Flashlight for security.

Baltothewolf

Newly Enlightened
I work for security at a giant warehouse, and I have to walk a 1/2-3/4 mile fenceline 4-6 times a day (good exercise I love it). I'm using a Torch from wicked lasers and tbh it's doesn't do what I thought it would, it doesn't quite throw enough, and has to much flood (I often blind truck drivers and the yard jockeys). I need something that's 8k+ lumen with 30-45 mins of battery life if that's even possible, and adjustable would be great as well. My budget is somewhere between 150-200$. I will be using this for other things as well like hiking at night in the mountains etc etc. I also need it to be about the size of a mag-light. I hope that's enough info. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure you mean 8,000+ Lumens? That is really hefty. Perhaps if you gave the model of light you are using now, then your improvements (more throw, less flood) can be taken in perspective.

EDIT - Oh, it looks like you mean the "Torch" - which is a model from wicked lasers. 100w halogen!

Last edited:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you need 8k lumens, or do you need lotsa light down range? 500 focused lumens can be more useful than 5,000 lumens of flood if you want to see things far away.

If you like a Maglite sized light, there's quite a few lights that will give you what you need for checking fence lines.

For your budget I'd look at a 4D Maglite (needs a D in the serial number, DL won't work), buy a Malkoff XM-L drop in and get some quality D sized ni-mh batteries and a smart charger. Should be able to all that for $200, or I might recommend the Fenix TK60 as a Maglite sized powerful flashlight, costs around $120 and again, get some ni-mh cells and a charger and you're good to go.

There's also plenty of lights smaller than a 3D Maglite that will run close to 1,000 lumens for a couple of hours with lower modes to extend runtimes. There's quite a lot of choice out there if you know what you want.

If you almost double your budget then you open up yourself to some really bright lights that throw a long way - Olight SR series, Fenix RC40 off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Baltothewolf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, allow me to clarify a little more.

@schiz, Yes I mean 8k+ lumens, I'm looking for something that I can focus in on a smaller beam if needed, then a extremely wide beam when I'm walking in the more brushy areas, there are some areas I walk in when it's completely pitch black, so I want to light up the entire area as that place has been robbed before so just incase it happens again, I want to be able to blind any attackers/see them from far off (they took over 200k in printers lol).

@Jash, I am not a rich man at all (I only make 9.75 an hour) so I really need it 200$ max. I'm not experienced whatsoever with modding flashlights so that's out of the question unless there is a visual walkthrough on how to do it.

I know it sounds like overkill for what I want, but I will be using it for other things that I need lots of throw on (Like hiking) and then some other things that I need a more focused beam (like seeing far ahead).

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, allow me to clarify a little more.

@schiz, Yes I mean 8k+ lumens, I'm looking for something that I can focus in on a smaller beam if needed, then a extremely wide beam when I'm walking in the more brushy areas, there are some areas I walk in when it's completely pitch black, so I want to light up the entire area as that place has been robbed before so just incase it happens again, I want to be able to blind any attackers/see them from far off (they took over 200k in printers lol).

8000 lumens is not a flashlight. Thats a LARGE searchlight or area light. Neither are hand held devices (unless you think this is hand held: Pelican 9460 Remote Area Lighting System
If it's pitch black, you do not need too much lumens, your eyes adapts to the darkness. If you put a 8000 lumens light on in total darkness you can blind your self even when you are not looking at the light.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I work for security at a giant warehouse, and I have to walk a 1/2-3/4 mile fenceline 4-6 times a day (good exercise I love it). I'm using a Torch from wicked lasers and tbh it's doesn't do what I thought it would, it doesn't quite throw enough, and has to much flood (I often blind truck drivers and the yard jockeys). I need something that's 8k+ lumen with 30-45 mins of battery life if that's even possible, and adjustable would be great as well. My budget is somewhere between 150-200$. I will be using this for other things as well like hiking at night in the mountains etc etc. I also need it to be about the size of a mag-light. I hope that's enough info. Any help would be appreciated.

To get that out put, for that run time, would require lot of power, and, space to store all that energy. You also describe using the light as both a flood and a search light....which means it either has an in efficient defocusable head or a zoom lens.

You say the current torch doesn't throw far enough, AND that its too floody...

And you describe your potential patrol as having a potential ~ 1/2 to 3/4 mile sight line. That's a roughly 800 - 1,300 meter range.

To resolve a guy who doesn't want to be seen from a low contrast back ground, at those ranges, you need a very high cd....beyond what a hand held flashlight can do.

If you were OK with a beam that could resolve that level of detail at say 200 meters or so, that's more in your budget and specs.

About the lumens...you, so far, indicate the prior torch may have had TOO MUCH. IE: It was too floody, with too little range. What it needed was to either take the lumens it DID make, and concentrate them into a tighter beam so as to not blind your buddies with wasted flood, in addition TO BLINDING the guys making off with the printers, etc.

IE: You can't afford 8k lumens that also has the throw you want.

For your budget, it sounds like a practical alternative might be something like one of Vinh's K40vn or TN31vn, which would get a lot of light down range, and allow you to focus it onto the points needed. Those lights get you ~ 400 -500 k cd, which is going to get you ~ 10 - 12 lux on something ~ 200 meters away.

For perspective, when calibrating a night shooting scenario, a shooter with an illuminated scope might need ~ 1-5 lux on target to be able to aim, depending on their night vision adaptation level. That light level lets you see a guy in a white shirt at that range...but not a dark shirt. You start to need ~ 10 -15 lux on a target at that range to resolve low contrast features.

So, you should not look at lights with under ~ 400,000 cd. (400 k cd), with more being better. Forget about it being adjustable, as that blows the budget as well as typically the water resistance and durability too.

Drop the lumen spec, as its not what you want as much as cd.

Baltothewolf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all the help, I'm very ignorant when it comes to flashlights so lets just drop the 8k lumen thing then, lets just start with suggestions on what YOU guys would personally use in a scenario like this. Also I don't think I mentioned but it must be rechargeable.

Oh and TEEJ, it's not that much range, I think the biggest spot where trailers aren't blocking the fenceline (not to mention it's curved) is around 150m or so. So a flashlight that gives me good detail at 200m is perfectly acceptable (like you said).

Last edited:

Baltothewolf

Newly Enlightened
My co-worker has a streamlight 74301 and I really like it, I love the throw it has, plus it has 3 power settings, it's just not bright enough.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Lots of lumens, good throw, not a mod, good runtime, robust build, less than $200.

I would go with a Mag-Charger. The LED model is 680 lumens. It also has a low mode for up close lighting. Plus you can get the belt holster for it. You won't have to change out batteries, and you can recharge it from a wall outlet or with the car charger. This light is pretty much designed for police and security work. The Halogen model throws just a bit further, but I'm not sure it it would be noticeable.

BTW, I would also carry a back up light. It never hurts to have one in case the primary malfunctions, or is dropped and not reachable at the moment.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
OK, so that means you want ~ 400,000 cd.

A Mag Charger, while it claims a 417 meter range, is claiming it as per ANSI specs, the same way all the manufacturers do...meaning, the range it can reach 0.25 lux at. That's a ~ 44 k cd.

If a guy is trying to hide, because he sees someone approaching/scanning with a flashlight...and, you at least have a line of sight that would have worked in daylight, etc...you need enough light to resolve him from where he's trying to not be seen.

So, at 200 meters, with 400 k cd, you'd get ~ 10 lux....JUST enough to resolve a hiding guy. (15 lux woud be better, but, out of budget)

With a claimed 417 meter range, at 200 meters, you'd get only ~ 1 lux, ~ ten times dimmer, and not enough to resolve a hidden/hiding person at that range.

So, again, you are looking for a 400 k cd or higher light.

(Plan B - Get closer)

:D

Diesel Pro

Newly Enlightened
While far from your specs the first light that comes to mind for security would be this:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...5-ThruNite-TN32-REVIEW-Pictures-amp-Beamshots

Thanks guys for all the help, I'm very ignorant when it comes to flashlights so lets just drop the 8k lumen thing then, lets just start with suggestions on what YOU guys would personally use in a scenario like this. Also I don't think I mentioned but it must be rechargeable.

Oh and TEEJ, it's not that much range, I think the biggest spot where trailers aren't blocking the fenceline (not to mention it's curved) is around 150m or so. So a flashlight that gives me good detail at 200m is perfectly acceptable (like you said).

Look at some of the beam shots in the review that I linked

Baltothewolf

Newly Enlightened
Yea Diesel I like that TN32 a lot. I'm still looking though as I won't have the money until I sell this god-forsaken Torch.

Does the TN32 come with batteries? I'm also eyeing the TK75 as well.

Love n Light

Newly Enlightened
I'm a security officer and received my TN32 today . I love this light . I was also thinking of TK75 but after watching videos I thought TN32 was most bang for the buck . It has 240,000 candela , throws over 900 m and is $179 . I ordered it charger and 3 batteries for it from illuminationsupply.com enter CPFUser as discount code for 5% off . It comes with a holster that fits on duty belt . It lit up everything I pointed it at tonight as I walked around building .
Level 3 brightness is good , reflection from window almost blinded me ( I wanted this effect to stun an aggressor if needed ) . Level 6 bright is obscene bright that would def disorient an.attacker .
You will love this light .

sybaris

Newly Enlightened
Just curious but if you are waling a 1/2-3/4 mile fenceline 4-6 times a day, with a long range bright light, won't those pesky robbers see you and wait for you to get to the other end?
Maybe you need night vision instead?