• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cleaning help

Robe

Enlightened
So I've had some custom finishing done to my haiku and when I reassembled it I got the inside reflector a bit dirty. By a bit I mean if I turn it on and look inside, I can see some smudging and a few dust particles.

Performance is unhindered. If I was feeling adventurous: how does one actually clean the internals?

glowbug123

Newly Enlightened
You will not get the smudges off unfortunately. Be very careful of suggestions. I know of none after doing extensive research that will work successfully. anything you use to clean it will ruin it. if you touch it you will make it worse and/or ruin it. the dust you can use canned air or a compressor to carefully blow it off. I have ruined 2 refelctors trying all the suggestions they dont work period!!!
Maybe you can get a replacement? even if it costs you will be better off than a ruined reflector. or leave it alone and live with it

What kind of lens have you ruined? I have had good luck with a lens polishing cloth (dry) on aluminum reflectors. I don't know why it would ruin the finish.

[edit] OK, I see that some have scratched their reflectors that way. YMMV.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The only thing thing I can tell you, and this is at your own risk, is the swabs to clean DSLR CCD sensors. These sensors are very, very delicate. Other than that just send it to get a new reflector installed, or order a new reflector and drop it in yourself.

B&H in NYC is a good place to start. I have a darkroom air compressor that has pure filtered air, these are a must for cleaning reflectors, do not use the auto grade ones as they send particles that can chip your reflector. It may be hard to find a darkroom compressor as, well, dark rooms are gone.

Hope this helps.

NR

PS.....Sometimes I have had to rinse camera gear under running water, take the reflector and run it under warm water, no soap. That may help somewhat. Do not, whatever you do, touch the reflector.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not get the smudges off unfortunately. Be very careful of suggestions. I know of none after doing extensive research that will work successfully. anything you use to clean it will ruin it. if you touch it you will make it worse and/or ruin it. the dust you can use canned air or a compressor to carefully blow it off. I have ruined 2 refelctors trying all the suggestions they dont work period!!!
Maybe you can get a replacement? even if it costs you will be better off than a ruined reflector. or leave it alone and live with it

I have to agree with what you say,my advice would be leave well alone.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could call Samy's Camera in LA, bet they have a ton of old dark room stuff that has not been sold to the third world.

A nice darkroom compressor was used to blow off Negs before they went in the enlarger. You know back in the Stone Age, 9 years ago. But they are a great asset for cleaning CCDs on out DSLRs.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could call Samy's Camera in LA, bet they have a ton of old dark room stuff that has not been sold to the third world.

A nice darkroom compressor was used to blow off Negs before they went in the enlarger. You know back in the Stone Age, 9 years ago. But they are a great asset for cleaning CCDs on out DSLRs.

Not familiar with a dark room compressor,does a certain amount of water get created in its use like a normal compressor.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Water has never built up in mine, but water is not a problem for the old negs, trust me canned air is or can be a disaster.

On an automotive comp. you can drain the tank of air. The dark room compressors may not have been available in the UK, when I have gone there the past 19 years, every photographer wanted to buy my top of the line Nikon cameras since they were hard to find. And I have family there and was married in St. Andrews.

Really I don't clean them myself, I have a hot Latina wife who does it for me in a bikini and platforms, by the pool. Send your lights here and she will clean the for you, no charge!

Just trying to help, Holmes!

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old yet relevant, CCDs are more delicate than a reflector, use the tools to clean CCDs and be very careful, very careful, and you should be fine.