New Gun Shoots Around Corners

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/afp/20031215/cornershot.html

"Dec. 16, 2003 — A new weapons system was unveiled Monday in Israel that enables armed forces to fire guns around corners and could revolutionize urban warfare around the world.

The patented "Corner Shot" provides protection to the soldier by enabling shooting down a street, through a window or a door frame with maximum accuracy while keeping out of the line of fire."

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did't they have one of these in WW1 or WW2 - a rifle designed for trench warfare with a barrel bent left about 30 deg and a mirror as an aiming device at the bend of the barrel??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Found this:

"In 1916, Jones Wister tried to revolutionise trench warfare by inventing a rifle for shooting around corners."

GrayFox

Newly Enlightened
I guess you could say that this shoots around corners...I understand it actually is fairly accurate.
FWB2twist2-vi.jpg

It is an air pistol built by FWB.

Jerry

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
In WW2 the US had a 45 cal sub-machine gun that had a screw on barrel. There was a curved barrel for it...wasn't accurate and got pretty hot. It wasn't the Thompson but one that was made from stamped sheet metal...had a wire stock.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
Yes, this Idea has been around a long time.

But the bigest problem is that you had to carry more than one rifle, a normal one and one to just shoot around corners.

All this is stock to hold a Glock 17 or FN 5.7 Pistol that folds left or right with a video camera, laser sight and a small display
Corner-Shot-4.jpg

This is more a SWAT tool than anything else.

Corner Shot® Link 1
Corner Shot® Link 2

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
guncollector said:
Give me the OICW or OCSW (crew-served version of the OICW) any day of the week to "shoot around corners".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want that crap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Just give me a M82a1 or M2HB to "shoot through corners" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guncollector

Enlightened
That's not a "shooter-througher".............................................. this is a "shooter-througher"...

m61a1-vulcan.jpg

vulcan.jpg

GE Vulcan 20mm Mini-Gun
6-barrel gattling
6000 rounds/minute

Throw in about 1000 rounds of M53 Armor-Piercing Incindiery Rounds for good measure

Chengiz

Enlightened
In WWII the Wermacht (probably the SS also) used a modified MG42 with a bent barrel to shoot around obstacles in street to street fighting.

My father told me he had tested it at the end of the war. If the barrel heated to a certain point, the bullets started carving their way out. This is because the MG42 has an adjustable cyclic rate of 1100 to 1500 rounds a minute.

I don't think it would have been very effective to keep the gun out of action to allow the barrel to cool or to keep rotating barrels every few hundred rounds or so.

I can't imagine this system is intended for open street warfare, but possibly for interior "barricaded subject" situations.