Can I use my current 18650's or should a I get some new ones? 2Cell setup!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I'm asumeing it would be OK, but want to ask anyways.

I just orderd a 2*18650 light, the BC30vn.

I currently have two Xtar 3400mah cells, they were both new and bought together St the same time, so they are same cell, same age, same brand blah blah blah, but!

But I have not been using them as a pair, so it is quite possible one jhas more charge cycles than the other, however both have under 10 or 20 cycles at the most.

Will these be OK to use in this light or are they now unmatched}änƒDº`OËPÈ�N›ýœ½>‹jQˆä!©

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well generally we like to use new, fresh cells of equal capacity/health, in multi-cell lights, so it depends on how close to one another, or not, they've become over time.

If you run them down to 3.6v and charge them back up, what voltage do they both generally charge up to? If they're really close, than maybe you can get by using them?

Chris

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to buy new cells at the same time...just look at it as part of the cost of a light.

There is natural variation among individual cells, so there really is no such thing as a perfect matched pair (although quality Panasonics are pretty darn close). How old are they? If less than six months old, I would definitely feel comfortable using them together. If older than that, I would be more comfortable going with a fresh pair. Just my rule of thumb...the six month limit is arbitrary, but sometimes practicality has to win out.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
No idea on age, less than a year but can't say for sure if less than siz months, no biggie I will just buy some more cells can't hurt, will just find another use for my 18650s OK have currently.

They match in voltage perfectly when charged up =)

I will stick them in my Xtar WPS2? And use the power bank feature, not smallest in the world but no issue. A 6800mah power bank is not to be sniffed at, its a lower power application and I am happy to stick them in it together.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to play with single cells, go to Fasttech.com and look at the Convoy lights like the S2, M1 and M2. All are under $24, shipping is free and you can mix and match driver board currents and tints.

They're well built lights that don't break the bank, but they only run on 18650 li-ions.

I'm happy with the above three that I bought back in March.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chris, great advise.

Convoy lights are operating somewhat under the radar, but they pack a big punch. If you go with the smaller lights like the S2, you might want to go with the easier, lower current boards like the 1.0A and 1.4A jobbies. I got the 2.8A boards for all three and while the bigger M1 and M2 lights can do a better job of mitigating heat, my little S2 gets hot on 'high' pretty quickly, so think about it before you buy, if you do.

3 modes/5 modes/2 groups and they all do a pretty good job for not a lot of cash.

Chris