How can I power this ?

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
I put together a camp light using a Baja Design Rock Light and I need a light weight, small and slick battery to power it. I'd like to attach it to the tripod somehow or at least use Velcro or something like that. I'm not interested in using a battery off of a power tool because we don't carry power tools with us when we're on the road.

Thanks, Brad

Attachments

• 9EF63056-36A9-4249-A313-AD3C06E11BF5.jpeg
    9EF63056-36A9-4249-A313-AD3C06E11BF5.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 107
  • 7A2C63FC-027B-401D-A849-59AE765E1058.jpeg
    7A2C63FC-027B-401D-A849-59AE765E1058.jpeg
    507.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 1E44B40F-C3B7-4FC7-9FC0-4D149B146C4A.jpeg
    1E44B40F-C3B7-4FC7-9FC0-4D149B146C4A.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 115

dragosios

Newly Enlightened
Some power tools batteries meet your 12v requirement.
If you don't want that, then you need to make one yourself. LiFePo4 should give you the closest match and if you add some BMS then you should have a pack which lasts a while.
If you don't have tools to make it, look into RC community around you, they may guide you to a shop which can manufacture this. Or use a 3S LiPo pack with added protection.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A ~65 watt load running all night is going to take some battery capacity. Tell us more about your parameters? What method and how often would you like to have to recharge? How long will you be using it nightly?

I would definitely go with a smaller LFP if recharging will be frequent.
Expect to pay more, but if treated appropriately will last 10+ years. Lithium chemistry can easily be discharged much more deeply than lead acid. If weight is important, LFP all the way. You can go with the kind of batteries we use in flashlights but it is more dangerous if things go wrong.

Something like this is a retail option and will cost more for shipping. What region are you located? Cheap stuff on Amaramazon is available online.

If you are looking for cheaper and are ok with lead acid chemistry, checking your local battery sources for perhaps an absorbed glass mat or gel motorcycle sized battery might work. Easier to return if a problem and will not have to pay shipping.

Used LFP can be had for a good price but run the risk of unimpressive performance. (Batteryhookup)

Eastern United States has this store but once again shipping and a retail price:

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
A ~65 watt load running all night is going to take some battery capacity. Tell us more about your parameters? What method and how often would you like to have to recharge? How long will you be using it nightly?

I would definitely go with a smaller LFP if recharging will be frequent.
Expect to pay more, but if treated appropriately will last 10+ years. Lithium chemistry can easily be discharged much more deeply than lead acid. If weight is important, LFP all the way. You can go with the kind of batteries we use in flashlights but it is more dangerous if things go wrong.

Something like this is a retail option and will cost more for shipping. What region are you located? Cheap stuff on Amaramazon is available online.

If you are looking for cheaper and are ok with lead acid chemistry, checking your local battery sources for perhaps an absorbed glass mat or gel motorcycle sized battery might work. Easier to return if a problem and will not have to pay shipping.

Used LFP can be had for a good price but run the risk of unimpressive performance. (Batteryhookup)

Eastern United States has this store but once again shipping and a retail price:

Max 6hrs is all we need. This light is for outdoor cooking, late night wood run and general campsite stuff. I'm located in Philadelphia and would like built in charging either USB or 110v

Thanks for your help!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you able to charge it during each day? If not, how many nights do you need up to 6 hours?

Maybe a good sized powerbank? What can be ideal is if you go larger and get a inverter integrated with the battery. Then it can easily be used for other 110V AC devices.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Brad I understand what you'd like, but the idea on built in charger, all you're doing is carrying that part of the system along with you.
Either way you have to recharge....including a powerbank.

it's a 12V DC light

The 3S lipo would be fine, you need an inexpensive charger for that.
The small AGM battery would work also, need a charger for that too.
A powerbank with a regulated 12V 'out' would work also, if it can produce enough amps
,,much more $$$ & that will need to be recharged.

I'd do the lipo, simply because they do not flinch at high wattage & is a light clean setup.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
Are you able to charge it during each day? If not, how many nights do you need up to 6 hours?

Maybe a good sized powerbank? What can be ideal is if you go larger and get a inverter integrated with the battery. Then it can easily be used for other 110V AC devices.
We have a Sprinter Van that has a lifepo4 system/inverter etc. I just use this light out chopping firewood, cooking on the fire at night and general campsite maintenance. Realistically we would probably use it for 2-3 hours a night over a 3 day weekend.

Bravo30

Newly Enlightened
+

Brad I understand what you'd like, but the idea on built in charger, all you're doing is carrying that part of the system along with you.
Either way you have to recharge....including a powerbank.

it's a 12V DC light

The 3S lipo would be fine, you need an inexpensive charger for that.
The small AGM battery would work also, need a charger for that too.
A powerbank with a regulated 12V 'out' would work also, if it can produce enough amps
,,much more $$$ & that will need to be recharged.

I'd do the lipo, simply because they do not flinch at high wattage & is a light clean setup.

I just ordered the 3s and considering this charger that popped up on Amazon. Thoughts?

SUPULSE Lipo Battery Charger 1-6S LiPo Li-ion Life LiHV 1-15S NiCd NiMH PB Smart Battery Dual AC/DC 80W RC Car Balance Battery Charger Discharger Tamiya, XT60, EC 3 and JST Connectors https://a.co/d/hzoRn6l

Attachments

• 778B0791-1A16-4771-96AC-4C887913C3C5.jpeg
    778B0791-1A16-4771-96AC-4C887913C3C5.jpeg
    684.4 KB · Views: 68

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered the 3s and considering this charger that popped up on Amazon. Thoughts?

SUPULSE Lipo Battery Charger 1-6S LiPo Li-ion Life LiHV 1-15S NiCd NiMH PB Smart Battery Dual AC/DC 80W RC Car Balance Battery Charger Discharger Tamiya, XT60, EC 3 and JST Connectors https://a.co/d/hzoRn6l
+

That charger will work ^^^^^^^^^^

Lipo chargers all have very similar UI, make sure you set it to Balance Mode when charging.
(there are several modes)
80 Watts is fine for one battery, just set it to 3S in Balance Mode and put the Amps to say 7A... it will not go past 80W and that's safe for one lipo.
Remember to connect the little white balance lead from battery (to make sure the cells are the same voltage)

The battery has a Deans connector, you'll have to adapt your light or the battery to connectors that are the same.

I know that sounds like alot, it really isn't,, getting into hobby stuff a bit & that's ok :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Brad, don't forget the voltage checker/ low voltage alarm,, there's no electronics between the battery & light,
so you need the alarm as to not over-discharge your battery.. they are plenty loud.
(you could manually check the voltage w/ a multimeter, but the little alarm is a easier bet)