• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SunDrop XR-U as EDC?

d.2.the.p

Newly Enlightened
I get that the Haiku is designed to be a great all purpose light (THE great all purpose light from my understanding), but I'm rather intrigued by the concept of the SunDrop XR-U. It just seems quite different when compared to the lights I already have, so I'm considering pulling the trigger. I'm a city dweller, so I feel like it might work well for me since the majority of my lighted tasks are close- to mid-range. However, how do you owners feel about it?

If I do go this route, any suggestions on LE? My initial inclination is to go HiCRI, but it would stand to reason that an XP-G2 would add some additional throw over a HiCRI Nichia. This may be potentially welcome given the nature of the SunDrop's beam. Does anyone have experience with both/either LE in this configuration? How's the tint on the XP-G2's that Don uses?

Thank you ahead of time for any and all input. It is greatly appreciated.

LATimber

Newly Enlightened
I just recently purchased a Sun Drop XR-U from Don. He told me that at the current time he was carrying an XM-L version himself so that is what I ordered. I have been very happy with the decision. It provides excellent up close lighting without a hot spot. It will light up a dark room, but if there is a lot of ambient light it does not throw across a room. I absolutely love the light.

I get that the Haiku is designed to be a great all purpose light (THE great all purpose light from my understanding), but I'm rather intrigued by the concept of the SunDrop XR-U. It just seems quite different when compared to the lights I already have, so I'm considering pulling the trigger. I'm a city dweller, so I feel like it might work well for me since the majority of my lighted tasks are close- to mid-range. However, how do you owners feel about it?

If I do go this route, any suggestions on LE? My initial inclination is to go HiCRI, but it would stand to reason that an XP-G2 would add some additional throw over a HiCRI Nichia. This may be potentially welcome given the nature of the SunDrop's beam. Does anyone have experience with both/either LE in this configuration? How's the tint on the XP-G2's that Don uses?

Thank you ahead of time for any and all input. It is greatly appreciated.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It provides excellent up close lighting without a hot spot. It will light up a dark room, but if there is a lot of ambient light it does not throw across a room. I absolutely love the light.

I picked up a SunDrop XRU recently for my EDC rotation. I made this choice for the reason stated above too. I do a lot of close up work during the day and the beam provided by the XRU is perfect for what I need.

jkid1911

Enlightened
I think the Sundrop is a great EDC but does anyone know how to tell which LED is in a Sundrop from looking at it?

Dknight16

Newly Enlightened
I have a Haiku, a Mule, and a Sundrop XRU. The Sundrop has emerged as my clear EDC choice throughout the work week. The focused flood is great for almost all of my EDC situations (close range and primarily indoors). I found the Mule to be too floody for macro work such as looking down small diameter holes in parts at work. The Haiku would work pretty well during my work week too, but the extra length for the reflector is unnecessary at those close ranges - so I carry it on the weekends when my needs are more varied.

Edit: My Sundrop has the XM-L2 emitter and the 4 speed Hive converter. Seriously awesome light.

Last note: The center of the beam of the XM-L2 is cooler than the outer half. So if you are looking for a more uniform beam, this emitter might not be the one for you. On the other hand, it's more than 300 lumens on high . . . so that is a worthy trade off for me.

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on the XR-U is a compromise in optical quality because the right optics in sapphire were not possible. So Don went with sapphire while sacrificing some aspects of the beam.

I was always distracted by the fact that the brightest part of the beam was actually the outermost ring.

I have been seriously considering what my next McGizmo will be, as I must dip into this new HIVE converter offering. I love this as it really brings Don's lights back near the cutting edge internally. Not that his 3s converters aren't swell, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, the XR-U is again attracting my attention. I know I tried this once, but I want to use/try more than one LED in there (as I have many LE's of my own and Dati-LED's making) again and see if there is an LED that can be placed behind that spherical lens to minimise these beam anomolies.

It's a great idea, and if the optics were improved to make a 100% smooth beam pattern, this would be my all time favorite light.

obi

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Just ordered a xru 119v HIVE. I've found situations where the mule is too floody, but flood is still what I want. Hopefully this will fill the niche.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just ordered a xru 119v HIVE. I've found situations where the mule is too floody, but flood is still what I want. Hopefully this will fill the niche.
I think you'll be very happy :D

I personally prefer the SD (XR-U) among the McGizmo options for EDC, over the Mule, and even the Haiku.

I do tend to need light at shorter ranges more often for routine day-to-day use.

For reaching out a bit more, well, an AquaRam or Makai may not be too far away ... ;)

EDIT - I'd be interested to hear how you decide to set up the HiVe-LD, after you have a chance to try it out.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I think you'll be very happy :D

I personally prefer the SD (XR-U) among the McGizmo options for EDC, over the Mule, and even the Haiku.

I do tend to need light at shorter ranges more often for routine day-to-day use.

For reaching out a bit more, well, an AquaRam or Makai may not be too far away ... ;)

EDIT - I'd be interested to hear how you decide to set up the HiVe-LD, after you have a chance to try it out.

Glad to hear that Don, as we have the same tastes for the most part. I asked Don to close the jumper, but the factory levels sound pretty good. I may drop level two a bit though.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
This puts out wonderful light that all goes right in front of you for a short distance. A high quality of light right in front of you. Great for so many things and a wonderful EDC.

If I carry my Mule of Sun Drop, I still have a Haiku with me.