A pretty direct direct drive or correct me please!

Wylie

Enlightened
I've been looking at these Qj4 bin that Wayne Y has and I have been think just what kind if resistance would be needed here for a direct drive system on a 123 cell battery. Mabe I missed something or what's up?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Wylie, but CPF definition, direct drive means no resistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. You won't be able to DD this with a 123. You will need 4.5V but give it good heatsinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
I run resistors below the rating for fun, play this and you could have some real fun!
Electrolumens may be able to vouche for this as I had some hot five mm LEDs I showed him. I did burn a few of them up because they were unbalanced.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you *can* dd it on a 123, but you will be underdriving it.

2-123 dd is too much, and you'd need some resistance to protect the led.

HunterSon

Enlightened
Try it and see, it will look pretty dim for a Q4J at 3v. I have a couple of Q3J's and a SV1J and at 3v they look pretty sad. Hit 'em with 4.5 and cover your eyes!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
j is a fairly low vf, but if going on a 123, i wouldn't use anything higher than an h.

even then you won't get optimal brightness, but you'll get a killer small light and cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AilSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have some q4h batwings from the shoppe that are useful dd'ing on an 123. they need at least 3.12v to suck 400ma.