Building my own flashlight (with the knowledge I have)?

BrOZe

Newly Enlightened
I have been going to school for about 2 months now. In school I have learned about DC circuits, AC circuits, Analog, and am currently on Digital circuits. It is a very fast paced class to the point where you know the basics of Electronics, but probably wouldn't ace a test from the beginning in DC circuits like you did when you where on that part. I've done a ton of hands on mainly identifying faulty components, and circuits on a circuit board connected to a machine which powers the circuit called a NIDA trainer. What comes with it is a lot of math, and I have a ton of notes from class on the formulas needed. Basically what I know now I think I would probably be able to build my own flashlight. When I say this I don't mean it as a joke, I would like it to be as powerful as I can get it.

My real question is If I went to radioshack to pick up some circuit boards, and components, with a soldering iron ,and multimeter to make this thing, would I be able to make it properly with the basic math, and knowledge I have now, or would I need everything they have us use in my class to make it properly which includes, an oscilloscope, NIDA trainer, function generator, and frequency counter because it's a bit over my budget.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, BrOZe! :wave:

Soldering iron will do, multimeter is very helpful. Also you need a DC power source. In the case of flashlights, one that can vary output voltage in the range of ~2.5-4.5V would be handy. For example an LM317 based ehm... something. :D A breadboard would help to minimize soldering during experimentation, but you can do without.

What on earth would you need an oscilloscope, Nida trainer, function generator, or frequency counter for, to put together a flashlight? :thinking: (disclaimer: I know what each of those things are, and how / what to use it for. Don't own any of that kit though... :) )

P.S. There's ready made LED boards, drivers and flashlight hosts out there. In fact: a lot of those, in a number of different sizes too. For example FastTech has got a nice selection (I can personally recommend the Convoy S2, very nice host, and cheap! Paired it with an AK-47A driver myself).

What kind of flashlight + power source for that light do you have in mind?

RepProdigious

Enlightened
Read up a bit on thermal management as well if you want to build a silly bright flashlight that you would be able to use at least twice. All the energy from your circuit that's not being turned into light (and some that is) will be converted to heat and its not too difficult for that heat to build up to the point where it will start de-soldering stuff or worse.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah I highly doubt you need an oscilloscope or anything major. it's a lot simpler than that if you're pulling parts from places, but maybe you'd need one if you were literally chipping and programming your own driver perhaps.

radioshack might not have all that you'd really want IMO. I'd highly recommend sourcing from online vendors. check out Illumn.com for example