Nitecore EA4(1) + zoom lens?

stroodl

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,
I'm thinking of buying Nitecore EA41. I checked the flashlight in a local shop and I really like it when it comes to dimensions, weight, output, AAs and so.
The only problem is that now I'm using some chinese 26650 body with custom internals AND a zoom lens. I just love this feature and I worry that buying EA41 would be a huge step backwards.

What I was thinking about - would it be possible to use a zoom lens (like http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S020963) and use it in a custom 'tube' holder?

Its not the question of making the holder. Its all about optics which I dont understand too much. How should I choose the lens so that I can zoom all the way out although I cannot put the LED too close to the lens? Can it cause a problem that theres already a reflector and the light would enter the lens focused? (in my current flashlight theres no reflector)

I know theres a possibility of using a diffuser but I dont really like it.

If the answer is NO, is it easy to disassembly the front part of EA4 and take out the reflector? I would lathe a custom lens holder and put it inside but I would like it to be interchangeable easily because of rain etc.

Thank you guys,

Ondra

James3

Enlightened
If your going to the trouble of making a custom host with a aspherical lens then it would be a waste to take the internals out of the EA41, if this is what you mean, if you make your custom host then put in a 6A FET driver with de domed XML2 on noctigon MCPCB, then work out the focal length of the lens what suits you best. Then you will still have your EA41 in tact.

I don't know about the EA41 but I have in the past taken the reflector out of a nitecore de-domed the led and put in an aspherical lens, non-zoom obviously.

If I wasn't clear on anything let me know

stroodl

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I dont want to take out the internals. I wanted to make a lens tube-like holder to which the front part of the flashlight goes (cannot explain better, bad english) so that the flashlight itself remains untouched - it would be just optional accessory.
If theres a problem with the focal length and the impossibility to put the lens close enough to the emitter, I would like to make a tube-like alu lens holder which goes instead of the reflector..
Btw what is a de-domed LED?:)

James3

Enlightened
Ok I get you, I don't know how you will do that though, I think you'd be better off getting a crelant or derrelight with the aspherical head, yes you could in theory machine an aluminium tube to fit inside the head without the reflector, then find the distance from the emitter you want.

a de domed led is whee you take the dome off the top to increase throw, you do lose some lumens but can double/triple the lux.

Check the link in my signature to see what a dedomed LED is

Bob Damon

Enlightened
If you keep looking at quality flashlights, you will notice they don't have a zoom feature found in the inexpensive models.
I suggest you get the EA41 and if you still think it should zoom, talk with the good folks in the modding forums and they can help you future out what to do.

stroodl

Newly Enlightened
Yes, kind of:) I think I've got a good idea how to do that without making it bulky. It requires a bit of lathe machining but if it works it would look like it is made by Nitecore;) I will just try it and see what happens.

Anyway, I bought EA41 from fasttech.com. They list it for $52 shipped and have it in stock. Thats even less than EA4, hows that possible?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, kind of:) I think I've got a good idea how to do that without making it bulky. It requires a bit of lathe machining but if it works it would look like it is made by Nitecore;) I will just try it and see what happens.

Ahh cool, I'd like to see it. Well, for the EA4, look for a lens that is 36mm diameter with a lip. That should fit the bezel. I think finding a focal point of 28-30mm may be a bit harder as the EA4 is quite deep. Mind you, I have a fresnel lens that is 30mm focal lenth. I don't have an EA4 but was thinking of cutting down to size for my D40A.