Pics of your bullet proof watch

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
6000_lg.jpg

This is not mine, however mine is the chronometer that Is certified, It has a blue dial. Toughest watch I have ever owned. Wear it 24/7 have only had one problem with a link partially breaking and they are covering it under warantee 6 years after I bought it!!!!

Here is a represenative shot of my watch.

74_1.JPG

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heuer 6000 is a great watch, but the bracelet is the weak link on it. I have seen plenty of them where the links stretch. Otherwise it is really a nice well made watch

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
madecov-- you sound like you speak from expienence, Do you have a 6000? Do you know how many people have had trouble with the links on them? Mine just broke that link up near the bottom bezel last week. My jewler said that he has had 2-3 of them come back with the same problem.

Frangible

Enlightened
L-3602.jpg

Bulletproof? Ti-6Al-4V that is able to defeat rifle fire from 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm has an areal density of 36kg/m^2. I have no idea what the areal density of the Luminox is.

Can anyone calculate the thickness of titanium that would be required for material with that areal density? I can compare it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas

Banned
The most bullet-proof watch I ever had was all solid bronze with no moving parts.

It was a small sundial, about an inch and a quarter across, on a wrist strap that my wife got me. It wasn't much use at night or during heavy overcast, but otherwise it worked great as long as you knew where north was. No batteries, no winding, nothing to break, probably ACTUALLY bullet-proof ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife has a complex brass astrolab pendant that's pretty neat, too, but I doubt it'd anywhere near bullet-proof ...

T_sig6.gif

(I know my old stainless steel Omega Chronostop wasn't bullet-proof - it took a 7.62 into the back of the case, and there wasn't much left to fix - fortunately I wasn't wearing it at the time.)

Cones

Enlightened
How about this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

113_1341.JPG

PRS2 Dreadnought Number 24 of only 200
Purchase Price :- $720 / £450
Size:- The bezel is 44 mm ø, 54mm lug to lug and 15.6mm thick to the top of the crystal.
Lug spacing is 22 mm.
Weight :- 265g (Watch head is approx 140g)
Movement:- ETA2824-2T (Top) with decoration and chronometer rated to DIN standard
Case Material:- 316L Stainless Steel
Bracelet Material:- 316L Stainless Steel
lens Material:- Domed Sapphire Crystal with anti reflective coating on the underside
Dial Markings :- Super Luminova
Depth Rating:- 500m
Anti Magnetic :- 30000 A/m

Mark

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
worked in a watch shop for 3 years, we purchased pre owned watches all the time. probably 75%-80% of the heuer 6000's we purchased had stretched bracelets or broken links. Otherwise I think it's a really nice watch

Frangible

Enlightened
Bad news, it looks like my Luminox isn't bulletproof after all.

Ti-6Al-4V has a density of 4.5/cm^3, and the areal density of an armor plate capable of stopping NIJ IIIA handgun threats is 7kg/m^2. Thus, such a plate would be 3.15 cm thick. Or about 1.5 cm thick for NIJ IIA. (to stop .308 win, the plate would be 16.2 cm thick!)

Unfortunately though, the watch is for the most part, only about 0.5 cm thick.

For this reason, we can conclude that the Luminox titanium is not, in fact, bulletproof. It might stop a .22 LR or something, but that'd be pushing it.

Skyline

Enlightened
Not an actual pic of my watch, but this is my current EDC. It managed to displace my Citizen EcoDrive World Timer that I had worn for the previous 4 years.

Casio MTG900DA-8V

MTG900DA-8V_a_300x362.jpg

Skyline

Enlightened
It's a fairly large watch, and I have relatively small wrists too (I think I had to remove 5 links from the bracelet!). Most of my friends who have seen it love it, but don't really dare wear it. LOL. I'm used to it and don't find it awkward at all. It even fits under most of my shirt sleeves that I wear for work.

It's smaller than my other GShock with a one-piece nylon/resin band.

Lara

Newly Enlightened
luminox.jpg

Luminox Ladies Titanium. Goes everywhere with me, just as the M2 does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

M

MeridianTactical

Here is mine, Every day wear and tons of abuse for the past 5+ years...

rolex.jpg

hideo

Enlightened
nice to see these--sort of what I was hoping for in the "ensembles" thread I posted to Chat awhile back, but guess it was a little too feminine of a header

my BP watch is not as toney as some of the above, but ...

fa4864bc.jpg

Swiss Army watch, Cold Steel Bushman and a Space Needle 2--if this were in the "ensembles" thread, it would be probably be "Night on the Town in Mogadishu"

hideo

Deanster

Enlightened
Frangible - are you sure of those figures? 3.5cm of titanium to stop a IIIA level handgun bullet seems like an awful lot, and 16cm for .308 also seems like a lot. Standard 1" Steel armor will turn away a NATO 7.62 round (non-AP), and the steel used in plate shoots is well under 1" thick - it's mostly polished by handgun rounds, only 10mm and other very hot rounds will dent it.

I also remember seeing a picture of the Titanium 'bathtub' that pilots of the A-10 Warthog sit in, and it looked around 1" thick, and was supposed to defeat 23mm AAA rounds, and perhaps even 37mm rounds, if I remember correctly.

I'll take a quick look around, as I know nothing of titanium's characteristics, but the figures you're quoting seem high.

Deanster

Enlightened
OK, a quick search says that the 'bathtub' is 1.5" thick, and will resist a direct hit from a Russian 23mm Armor-piercing round, or a 37mm HE round.

Frangible

Enlightened
Deanster,

I pulled the areal density figures off a page selling titanium armor for military applications. From there I computed the thickness. It's possible my calculations may have been in error, but I'd suspect the original areal densities were correct.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Here it's mine bullet proof watch.
Titanium, automatic 48 hours, 650 ft waterproof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, I use it only in my bath /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bellross.jpg