IMR battery uses

Tex S

Newly Enlightened
It is my understanding that IMR cells are to be used in high drain devices. What would constitute as a high drain device?

I have several flashlights and none of them have tested over 2 amps when I take a current draw measurement from the tail cap (if I'm even doing it right :naughty:).

Would 1.5 to 2 amps be considered a low, high, or average current draw?

I'm wondering if IMR batteries might be of use to me, but I'm still kinda new at this.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 16340 and 14500, 1.5A-2A is high and IMR would be preferred.
For 18650, 1.5A-2A is within normal drain and higher capacity ICR would be preferred over IMR.

Check out HKJ's battery comparer:
http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650comparator.php

You can compare different batteries at different amp settings.
From the 18650 comparer I've noticed that around 3 and 5 amps the IMR's performs better in most cases.
Also IMRs are considered a safer chemistry than ICR.

Tex S

Newly Enlightened
High power incans in small hosts come to mind.

Like a SF 9P with a P90 or P91? I am running a light like this on ICR 17500's now, but I think there is nothing offered in IMR in a 17500.

I had a LF HO-9 but it broke when I accidentally dropped the light.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMR's cover a fairly wide range, but some can delivery up to 30 amps from an 18650. The protection (if so equipped) on most 18650's is at about 4.5 amps. My own view is that if you need more than 3 amps from an 18650, you probably would be better off with either an IMR cell or a Hybrid like the NCF18650PF (which is rated at up to 10 amps). Unfortunately we tend to talk about flashlights in terms of lumens rather than amps. The rule of thumb for current lights is they can delivery about 100 lumens per watts. So any light that delivers more than 1000 lumens per 18650 cell in the pack would probably run better with an IMR or Hybrid cell. We now have a number of lights that do in fact delivery more than 1000 lumens per cell in the battery pack. I think the general rule is that if the expected discharge rate materially exceeds C, you are probably better off with an IMR or a Hybrid. If it exceeds 3C, forget the hydrid and stick with a true IMR.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What Matt just said rings true to me too.

I'll add that I tend to look at the light's circuitry, as some can take advantage of added amps, and some can't. I have some lights that DON'T require, as far as their specs, to need IMR, but, because of their regulation, they are brighter with IMR than with ICR, etc.

For example, my Klarus XT11 runs brighter if I use two cells (Added voltage) and brighter yet again if they are IMR (Added amps). Some other lights might be brighter with added voltage, but not added amperage, and visa versa, depending upon how they operate.

IE: The XT11 was rated at ~ 600 lumens on an 18650 (XML T6), which would be less than the 1000 L value used in Matt's example, but, with 2 CR123, it jumped to ~ 650, and with two 16340, to ~ 750 L, and with two IMR 16340, to ~ 850 L, and with two IMR 18350, to ~ 1,000 L...and that's on the XML T6, not the newer XML2 version....which is going to be even brighter. So using IMR can change the output, on SOME lights.

So, I simply try a few combinations, note what does what, or doesn't, and take it from there.

:D

Last edited:

Enlightened
The protection (if so equipped) on most 18650's is at about 4.5 amps.
Isn't it actually north of 5A? I don't actually have any lamps that take that much current so I'm just going by the battery reviews posted here. I don't think I've seen protection circuits on 18650s that trigger at 4.5A.

ven

Flashaholic
Some of my uses are for ecig VV mods,so use some IMR cells ,but most i dont need and good standard cells like LG/sanyo/pany are fine as dont push my equipment like others do ...........

The highest drain light i have iirc is the x3vn and with an IMR 26650 kinoko of vinhs, testing it measured 9.6A so i use a kinoko cell in mine too.

Other lights like my tn35vn which is "only" 3500lm i would be ok to use pany cells,BUT i cant fit them due to the carrier mods.I use KeepPower IMR 2100mah 30A ,so another benefit on some carriers/lights that may prefer a shorter cell for food.Some cells are 70mm,some a little over and can be tight or even damage...........
I tried IMR KPs and Pany standard and to my eye could not notice a difference,so over 2100mah or 3100mah( for example) a longer run time, but the pany cells may not perform as well for as long even though run time is more on the pany cells.........

mm15vn which is 6.5A per cell, would happily run on pany PFs 10A cells,but decided on more KeepPowers at time for no real reason

now i have the sony vtc5 30A at 2600mah so a little longer run time.

My tk75vn at around 4400lm i use pany protected cells and work fine for 4.5A ,might test on some IMR and see if i can see any difference!
For smaller lights,v11r and d25cvn/d25a,

i use these cells or KeepPowers

Which brings me on to another thought,depending on use,you may require 4hrs+ of medium power(just an example here) and as IMR tend to be lower mah,a higher capacity cell would be more advantageous for longer run times.

For the use of Tex ,any good brand cells will be fine,no need for IMR imo,you may see a difference in output(depends on light etc) and then you would have to consider an extra X amount of lumens Vs less run time for your use/s.

I think the PFs that matt mentioned offer a good all round choice at 10A and 2900mah for 18650 cells,good value for money too:thumbsup:
so i will be getting some PFs at a later date;)

ven

Flashaholic
Isn't it actually north of 5A? I don't actually have any lamps that take that much current so I'm just going by the battery reviews posted here. I don't think I've seen protection circuits on 18650s that trigger at 4.5A.

Maybe some cells trigger,i know of some tripping in some lights,tk75vn as i mentioned above,but these run fine at 4.5A:thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned
VEN QUOTE:

I think the PFs that matt mentioned offer a good all round choice at 10A and 2900mah for 18650 cells,good value for money too:thumbsup:
so i will be getting some PFs at a later date;)

Capolini says!!

Good info. Ven: ;) There does seem to be an improvement w/ these. Now there are NCR
18650BD 3200mAh 10A MAX. continuous discharge.IS has them for a good price. :thumbsup:

:)

ven

Flashaholic
Good point roberto,yes the bd cells too now at 3200mah...............we are getting there:thumbsup: