Anyone heard of ALT LED (Aeon Lighting Technology)

Sharkbiteattack

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm new here. Was looking for a good lighting forum and I've stumbled across this community before when comparing NiMH battery cells. Anyhow, I had a salesman give me a sample 10W LED bulb. Looks pretty good but up until now I've never heard of the company. He says you won't see there products at home improvement stores because these lights are built to commercial standards. I've currently got the bulb in a 277V fixture that normally uses a 100W MH lamp and it seems to be working pretty good. What really interested me most is that he gave me a presentation where he compared the bulb to a Philips Endura bulb and prove that his is superior. Now I'm a little skeptical, I consider Philps (and Cree) the leader in LED technology, esp since it was Philips that won the L prize.

Here's the rest of the comparison in crappy quality. (Don't know how to upload a PDF) What do you guys think? His product seem legit or he just blowin smoke?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vsgOOwLpKgT0cyNWhCRm0zN0U/edit?usp=sharing

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've currently got the bulb in a 277V fixture
The bulb is rated 100-240V. At 277V you are running it outside spec. Don't do that. LED bulbs are not as rugged as other types when you abuse it like that.

"LED chip Cree V6(MTG)"
They are using Cree LEDs.
They are using a generic LED bulb case and sticking Cree LEDs in it. I have seen bulbs looking just like that all over the place.

The CE in the certifications indicate the manufacturer is not aware that CE (230VAC/50Hz grid) is not recognized in the US or Canada (115VAC/60HZ grid).
The CE by itself is a major red flag it is a Chinese manufacturer who assume their 230VAC/50Hz thingys will work in a 115VAC/60HZ grid. (They do not have the right power over there to test.)
These guys realize they have to meet North American standards to sell large scale and are also getting FCC, ETL (the poor man's UL), and energy star. The (on-going) indicates they have not got all the certifications yet.
There is FCC class A for industrial environments (more noisy, may interfere with radio and TV reception) and class B for residential environments. The salesman claim the bulb is for industrial environments so the FCC could mean the less stringent class A. Or not.

This bulb is more directional than the Philips. If you watch the following video you can see how different LED bulbs perform. Your bulb is much like the Philips #2. Notice how the Philips #2 (your bulb equivalent) works much better than the Philips #1 in some fixtures and the opposite in others. Choose the right bulb for the application and in some cases you can go down to 1/3 the wattage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1DuVDD8Nmc

The bulb come in 2800°K warm white, 4200°K neutral white, and 6000°K COLD white.
Most cool white bulbs are 5000°K. 6000°K is almost blue like the early 5mm LEDs from over 10 years ago.

The specs look OK but I would not trust a salesman that would let you put a 240V max bulb in a 277V socket.

Last edited:

udit

Newly Enlightened
I think they should mention dimming performance or price.They say the Philips globe is 110V only. In fact there is also a 240V version. Philips also have 10W L-Prize globe.

SemiMan

Banned
At the end of the day, a universal input voltage for an A19 bulb makes sense only if you are trying to peddle a bulb into different markets and don't have the volume to justify a single voltage design. The reality is that single voltage designs are in general superior for the voltage they are designed for versus universal inputs.

For the record, neither of these is remotely a replacement or 100W MH. You were not intending that are you?

That BS claim of "these are designed to commercial standards" is pretty much crap. I have taken that Philips bulb apart and know it has some pretty high temp caps in it ... and guessing their bulb does not. Claiming the Philips will not last 4K hours is crap considering they did 6K hours of testing for EnergyStar.

The Philips bulb is a remote phosphor design with Rebel blue leds. Rebel blues have no issues running for very long periods of time at 90 or 100C without any degradation. The remote phosphor design will maintain its color point accuracy longer.

The Philips bulb is 800 lumens. If they only got 720 in their testing chamber, that tells me they do not know how to use their chamber. Philips does not have that much variance in their manufacturing especially considering they have 100% test.

UL was happy with the tape by the way.

I don't consider ETL to be a poor man's UL. UL is a beurocratic pain ... hence why they cost more, not that they do a better or more complete job.

Semiman

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
UL, ETL, CSA and a few other labs test to the same standards. So they are all equal. But it seems to me all the big manufacturers use UL which is better known. The manufacturers of less expensive appliances tend to gravitate towards ETL.

I suspect ETL only tested it for North American residential (100-130V/60Hz) and CE tested it for the rest of the world residential (230V±10%/50Hz) and nobody tested it for the 480/277V industrial voltage.