• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Trit Vials added to Mule and Sun Drop

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I added two tritium vials to the face of my Mule they are green and are 2 X 6mm.

On the Sun Drop, mine has a red LED, and I added two 2 X 6mm red Trit. vials along side the led!

They are amazing, as all Trit. vials are. They are nice and bright and can locate the lights at night.

Something very cool you can do to these lights.

Best wishes,

NR

Last edited:

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can provide my install.
I'll really curious how it looks in the sundrop.
It is quite bright and is very easy to spot at night.
The white vials are an awesome firefly mode!
u6aja5ub.jpg

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the photo of your mule.

The Sun Drop LED has an elevated pill, again this is a Red LED, and the vials are glued up against the sides of the pill's platform where the LED rests. The Mule looks totally different.

Mine are 6 X 2mm and are the exact length as the pill area the LED is on top of. They are much shorter than the ones you have pictured which look to me like 11mm? The Red Trit. vials are not nearly as bright as the Green, however at night or in a dark room with very little light they do glow a very nice red, and you can easily locate the light once your eyes are adjusted to the conditions. I was aware they were not as bright as the green, white or even the yellow vials., if there is some ambient light in the room like a single 60-75 Watt bulb on they appear to glow as pink in the shadows, but I wanted red simply because the LED is red. In the dark they look great for a change from green and ice blue. In bright light you don't even notice them on the Sun Drop.

I like the size you installed on your Mule. On my Mule I used 6 X 2mm there as well, only green. Overall I like the green best.

Photos... I have been taking photos for three days.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I hesitate, in the shadow of the skills honed over years of practicing his craft, to post this in Mr. Redway's thread. There seemed to be some interest, so maybe this will hold the faithful over until Ned comes along and schools me... :) A tritted Sundrop with some friends.

bdefd921-84e6-4109-bbba-fd69a4aebe09.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
Yoyoman- 1.55x5's from Bart. Same size as in the bezel and piston pictured, slightly magnified by the Sundrop optic.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had time AND trits. First attempt was a total fail - too far from the emitter. This attempt isn't pretty, but it works. Not too dark yet to see how it works. But dark enough for a quick picture.

image.jpg

XR-U with Nichia 219 light engine.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Those look good in there... XR-U? Mine was an original 083B Sundrop 3s, so the trits rest right up against the emitter...

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hesitate, in the shadow of the skills honed over years of practicing his craft, to post this in Mr. Redway's thread. There seemed to be some interest, so maybe this will hold the faithful over until Ned comes along and schools me... :) A tritted Sundrop with some friends.

bdefd921-84e6-4109-bbba-fd69a4aebe09.jpg
Thanks, Scout! That is a great photo, I just work so much that flashlights are a break from camera work. Plus, I could not shoot that any better photo than that!

Mine looks like that, except with red vials. I almost like the green better. These lights were almost made for adding these vials, which the green can almost act as a nightlight.

Last edited:

LupinIII

Enlightened
Not a huge fan of trits but always found GITD tape around the emitter to be a nice touch - the trit setups here though are awesome. Really like yours Eric242.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
After seeing the work of others, I am ordering more vials, and will install two more on my Mule!

I can fit two more in there.

Also, I did not use the Norland. Instead I used industrial silicone glue and put a small, thin line on the bottom of the vial with a pin.

Silicone resists vibrations, and the glue is on the bottom, not visible.

The Norland is necessary for some applications, however, it is not simple to use. There are so many wonderful adhesives today, and I chose silicone for this install. It is also removable completely from the surface if I decide to remove the vial.
there is no question it will hold the small vial, as I have dropped the Mule on the Italian tile floor in our desert home, no problems!

The Norland is perfect for many applications, and other adhesives will work fine, as well.

I tested many glues with paper clips cut to the size of Trit vials using a micrometer on a piece of sheet glass, and silicone was crystal clear, so was Elmer's. Once they set, they were hard to remove from the sheet of glass I used for my testing.

Dont be afraid to glue them in place using nail Polish, silicone, or household glue, they are so small it is no problem. Use Norland in the slots, and experiment with everything else.

Best wishes,

NR

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will be ordering more Trit. Vials to see where I can install them. Also, I have a dozen lights with Malkoff drop in's, and the front lip on the face of them is perfect for vials. I can put 2, 4, 8 or more on the front of them on the lip which is exposed.

Sorry to drift in the Malkoff range here. It is the vials are so cool, they can go anywhere!!

Any other ideas, please...

All the best,

NR