was looking for a 3-way switch for a old floor lamp I'm fixing for a lady in Pasadena (has three candelabras coming out and a mogul socket in the middle that took a 100-200-300 watt 3-way bulb). Home depot didn't have anything like it but they suggested I visit that store.

(ended up finding the switch I needed at Osh though)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
There are a couple other options that I really like and one of them is to simply remove the mechanical switch and change it to a contact switch allowing you to select three levels of brightness just by touching any metal part of the lamp.

Another is a tiny switch which sticks out much like the sliding switch that clicks on when pushed one way and off when pushed back through. The one I'm referring to actually feels like the old familiar click switches, but is turned and has a rotational activation.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
Well, I called the Lamp Clinic. They said a quality replacement switch does not exist. In fact, they told me they didn't even know of a switch that they felt would last for 5 - 10 years. Which to me is a joke. I just bought a 1955 Lionel Train that worked perfectly, smoke and lamp included, even though it is almost 60 years old and had pretty much no maintenance and is a much more complicated machine than a lamp switch.