Need T12 Replacement Fixture for Bathroom Please

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3 foot T12 fixture that is hidden above a large box with a translucent plastic panel in my bathroom. The ballast has gone bad and given my financial situation, I'd like to find a quick fix to tide me over until I can do a remodel in a year or two.

-I'd like to keep the price below $60.
-I'm thinking it's better to get a new fixture and upgrade from T12 rather than just replacing the ballast.
-It can be ugly since it's hidden.
-The current fixture is 3 feet long and is a tight squeeze, so maybe something shorter would be best.
-The current F30T12 bulb brightness is sufficient so around 120 watt brightness should work.
-The replacement bulbs should be readily available, energy efficient and reasonably priced.

Can someone recommend a good cheap option? Thanks!

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
How about replacing the ballast with an electronic T8 ballast and using T8 bulbs? The T8 pin spacing is identical to T12 pin spacing so all you will need to replace is the ballast.

You'll need to determine whether your current ballast/fixture is instant start or not. If it is instant start there will be only one wire going to each end of each bulb, and your replacement ballast will need to be instant start. If there are two wires connected to each end of each bulb then your existing ballast is probably rapid start, but it might be programmed start. You can then use any kind of replacement ballast, connecting the two wires from each bulb end in parallel to the single wire on the instant start ballast.

My house came with two T12 fixtures in the kitchen with rapid start ballasts. When the first ballast went bad I replaced the whole fixture with a T8 instant start fixture, not realizing I could replace just the ballast. When the ballast on the other fixture went bad I discovered the option of replacing just the ballast. I was able to buy a GE programmed start ballast on eBay for about $15. Replacing just the ballast was much easier than replacing the whole fixture. The instant start fixture comes on slightly faster, but it has already burned out one bulb in less than two years.

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I have been considering an install of a T8 ballast. My current T12 ballast is a rapid start. One concern is the availability of 3 foot T8 bulbs. It seems like 4ft and 2ft are more readily available, though I may be wrong on this point. Another concern is the fixture itself was probably installed in 1970, though it does seem to be functional besides the ballast.

When all is said and done, I may take your advice. Can you point me to the ballast you installed?

Anyone else have some input on a T5, LED or other bulb type option?

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
I got a GE232-MVPS-N ballast, which is for a 2-tube fixture. The equivalent for a 4-tube fixture is GE432-MVPS-N. The only real advantage of programmed start over instant start is that the bulbs last longer, but if you are planning to remodel soon and replace the fixture, instant start ballasts are cheaper and easier to find. Especially if you end up buying a ballast off eBay make sure you pay attention to ballast factor, which indicates how much power the ballast puts through the bulb and therefore how bright the bulb is. You probably want "Normal", which is close to 1.0.

I agree that 3 foot tubes aren't as common, but they shouldn't be that hard to find. Home Depot carries a Philips F30T8 3000K bulb.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
I got a GE232-MVPS-N ballast, which is for a 2-tube fixture. The equivalent for a 4-tube fixture is GE432-MVPS-N. The only real advantage of programmed start over instant start is that the bulbs last longer, but if you are planning to remodel soon and replace the fixture, instant start ballasts are cheaper and easier to find. Especially if you end up buying a ballast off eBay make sure you pay attention to ballast factor, which indicates how much power the ballast puts through the bulb and therefore how bright the bulb is. You probably want "Normal", which is close to 1.0.

I agree that 3 foot tubes aren't as common, but they shouldn't be that hard to find. Home Depot carries a Philips F30T8 3000K bulb.

The third number in the GE code is for the number of lamps the ballast will operate. In this case the GE232-IS-N ballast is made to operate only two lamps, whether they're 2', 3' or 4' (read the fine print on the label). As to the F30T8 lamp, that one was made for a magnetic ballast. You want the 36", F25T8 (not the 48"). That one is made for using on an electronic ballast. Installing the instant start ballast is quite easy. Just run the red wire to the old yellows and run one blue to the old blues and other blue to the old reds.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
How do you know the F30T8 is for a magnetic ballast? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

The F30T8 was an alternative lamp used in place of a standard F30T12 in places where the T12 would not fit. Most places that I ever found them was in appliances, vending machines etc. My parents had one in an old washing machine made in the 60's (lit up the dials and top area). I honestly can't think of any treason for a retail store to stock these. They probably would work on an electronic ballast. Some lamps made for a magnetic ballast won't perform well on electronics. They will run dim and/or hyper flash.

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. I could use some help identifying a T8 ballast from a trustworthy brand. It seems the 3ft single lamp models are less common. Rapid start is preferable since it's for a bathroom. Will a GE 2 lamp model work? I've identified a T12 option, but thought it would be best to upgrade. Thanks for any help.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback. I could use some help identifying a T8 ballast from a trustworthy brand. It seems the 3ft single lamp models are less common. Rapid start is preferable since it's for a bathroom. Will a GE 2 lamp model work? I've identified a T12 option, but thought it would be best to upgrade. Thanks for any help.

I'd just go with an instant start...they're cheaper, easier to find and will fire up your F25T8 lamp. Anything from GE, Advance (Philips) or Sylvania will work well. Don't install off-branded stuff...they usually don't last. Advance also makes a rapid/program start ballast that wires like a instant start. Maybe check into one of those.