Drift Light: Self Dimming LED Bulb

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
The rise of smart-bulbs. With the LED emitter array having a good life these bulbs change from being consumer disposable to consumer durable goods. This means that it's rational to stuff the base full of micro-processor goodness.... this bulbs claim to fame is that it can go into a dimming pattern... helpful I presume for children who want the light to stay on at bedtime and for parents who just want to get to bed and not have to wake up to snap the light off!

Review at the link:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
The concept of a "smart bulb" has been done before but this is the first time I've seen it employed in an LED product.

Many years ago, there was a company called Beacon Technologies who made devices sold as The Bulb Boss. It was a disc-shaped object you stuck to base of a light bulb before screwing it into the socket. You would activate or override the functions by power-cycling the light switch on/off/on. Functions included:

Auto Off timer: Turn light on. After a preset time (10 or 30 minute models) the light would turn off. One minute before the light turns off, it would flash to warn you that you're at the last minute before going dark. Power-cycle to reset

Dimmer: Light turns on at full brightness. Cycle the switch off/on to go to the next lower level (4 levels)

Nightlight: Light turns on at full brightness. Power cycle to start nightlight mode. Light gradually fades to dim over the next 20 minutes.

Beacon later partnered with Philips Lighting and Anglo Brothers Company to market bulbs under the Philips IQ and the ABCO "Smart Bulb" which had the device incorporated into the center contact of the screw base. Beacon Technologies disappeared in the mid 2000 but just last year, a company called Smart Electric appeared selling incandescent bulbs based on the old ABCO/Westinghouse Smart Bulb design.

One of my outdoor lighting projects I had in mind needed some type of automatic "fade to nightlight" mode circuit to control power to a set of Sylvania Sunset-Effect LED floodlights which changed from 3000k at full brightness to an orange "Sodium Vapor Lamp" color when dimmed. I found a device called the Sunset Dimmer which will do exactly what I want but they only made a limited number of them and don't plan to produce any more.